Detroit was Hockeytown!!! <snicker>

I thought Gretzky moved around more than that. And I didn't know he played for the Oilers.

And I dind't know Montreal won that many times. WOW!!!

When's the last time they won?

And at 16 years without the Cup this is by far their worst slump. Prior to 1993 the most they'd ever gone without winning the Cup was 7 years.

Isn't that back when hockey was different? I heard something about how if Gretzky was playing today, he wouldn't be as dominant.

Even if you disagree, what am I talking about? <snip>

truly this is the essence of bobo.
:lol:

And at 16 years without the Cup this is by far their worst slump. Prior to 1993 the most they'd ever gone without winning the Cup was 7 years.

Isn't that back when hockey was different? I heard something about how if Gretzky was playing today, he wouldn't be as dominant.

Fuck you bitch! :lol: I'm admitting I don't know all the details, but I have heard that gretzky played in a pussy era or the expanded the number of teams and hockey got watered down. Or the rules changed and you couldn't hit him. Or a combo of all three.

But I wanted someone with more knowledge of hockey to explain in better detail. Of course you said NOTHING Del. :lol:

Now run along troll. Hell, you're the king of trolls.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure what a troll means.

Is Del a troll everyone? Even if you disagree, what am I talking about?

Fuck you bitch! :lol: I'm admitting I don't know all the details, but I have heard that gretzky played in a pussy era or the expanded the number of teams and hockey got watered down. Or the rules changed and you couldn't hit him. Or a combo of all three.

But I wanted someone with more knowledge of hockey to explain in better detail. Of course you said NOTHING Del. :lol:

Actually, I'm not 100% sure what a troll means.

Is Del a troll everyone? Even if you disagree, what am I talking about?

robert gordon orr was the greatest player in the history of the nhl. period.

after him there's gretzky, lemieux, howe and richard in no particular order.

fuck you bitch! :lol: I'm admitting i don't know all the details, but i have heard that gretzky played in a pussy era or the expanded the number of teams and hockey got watered down. Or the rules changed and you couldn't hit him. Or a combo of all three.

But i wanted someone with more knowledge of hockey to explain in better detail. Of course you said nothing del. :lol:

Actually, i'm not 100% sure what a troll means.

Is del a troll everyone? Even if you disagree, what am i talking about?

robert gordon orr was the greatest player in the history of the nhl. Period.

After him there's gretzky, lemieux, howe and richard in no particular order.

omg del finally participated!!!!

I like it when people don't put gretzky #1 because he was a pussy who only played one way.

The greatest pussy of all time, but still just a pussy.

That's an obscure thing to brag about. You're in Cali, so I give you the Lakers. Maybe not your city, but close enough.

All you have to say is I live in San Diago and you live in Detroit Sealy so you can have all those good teams.

And I would agree.

Yes, you've got all those great teams like the Lions and Tigers. :lol:

Seriously, though, indoor soccer was actually on the verge of becoming a major sport in the middle / late 1980s. It even got a few games on network television back then. There were something like 20 teams in the MISL for a while. 10 NASL/MISL championships in 11 years was not the obsure thing like a single-A baseball team winning a championship or something. Many of the titles were hard fought and exciting. It was a big deal in San Diego at the time, there would be 13,000 fans showing up for a regular season game on a Tuesday night or whatever. I know younger people won't believe that, but it was true. And, it wasn't the same sport as outdoor soccer either, it was like a cross between hockey and soccer. It was exciting.

Lots of people compared the San Diego Sockers to the New York Yankees in terms of dominance. Of course, San Diego usually has crappy sports teams so people did make a big deal about it.

Last edited:
That's an obscure thing to brag about. You're in Cali, so I give you the Lakers. Maybe not your city, but close enough.

All you have to say is I live in San Diago and you live in Detroit Sealy so you can have all those good teams.

And I would agree.

Seriously, though, indoor soccer was actually on the verge of becoming a major sport in the middle / late 1980s. It even got a few games on network television back then. There were something like 20 teams in the MISL for a while. 10 NASL/MISL championships in 11 years was not the obsure thing like a single-A baseball team winning a championship or something. Many of the titles were hard fought and exciting. It was a big deal in San Diego at the time, there would be 13,000 fans showing up for a regular season game on a Tuesday night or whatever. I know younger people won't believe that, but it was true. And, it wasn't the same sport as outdoor soccer either, it was like a cross between hockey and soccer. It was exciting.

Lots of people compared the San Diego Sockers to the New York Yankees in terms of dominance. Of course, San Diego usually has crappy sports teams so people did make a big deal about it.

First of all, the tigers are going to win a world series this year and the San Diago Padres are not.

Second of all, don't forget the 3 time Piston's champs.

If I was 2 years older, I could say that I have already seen 2 world series championships. 68 with Al Kaline and 84 with Jack Morris & Kirk Gibson, etc.

And if they didn't fuck up a couple of years ago, they could have 3. And at least they went to the world series a couple years ago, so 4 finals in 40 years. One a decade? I'll take that!!! Can San Diago say that?

Lions. Never mind.

Detroit Drive (arena football) They were in six consecutive championship ArenaBowls, one for each season of the team's Detroit existence, winning four of them, making them the dominant team of the League's early period. In 1992 they played in the Northern Division.

The Drive won in 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1992.

WNBA Shock (3 time champs)

Detroit Turbos (lacross) The Turbos won the 1991 MILL Championship.
Detroit Rockers (soccer) The Rockers won the 1991-1992 NPSL Championship

Arena football, indoor soccer, lacrosse, women's basketball...

wait for it...
:rofl:

Yankees are the best because they buy the best players every year in the off season, and they have been struggling recently with the AL east getting even more competitive some how.

I hate the Steelers, but they are the best team in the NFL.

Go wings

People used to say Detroit was the best for the same reason as the Yankees. The owner spared no expense. But then the salary cap came and I thought the Red Wings would no longer dominate, yet somehow they still do.

I Steelers. I hadn't thought about them as being "America's Team". Remember Dallas said they were? I disagree. Yea, Steelers is a good choice.

Reason for that is guys like Zetter signing contracts that are a fraction of what they could command so that there is money available to strengthen the team. And that's exactly why Hossa will probably leave at the end of this series. He's taken 1 year at low $$ to try and get a cup. If he gets one, he'll want the $$ and the Wings don't do that.

And I would agree.

Lions - no disagreement.

Tigers - you might want to check the standings.

Wow, goalies don't get enough love in that top 100 list. People are so enamored with scoring! :tongue:

Pretty good game by the Pens last night to get the series close, but I don't think they're going to be able to overcome the 2-0 hole they started in. The Wings are just too strong.

I don't understand why hockey isn't more popular in the US. As far as I'm concerned it's the best playoffs of the 4 major sports.

Wow, goalies don't get enough love in that top 100 list. People are so enamored with scoring! :tongue:

Pretty good game by the Pens last night to get the series close, but I don't think they're going to be able to overcome the 2-0 hole they started in. The Wings are just too strong.

I don't understand why hockey isn't more popular in the US. As far as I'm concerned it's the best playoffs of the 4 major sports.

I hope and believe you are right, but if the Pens win one more, it'll put the pressure on Detroit, but they will still have home court advantage, but that don't mean much in hockey.

And I remember years where the Wings were doing great and all of the sudden, they got knocked out. I don't think this is one of those years, but I sure with we would have won last night.

If we win tomorrow, its over for the Penguins.

Isn't it funny that in all three games the team that played the best lost every game?

And if Detroit wasn't in the finals, I would not be watching. No interest in hockey other than when Detroit is involved.

People don't care because they didn't play the sport when they were kids maybe.

Even if you disagree, what am I talking about?
The most intellectually honest thing you've ever said....

Congratulations!!

I don't know a lot about hockey but I heard something about Gretzky playing in a different era that wasn't physical.

And I said what I said because I didn't want to argue if it is true or not. I just wanted to know what the word was. Was it that the refs babied him? Was it that there were more teams and the talent was deluted? Or was it that they changed the rules?

Are you stalking me bitch? :lol: You got a man crush on me or something?

Even if you disagree, what am I talking about?

Congratulations!!

I don't know a lot about hockey but I heard something about Gretzky playing in a different era that wasn't physical.

And I said what I said because I didn't want to argue if it is true or not. I just wanted to know what the word was. Was it that the refs babied him? Was it that there were more teams and the talent was deluted? Or was it that they changed the rules?

I personally don't put much stock in what era the player plays in
Hockey is and will still be one of the most physical sports that there is
through out your post on this subject you have called Wayne a Puss
and at the same time you say you don't know much about the sport
then I must assume then you don't know what your talking about
Football, Baseball, Basketball all have the same argument
who cares
If the player is good then base his merits on what he has achieved
nobody will ever know who is the greatest
and the changing of the rules play are large part
The ruling bodies of these organizations want scoring
so they do there best to hamper defense
is it fair no but that is what the causal fan wants
hardcore fans love defense usually, they want the struggle
were your average schmo wants a shootout
espn is part of this problem
the highlight reel gets a lot of attention

Congratulations!!

I personally don't put much stock in what era the player plays in
Hockey is and will still be one of the most physical sports that there is
through out your post on this subject you have called Wayne a Puss
and at the same time you say you don't know much about the sport
then I must assume then you don't know what your talking about
Football, Baseball, Basketball all have the same argument
who cares
If the player is good then base his merits on what he has achieved
nobody will ever know who is the greatest
and the changing of the rules play are large part
The ruling bodies of these organizations want scoring
so they do there best to hamper defense
is it fair no but that is what the causal fan wants
hardcore fans love defense usually, they want the struggle
were your average schmo wants a shootout
espn is part of this problem
the highlight reel gets a lot of attention

True. I don't know enough to talk shit.

But I have heard that it is impossible to break Gretzky's records, and it isn't because he was that much better than everyone else, even though he was. But it was because the rules were different. I don't understand. What rules were sooo different that his records will be safe forever?

And I think its safe to say Wayne Gretzky is the greatest OFFENSIVE hockey player to have ever played the game.

But all around best was someone like Howe or Orr or Lemeaux.

But again, you are right, I don't know shit. The only think I know is Gretzky is #1.

I found this:

Gretzky scored his 92 in a time of wide-open play and less-than-stellar goaltending. That would be the virtual opposite of today's game. Tight checking, huge equipment and extremely technical and athletic goaltending rule the day.

Bobo,

I don't know where you heard that Gretzky played in a less physical era. But let me assure you that it isn't true. If anything it was more physical. He wasn't babied by the refs either. However, we was protected by Dave Semenko, one of the baddest goons who ever played the game. But then again most teams have one or two enforcers that are there to protect their superstars, so there's nothing unique about that. As for the rule changes, they've pretty much all been to increase scoring, especially the elimination of two-line offsides. So again, whoever told you his records won't be broken due to rule changes doesn't know what they're talking about.

Last edited:
Bobo,

I don't know where you heard that Gretzky played in a less physical era. But let me assure you that it isn't true. If anything it was more physical. He wasn't babied by the refs either. However, we was protected by Dave Semenko, one of the baddest goons who ever played the game. But then again most teams have one or two enforcers that are there to protect their superstars, so there's nothing unique about that. As for the rule changes, they've pretty much all been to increase scoring, especially the elimination of two-line offsides. So again, whoever told you his records won't be broken due to rule changes doesn't know what they're talking about.

Gretzy's scoring record is going to be threatened more than his assist record, even with the elimination of the 2 line (red line) pass. Nobody's in the same zip code as Gretzky's goal record right now, but nobody's on the same continent for assists.

I'd a agree hockey was probably more physical in the 80s than it is now. There's little room for enforcers on teams these days, and there was a lot more fighting 20 years ago.

In 1987-88 season (Gretzky's last year with the Oilers), the top 10 fighting teams had 1,037 fights during the regular season, with the Bruins leading the way on 132. The top 20 enforcers alone had nearly 450 fights, with Miller, Macrae, and Donnelly each fighting over 30 times. Gretzky's team had 94 fights, with Kevin McClelland, Marty McSorley, Jeff Beukeboom and Steve Smith dropping the gloves on 70% of those occasions.

This regular season, the Ducks led the way with 82 fights, while the top 10 had 635 between them. The top fighters this year were still in the mid 20s, which suggests that while there are still enforcers, there are fewer of them.

No team has had over 100 fights in a season since Florida in 2001-02.

Bobo,

I found this on the net.

(Gretzky scored his 92 in a time of wide-open play and less-than-stellar goaltending. That would be the virtual opposite of today's game. Tight checking, huge equipment and extremely technical and athletic goaltending rule the day.) Is this not true?

Can anyone else tell mani why Gretzky couldn't do today what he did in the 80's?

You would know more than I would mani.

But "I've heard" there are reasons why his records can never be broken. The game has changed. Maybe someone else will be able to explain what the fuck I'm saying. I'm not an expert on this. I just heard this before. I'm not saying you are wrong.

Its like in the playoffs where defense gets tighter. Maybe back then they didn't play that hard during the regular season? Maybe the rules were different to encourage more scoring?

Or like a hockey allstar game. No ones hitting anyone. Maybe they played different back then? Less physical? I know the Howe's were physical, but the 80's were maybe a soft era? Gretzky never got hit.

And Detroit had Probert and Joey Cosure. Two bad mofo's.

Forum List

Back