Zone1 Do Atheists Implicitly Believe in "God"?

I don't know about the meaning of life but the goal is to have as much fun as possible. Life is short. 100 years goes by fast. Don't blink.

Just a feeling. And I vote for people who won't go to war in Iraq. Like Clinton and Gore. The Bush's on both sides of them had hardons for war in the middle east.

This is why I don't like charity. Do you want me to send money to Israel? Why when my government already sends $3 trillion a year?
All over the world people are suffering from this, that, or the other. The news doesn't even try to cover it all, and that is probably impossible anyway. And there is nothing I can do about it anyway.

Decades ago I realized that while I could not do a thing for tragedy happening all over the planet, I could care fiercely for the people (even strangers) I come into contact with in my everyday life. I can bring caring, I can bring peace. No, it is not world peace, and helping someone pick up items from a grocery bag that split open isn't a great heroic act--it is simply all I can do in the part of the world where I am. I've been known to rescue worms off a sidewalk, and as I do I wonder how about the hungry bird or starving ants I have deprived of a meal.

So, I pray for strength and courage upon others who are in so many worse circumstances so that they may be truly heroic in helping those whose needs are so much greater than a worm's floundering on a sidewalk.

As for voting...shrug...have to admit I am kind of getting to the point of admiring those who refuse to vote or take part in politics, politics being such a dirty business.

All over the world people are suffering from this, that, or the other. The news doesn't even try to cover it all, and that is probably impossible anyway. And there is nothing I can do about it anyway.

Decades ago I realized that while I could not do a thing for tragedy happening all over the planet, I could care fiercely for the people (even strangers) I come into contact with in my everyday life. I can bring caring, I can bring peace. No, it is not world peace, and helping someone pick up items from a grocery bag that split open isn't a great heroic act--it is simply all I can do in the part of the world where I am. I've been known to rescue worms off a sidewalk, and as I do I wonder how about the hungry bird or starving ants I have deprived of a meal.

So, I pray for strength and courage upon others who are in so many worse circumstances so that they may be truly heroic in helping those whose needs are so much greater than a worm's floundering on a sidewalk.

As for voting...shrug...have to admit I am kind of getting to the point of admiring those who refuse to vote or take part in politics, politics being such a dirty business.

commonly divide the middle class into two sub-groups. Constituting roughly 15% to 20% of households is the upper or professional middle class consisting of highly educated, salaried professionals and managers. Constituting roughly one third of households is the lower middle class consisting mostly of semi-professionals, skilled craftsmen and lower-level management. Middle-class persons commonly have a comfortable standard of living, significant economic security, considerable work autonomy and rely on their expertise to sustain themselves.

Members of the middle class belong to diverse groups which overlap with each other. Overall, middle-class persons, especially upper-middle-class individuals, are characterized by conceptualizing, creating and consulting. Thus, college education is one of the main indicators of middle-class status. Largely attributed to the nature of middle-class occupations, middle class values tend to emphasize independence, adherence to intrinsic standards, valuing innovation and respecting non-conformity.[2][4] The middle class is more politically active than other demographics.

I think you and I can agree that the only problem in America is the middle class is not what it once was. The rich are fine. And there will always be poor people. The secret is to have a big fat middle class. Then no excuse for anyone who's poor.

But who doesn't want a big fat happy well off middle class? Corporations. They want to pay workers less not more. They don't want workers to have job security. They don't care that middle class people aren't saving enough to retire. In fact they lobby the government to raise your retirement age to 70. You like that?

The meaning of life is to become close to God.
I don't believe in God. So I have a different meaning. Not everyone has the same meaning. You aren't mother theresa. To her the meaning of life is to help as many people as possible. To leave the planet better off than when she came into it.

You may say that's coming closer to God but this is another example of where God isn't necessary. You only need God for your own selfish reasons. You don't want to die. You want your soul to continue on after your body dies. Wishful thinking.

So to you the meaning in life is wishful thinking?

P.S. How much closer to God can you get? Since you are as close as you'll ever get, why not just kill yourself and go off to heaven? I mean, mission accomplished. In fact, if you live long enough you might start doubting and become further from God than you are now.

We see why our primitive ancestors came up with the God concept.
The meaning of life is to become close to God.

religion could also have evolved into a matter of convenience - worship what the person need not accomplish themselves - to save themselves ... the least denominator for a spirit - less existence.

truth be told, become a god while living - or perish. all in the heavens are equal.

But no one does.
I'm sure many sociopaths and psychopaths do.

Normal people also don't leave behind the concept of basic arithmetic. Because it is useful. As is the idea of fairness. There is no need to enter sky daddies or zombie kings into the transaction.

We see why our primitive ancestors came up with the God concept. How could this all be? Must have been made for us.

But the more we know the more we realize this wasn't made for us. Why would God make beautiful flowers but then hide rattlesnakes behind them? That's a quote from Yellowstone.

Yes, even I talk to God though Ding. Can't help it. Was I born this way or was it put into my head? If 100 babies were born on an island and had AI nanny who didn't tell them about religion, would they come up with it? First they would ponder how they got there. Would they figure out that two adults fucked and that's how they were made? Or would they conclude a God POOFED them into existence?
That's how you see it. That's not how I see it. Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean others have a hard time figuring it out. But hey, if you want to believe that the universe popping into existence being hardwired to produce beings that know and create was an accident, go for it.

I'm sure many sociopaths and psychopaths do.

Normal people also don't leave behind the concept of basic arithmetic. Because it is useful. As is the idea of fairness. There is no need to enter sky daddies or zombie kings into the transaction.
For me atheism is an intellectual dead end that requires no intelligence and offers no peace through the storms of life. I'm at peace. Are you?

I don't know about the meaning of life but the goal is to have as much fun as possible. Life is short. 100 years goes by fast. Don't blink.
If then purpose in life is to have fun, you wouldn't be destined to die.

For me atheism is an intellectual dead end that requires no intelligence and offers no peace through the storms of life. I'm at peace. Are you?
I sure am. And I require no delusions about magical happy land after death to be at peace.

I would say that puts me more at peace than those of faith, who struggle mightily with the idea of death to the point of adopting childish delusion.

I sure am. And I require no delusions about magical happy land after death to be at peace.

I would say that puts me more at peace than those of faith, who struggle mightily with the idea of death to the point of adopting childish delusion.
I don't believe you are. You speak angrily towards anyone that has a different opinion than yours. That's not a sign of someone who is at peace with himself.

I don't believe you are. You speak angrily towards anyone that has a different opinion than yours. That's not a sign of someone who is at peace with himself.
Nobody wants to hear a grown man whine. Have a timeout or something.

Ding has a bad problem of doing exactly that of which he accuses others, while he is accusing them.

maybe ..

1700096196403.png

they will recover ... i doubt it though, he's from texas - when that gone the door probably is shut forever.

Imagine there is no "god." Imagine there is no afterlife...no reward for a life of virtue and no punishment for a life of evil. Imagine that you do not believe that humans are somehow "children of god" or intrinsically more "valuable" than animals and plants.

Now given this set of non-beliefs, would you care about thousands of people being killed on the other side of the world - people whom you do not know, and nobody you ever encounter would know? If so, why?

Would you care about the carnage that goes on in our inner cities every weekend?

Would you care about any tragedies that don't affect you or your posse? Why?

If you do care about these things, please explain.
You Can Use That Strawman to Burn People at the Stake

Forum List

Back