Zone1 Do Atheists Implicitly Believe in "God"?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Imagine there is no "god." Imagine there is no afterlife...no reward for a life of virtue and no punishment for a life of evil. Imagine that you do not believe that humans are somehow "children of god" or intrinsically more "valuable" than animals and plants.

Now given this set of non-beliefs, would you care about thousands of people being killed on the other side of the world - people whom you do not know, and nobody you ever encounter would know? If so, why?

Would you care about the carnage that goes on in our inner cities every weekend?

Would you care about any tragedies that don't affect you or your posse? Why?

If you do care about these things, please explain.

Imagine there is no "god." Imagine there is no afterlife...no reward for a life of virtue and no punishment for a life of evil. Imagine that you do not believe that humans are somehow "children of god" or intrinsically more "valuable" than animals and plants.

Now given this set of non-beliefs, would you care about thousands of people being killed on the other side of the world - people whom you do not know, and nobody you ever encounter would know? If so, why?

Would you care about the carnage that goes on in our inner cities every weekend?

If you do care about these things, please explain

Atheists do things in life not because they fear God will be angry with them or fear Hell

They do it because it is the right thing to do

The Golden Rule goes a long way.

Last edited:

Only an atheist can fully appreciate and value human life here on Earth. If you believe in an afterlife you could say "kill them all and let God sort it out". An atheist could never say that.

Of course atheists are as human as anyone else and as susceptible to greed and power as everyone else is.

Atheists are willing to accept……You live your life and then you die.

We don’t need the promise of life after death. We can accept death in ourselves and our loved ones

Tell me you don't know the definition of the word "atheist" without saying you don't know the definition of the word "atheist".

Atheists are bad, mkay?

Is it really so hard to understand?

"empathy​

noun

em·pa·thy ˈem-pə-thē

Synonyms of empathy
: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another"

Is it possible you do not know of empathy?

Atheists do things in life not because they fear God will be angry with them or fear Hell

The thing about atheists is they don't believe in rules unless the consequences are immediate and easily evident.

I have yet to meet the atheist who believes sex outside marriage is morally wrong.

What?? Where did you get that idea? What's that got to do with atheism?
You just proved my point. Atheists don't even understand why morality should be an issue. They don't understand the concept of it.

When I was 22, I went out with a beautiful atheist girl who offered me sex on a silver platter. It was right there for the taking, but I turned her down and explained why. She acted like something was wrong with me. She had never in her life heard that sex outside marriage was immoral. Earlier in the evening I had asked if she was Catholic and she scoffed at the notion and told me of her atheism. I was very disappointed because I liked her.

Last edited:
You just proved my point. Atheists don't even understand why morality should be an issue. They don't understand the concept of it.

When I was 22, I went out with a beautiful atheist girl who offered me sex on a silver platter. It was right there for the taking, but I turned her down and explained why. She acted like something was wrong with me. She had never in her life heard that sex outside marriage was immoral. Earlier in the evening I had asked if she was Catholic and she scoffed at the notion and told me of her atheism. I was very disappointed because I liked her.
WTF are you blubbering about? What do "loose women" have to do with atheism???

The problem with that is that you have no objective basis for "right" vs "wrong." If it's subjective, it is meaningless.

C.S Lewis was an atheist who realized that:

quote-1604.jpg

The problem with that is that you have no objective basis for "right" vs "wrong." If it's subjective, it is meaningless.

C.S Lewis was an atheist who realized that:

quote-1604.jpg
Not really
Doing the right thing does not require God

You act like atheism is this isolated belief when it comes with a whole set of other beliefs.
That's called a bigoted stereotype. It's like me assuming that because you're a Christian - you're also dangling from Trump's testicles. But that's a totally unfair insult.

Not really
Doing the right thing does not require God

That's not what I said. Of course people can do the right thing without believing in God.

What we're saying is, who decides what is "right" or not right? Most atheists claim that morality is subjective. Again, if it's subjective then there's no such thing as a true right or wrong. That's one of the problems with atheism, it simply cannot account for an objective right / wrong.

Forum List

Back