Detroit was Hockeytown!!! <snicker>

Bobo,

I don't know where you heard that Gretzky played in a less physical era. But let me assure you that it isn't true. If anything it was more physical. He wasn't babied by the refs either. However, we was protected by Dave Semenko, one of the baddest goons who ever played the game. But then again most teams have one or two enforcers that are there to protect their superstars, so there's nothing unique about that. As for the rule changes, they've pretty much all been to increase scoring, especially the elimination of two-line offsides. So again, whoever told you his records won't be broken due to rule changes doesn't know what they're talking about.

Gretzy's scoring record is going to be threatened more than his assist record, even with the elimination of the 2 line (red line) pass. Nobody's in the same zip code as Gretzky's goal record right now, but nobody's on the same continent for assists.

I'd a agree hockey was probably more physical in the 80s than it is now. There's little room for enforcers on teams these days, and there was a lot more fighting 20 years ago.

In 1987-88 season (Gretzky's last year with the Oilers), the top 10 fighting teams had 1,037 fights during the regular season, with the Bruins leading the way on 132. The top 20 enforcers alone had nearly 450 fights, with Miller, Macrae, and Donnelly each fighting over 30 times. Gretzky's team had 94 fights, with Kevin McClelland, Marty McSorley, Jeff Beukeboom and Steve Smith dropping the gloves on 70% of those occasions.

This regular season, the Ducks led the way with 82 fights, while the top 10 had 635 between them. The top fighters this year were still in the mid 20s, which suggests that while there are still enforcers, there are fewer of them.

No team has had over 100 fights in a season since Florida in 2001-02.

Maybe I'm wrong. I heard this shit about Gretky the same way people bitch about Jordan being able to take an extra step or if you touched him he always got the benefit of the refs.

Maybe those are just haters saying that shit. You're right about them not fighting like they used to.

Bobo,

I don't know where you heard that Gretzky played in a less physical era. But let me assure you that it isn't true. If anything it was more physical. He wasn't babied by the refs either. However, we was protected by Dave Semenko, one of the baddest goons who ever played the game. But then again most teams have one or two enforcers that are there to protect their superstars, so there's nothing unique about that. As for the rule changes, they've pretty much all been to increase scoring, especially the elimination of two-line offsides. So again, whoever told you his records won't be broken due to rule changes doesn't know what they're talking about.

Gretzy's scoring record is going to be threatened more than his assist record, even with the elimination of the 2 line (red line) pass. Nobody's in the same zip code as Gretzky's goal record right now, but nobody's on the same continent for assists.

I'd a agree hockey was probably more physical in the 80s than it is now. There's little room for enforcers on teams these days, and there was a lot more fighting 20 years ago.

In 1987-88 season (Gretzky's last year with the Oilers), the top 10 fighting teams had 1,037 fights during the regular season, with the Bruins leading the way on 132. The top 20 enforcers alone had nearly 450 fights, with Miller, Macrae, and Donnelly each fighting over 30 times. Gretzky's team had 94 fights, with Kevin McClelland, Marty McSorley, Jeff Beukeboom and Steve Smith dropping the gloves on 70% of those occasions.

This regular season, the Ducks led the way with 82 fights, while the top 10 had 635 between them. The top fighters this year were still in the mid 20s, which suggests that while there are still enforcers, there are fewer of them.

No team has had over 100 fights in a season since Florida in 2001-02.

Maybe I'm wrong. I heard this shit about Gretky the same way people bitch about Jordan being able to take an extra step or if you touched him he always got the benefit of the refs.

Maybe those are just haters saying that shit. You're right about them not fighting like they used to.

Well, Gordie Howe says Gretzky was the greatest of all time. If Gordie says it, that's good enough for me.

That said, Gretzky never had a 'Gordie Howe hat-trick'! :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfeUHBneFkg]YouTube - Wayne Gretzky First Goal WHA Racers vs. Edmonton myhockeytv[/ame]

:clap2:

btw: I don't really care who wins the series, I'm just enjoying watching and hoping for a game 7. However, you better really hope the Wings win because if they don't. I'm going to keep bumping this thread, all day everyday for at least a week. Just to piss off Bobo.

:clap2:

btw: I don't really care who wins the series, I'm just enjoying watching and hoping for a game 7. However, you better really hope the Wings win because if they don't. I'm going to keep bumping this thread, all day everyday for at least a week. Just to piss off Bobo.

My neigbor bet $500 and got 3 to 1. He was expecting to win $1500, but now he isn't so sure.

We needed one of those fucking games in Pittsberg.

Glad they can play hockey. They don't know squat about football up there in Motor City...:eusa_whistle:

Glad they can play hockey. They don't know squat about football up there in Motor City...:eusa_whistle:

If you mean because we watch the Lions, you'd be wrong. We get to see some fantastic games on TV here. Lions games are usually blacked out because of poor attendance.

The only exception is Thanksgiving, when we have no choice but to watch turkeys as well as eat them. Of course, both produce the same result - an irresistible urge to fall asleep.

If you mean because we watch the Lions, you'd be wrong. We get to see some fantastic games on TV here. Lions games are usually blacked out because of poor attendance.

The only exception is Thanksgiving, when we have no choice but to watch turkeys as well as eat them. Of course, both produce the same result - an irresistible urge to fall asleep.

We used to pack the Silverdome when Barry Sanders was here. We are very faithful fans. We have been loyal for years. If attendance has been slipping every year, its because they really have given us a shitty product. But next year we will start all over again and be interested in game 1, 2, and if they suck, fuck them again. I can't believe anyone buys season tickets anymore.

Game 7 on Friday. Holy Shit!!! We better win!!!! I fell asleep and found out we lost this morning. I'm glad it'll be here game 7 but if we lose, what a blown opportunity. Couldn't win one in Pittsburg?

But we will win!!! We're hockey town after all. :eusa_angel:

Based on the first six games, I predict Detroit will have game 7 wrapped up by the second intermission.

But I hope I'm wrong and Pittsburg at least makes it competitive. Go OVERTIME!!!

We used to pack the Silverdome when Barry Sanders was here. We are very faithful fans. We have been loyal for years. If attendance has been slipping every year, its because they really have given us a shitty product. But next year we will start all over again and be interested in game 1, 2, and if they suck, fuck them again. I can't believe anyone buys season tickets anymore.

Game 7 on Friday. Holy Shit!!! We better win!!!! I fell asleep and found out we lost this morning. I'm glad it'll be here game 7 but if we lose, what a blown opportunity. Couldn't win one in Pittsburg?

But we will win!!! We're hockey town after all. :eusa_angel:

I"m leaving on Friday to drive down to the Key with the kids, so I'll be watching from a motel on the road somewhere in south Ohio or Kentucky.. :(

But I feel optimistic that more silverware is headed our way. We are something like 11-1 at home in the playoffs.

Go Wings!!!!!

detroit_red_wings_1995.gif

Forum List

Back