Detroit was Hockeytown!!! <snicker>

Gretzky's team was the Edmonton Oilers. Sealy is being a bobo pretending that Gretzky's late career move to the LA Kings somehow cheapens the greatness of The Great One.

The Montreal Canadiens are the team that has won the Stanley Cup 23 times. Second only in big 4 titles to the Yankees 26 WS wins and something like 13 more than the Red Wings.

I thought Gretzky moved around more than that. And I didn't know he played for the Oilers.

And I dind't know Montreal won that many times. WOW!!!

When's the last time they won?

And at 16 years without the Cup this is by far their worst slump. Prior to 1993 the most they'd ever gone without winning the Cup was 7 years.

Isn't that back when hockey was different? I heard something about how if Gretzky was playing today, he wouldn't be as dominant.

Even if you disagree, what am I talking about? They say it was an easier game to play or less hitting or something like that? And thats why no one will ever break Gretzky's records?

Please explain and let me know if you agree or not.

btw: Gretzky did play briefly for the Blues and then a couple years with the Rangers after he was waaaay over the hill. But I don't hold that against him.

All I know is he was one competitive sob. Remember the glass shattered and his wife got cut up and he just kept playing?

Either that or he didn't care about her that much. :lol:

No. Gretzky was actually good. One of the best in fact.

Favre wouldn't make my top 20 regardless of his stats. Why? Because I've seen him play. :eek:

Would you say Gretzky was better than Bobby Orr?

Who cares when Gordy Howe was the greatest player ever?

Gretzky was the greatest offensive player ever. All around, it was Gordy Howe.

Maybe you could start a hockey poll? Put Mario on there too! I don't know enough about all the players to do one, just the "stars and legends" of hockey.

In no particular order, the greatest hockey players of all time are Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemeiux and Bobby Orr. It is impossible IMO, to place any one of them above another. And nobody else comes anywhere close to the conversation.

Isn't that back when hockey was different? I heard something about how if Gretzky was playing today, he wouldn't be as dominant.

Even if you disagree, what am I talking about? They say it was an easier game to play or less hitting or something like that? And thats why no one will ever break Gretzky's records?

A) This is the first time I've heard anything quite so ludicrous.

B) Did I mention it's ludicrous? :lol:

Yeah, Gretzky would've really suffered if he had to play without a red-line. :rofl:

As for less hitting then? :confused: ? Only in opposite world.

In no particular order, the greatest hockey players of all time are Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemeiux and Bobby Orr. It is impossible IMO, to place any one of them above another. And nobody else comes anywhere close to the conversation.

Fuck you Gordy Howe isn't even mentioned? You're clueless.

I will give you Wayne Grezky, even though he was a pussy in a pussy era, but then its Howe and THEN it is Orr and/or Lemeiux.

I'm seriously fucking amazed you would leave Howe out. Fuck that. Now I'm being serious. Ask anyone who knows hockey.

He's mixing up the fact that they changed blue line rules recently and how every announcer says this when comparing a new talent to an old favorite. They always refer to it in football because the players are bigger and the game has evolved.

Yea I dunno hockey that well and Gordy Howe is one of maybe 5 players I know by name that aren't currently playing

I will give you Wayne Grezky, even though he was a pussy in a pussy era, but then its Howe and THEN it is Orr and/or Lemeiux.

I'm seriously fucking amazed you would leave Howe out. Fuck that. Now I'm being serious. Ask anyone who knows hockey.

You're obviously biased by your love of the Red Wings. Not that I can blame you since I still insist on keeping Larry Bird on my short list of BBall greats. :D

Gordy absolutely does not belong on the short list with the other three. YOU ask anyone that actually knows hockey.

I would have to say my friend's dad is knowledgable on the subject considering he played semi pro for the Baltimore skipjacks or something like that. He's the one that made me watch a biography of gordy when I was 13.

A) This is the first time I've heard anything quite so ludicrous.

B) Did I mention it's ludicrous? :lol:

Yeah, Gretzky would've really suffered if he had to play without a red-line. :rofl:

As for less hitting then? :confused: ? Only in opposite world.

I did a very quick google and found this:

In this playoff run, malkin has 16 points in his last 6 games, quite an impressive feat. If you extrapolate that to a full season, that would be 219 pts in 82 games. Gretzky's single season record is 217 pts. That means that gretzky averaged what malkin did over the last six games over a FULL SEASON. (note, he had 4 200pt seasons)

Granted gretzky played in a different time, when his opponents were not nearly as good as the competition is now.

Where were the russians during Gretzky's time?

And how many teams when he played? Can you say watered down? And he didn't play any defense.

And then I found this:

With a spectacular backhand shot, Wayne Gretzky surpasses his hockey hero, Gordie Howe's record and becomes the NHL's all-time leading scorer.

Gretzky smashes his hockey hero's record - CBC Archives

Just ask Orr:

In 1998, The Hockey News released their List of Top 100 NHL Players of All-Time and listed Howe third overall behind Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr. Of the list, Orr was quoted as regarding Howe as the greatest player.[2]

Gordie Howe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're obviously biased by your love of the Red Wings. Not that I can blame you since I still insist on keeping Larry Bird on my short list of BBall greats. :D

Gordy absolutely does not belong on the short list with the other three. YOU ask anyone that actually knows hockey.

Ask Bobby Orr. You're fucking mad. You just don't know. Look into his career before you speak.

I give the other guys mad mad mad props!!!!

But to not even have Gordy on the list, means you are just a jackass. LOL.

Look at me. You really got me mad. And I don't even like hockey that much.

Seriously, it isn't for my love of Detroit. Everyone knows Gordy is at least in the top 5.

AT LEAST!!! I've give Wayne #1. I'll even give Orr #2. Hell, I'll even give Lemieux number #3 even though I disagree. But if I'm trying not to argue with you, I'll be the bigger man and give you those 3. But then there is Gordy at number 4.

Which is bullshit. He's number 2 or 3!!!!

Settle down Beavis. :lol:

You're acting like I said Howe sucked or something. I'd place him at the top of the list of everyone else, I just do not believe he's in the same class with the other three. His most impressive attribute was his longevity. He certainly didn't change the entire way players play the defensive position like Orr and he never came close to dominating the game like the other two.

I don't even like hockey until this time of year and ONLY if the Wings are in it. But it is nice to rule something. Do any of you have a sport that you feel your city dominates at? I already gave NY that for baseball.

Which city thinks they rule at Football? I'd say New England or Dallas.

How about Basketball? I'd say LA or Boston could make a case. Not Chicago because they only won in the Jordan era. I've seen Boston & LA win now and in the past. Because of Magic Johnson & Kobe/Shaq eras, I'd give it to LA.

I agree the Lakers have probably surpassed the Celtics as the greatest NBA dynasty due to winning in so many eras. And if people in LA want to root for a lousy team, they also have the Clippers too. So there's something for everybody.

As for my city, we used to be the best in Indoor Soccer, our San Diego Sockers won 10 titles in 11 years in NASL/MISL Indoor Soccer back in the 1980s and 90s. Unfortunately the sport has faded back into oblivion, but it was big for a brief time in the late 80s. Its a shame since it was much more exciting than outdoor soccer (and we actually ruled at a professional sport!).

I'm not a huge hockey fan, simply because we don't have hockey here in Indy.

But,,,,,,,,,when I think of the "Hockey Team Legends" these teams come to mind:

Pittsburgh Penguins

Boston Bruins

Detroit Red Wings

As a Bruins fan I'd say thank you. But as a long time hockey fan you're nukkin futts for not placing the Montreal Canadiens... at the top of this list.

Um, when did the Bruins win the last time? To call them some sort of great dynasty is ludicris. Over the long time span, of course, Montreal has long been the standard for greatest team, but I don't know how much longer they can milk that one. They haven't won since 1993, and I think they only one once during the 1980s. The vast majority of their titles were during the period when there were only six teams. 4 and out in Round one this year is not very impressive and for many years they didn't even make the post-season. If they don't at least make the finals in the next say five years, I don't think they will still deserve to be put in the same sentence as other dynasties in other sports. Je suis desole, mais on n'est plus une dynastie si on ne gagne jamais.

Last edited:

I don't even like hockey until this time of year and ONLY if the Wings are in it. But it is nice to rule something. Do any of you have a sport that you feel your city dominates at? I already gave NY that for baseball.

Which city thinks they rule at Football? I'd say New England or Dallas.

How about Basketball? I'd say LA or Boston could make a case. Not Chicago because they only won in the Jordan era. I've seen Boston & LA win now and in the past. Because of Magic Johnson & Kobe/Shaq eras, I'd give it to LA.

I agree the Lakers have probably surpassed the Celtics as the greatest NBA dynasty due to winning in so many eras. And if people in LA want to root for a lousy team, they also have the Clippers too. So there's something for everybody.

As for my city, we used to be the best in Indoor Soccer, our San Diego Sockers won 10 titles in 11 years in NASL/MISL Indoor Soccer back in the 1980s and 90s. Unfortunately the sport has faded back into oblivion, but it was big for a brief time in the late 80s. Its a shame since it was much more exciting than outdoor soccer (and we actually ruled at a professional sport!).

That's an obscure thing to brag about. You're in Cali, so I give you the Lakers. Maybe not your city, but close enough.

All you have to say is I live in San Diago and you live in Detroit Sealy so you can have all those good teams.

And I would agree.

Settle down Beavis. :lol:

You're acting like I said Howe sucked or something. I'd place him at the top of the list of everyone else, I just do not believe he's in the same class with the other three. His most impressive attribute was his longevity. He certainly didn't change the entire way players play the defensive position like Orr and he never came close to dominating the game like the other two.

Yea, he was just called Mr. Hockey, and Orr said he was the best.

And it wasn't just longevity. It was his scoring prowess, physical strength, and the longevity of his career.

But because you probably remember the old Gordy, this is why you don't put him in the top 2 or 3. Instead, you put him number four or lower.

Won 4 Championships

six Hart Trophies as the league's most valuable player and six Art Ross Trophies as the leading scorer.

Did Lemeiux do these things? Sure, in the pussy era. LOL.

Howe quickly established himself as a great goal scorer and a gifted playmaker with a willingness to fight.

So I'm thinking that all around, Howe was better than Orr. Or was Orr both a better scorer and defensive player.

Or was Orr better at one but you give the edge to Howe on the other?

I understand as both D and O, Howe is the best. Gretzky didn't play any D.

Did Lemiux? I'm sure Orr did because they all did back then.

Howe led Detroit to four Stanley Cups and to first place in regular season play for seven consecutive years (1948–49 to 1955–56), a feat never equaled in NHL history.

Howe had been in his prime during a defensive era, the 1940s and 1950s, when scoring was difficult and checking was tight.

When Richard retired in 1960, he paid tribute to Howe, saying "Gordie could do everything."[6]

Forum List

Back