Democrats: the more people know about government run healthcare, the less they like

Actually Chris I think you missed my point, let me try it again, my point was that my pension was not GIVEN to me it was earned as a result of my meeting the criteria set down by the US Navy and the DoD. Had I not done that I would not have EARNED it and would therefor not be receiving it. I used the political anaology to show you that your ire should be directed to the Congress that makes the laws not those of us who protected you in order for you to exerise your rights to do so. I also hoped that you would see that when one earns something in this country through self sacrifice, and hard work, the things they receive are a result of that. However. lately that principle has changed because as I had said above about half of the country would want these things without having to work for them and thus the reason someone would see my pension and others like mine as some sort of gift from the Govt.

Actually Chris I think you missed my point, let me try it again, my point was that my pension was not GIVEN to me it was earned as a result of my meeting the criteria set down by the US Navy and the DoD. Had I not done that I would not have EARNED it and would therefor not be receiving it. I used the political anaology to show you that your ire should be directed to the Congress that makes the laws not those of us who protected you in order for you to exerise your rights to do so. I also hoped that you would see that when one earns something in this country through self sacrifice, and hard work, the things they receive are a result of that. However. lately that principle has changed because as I had said above about half of the country would want these things without having to work for them and thus the reason someone would see my pension and others like mine as some sort of gift from the Govt.

It is always funny to me to see retired military, and people on Social Security complain about people getting money from the government.

My Dad does it all the time.

It is always funny to me to see retired military, and people on Social Security complain about people getting money from the government.

I find it funny every time you post, your nonsense, which is every post.....:lol:
The military that serves earns their health care as was previously stated. If they are willing to sacrifice their lives for the defense of this nation. They have earned their health care.

I find it funny every time you post, your nonsense, which is every post.....:lol:
The military that serves earns their health care as was previously stated. If they are willing to sacrifice their lives for the defense of this nation. They have earned their health care.

meanwhile NO politician has earned this by just being a fucking politician....

Why are you such a doofus, Chris? Getting money out of the government? Seems to me that they earned it by willing to put their lives on the line. An E1 military personal gets around 1,450 dollars a month. I bet you wouldn't even get out of bed for that amount, Chrissy. They're willing to die for that amount of money, so when you go dissing the military on their acceptance to recieving healthcare, you just look like the moron that you are.

Why are you such a doofus, Chris? Getting money out of the government? Seems to me that they earned it by willing to put their lives on the line. An E1 military personal gets around 1,450 dollars a month. I bet you wouldn't even get out of bed for that amount, Chrissy. They're willing to die for that amount of money, so when you go dissing the military on their acceptance to recieving healthcare, you just look like the moron that you are.

I didn't diss the military. I just stated a fact.

No one gets money from the government for life except politcians, civil servants, and the military.

I'm waiting for the day the libs do their thinking for themselves, and quit thinking that our government is the answer. The brightest people in this great nation aren't in our government...they're in our private sector.
Huggy you let the government do your thinking for you...that's where it starts and ends for you. The government has problems with SS, they have problems with medicare, and you want them to take over the healthcare? I see no thought process on your end with that.

THE PROBLEM is that there is no viable alternative. I'd gladly climb on board for some new, proven less costly solutions. I have never been a strong advocate for universal health care, for the very reasons you state. IF it could be done in a cost-effective manner, however, I would probably be all for it. But I do advocate the health care insurance being proposed. To me, that's a decent compromise because THE PROBLEM is the number of Americans caught between a rock and a hard place--they aren't old enough for Medicare and earn too much to qualify for Medicaid--yet their personal out-of-pocket expenses for health care are breaking their backs.

You are aware of the 47 million uninsured, reported by Obama, that 10 million are not American citizens?

Furthermore, we could reduce costs drastically if we prevented chronic disease through education and better diet.
THE ROOT CAUSE OF RISING HEALTH CARE COSTS: CHRONIC DISEASE
Recently, President Barack Obama has reaffirmed his conviction that we must have quality, affordable health care for every American. This is an important goal. But as lawmakers move forward, they must be aware of the facts. And they must be clear on the precise causes of America's health care woes, says Peter Pitts, president of the Center for Medicine in the Public Interest.

Take the president's claim that the number of uninsured "now totals 45.7 million Americans." Although the Census Bureau puts the number of uninsured U.S. residents at approximately 46 million, its report clearly states that 10 million of them are noncitizens, and almost 18 million make $50,000 a year or more, yet have chosen not to purchase health insurance.

What's most concerning is that these inflated statistics are distracting us from addressing the root causes of our nation's ballooning health care costs, says Pitts:

* Of the $2.2 trillion America spends each year on health care, 75 percent of that money goes to fighting chronic diseases, many of which are preventable but require regular treatment; it's for this reason that treating chronic conditions carries such a hefty price tag.
* And the problem is getting worse; between 1980 and 2006, the incidence of diabetes tripled, triggering a massive increase in health care spending; heart disease and related illnesses will cost Americans over $304 billion this year alone.
* In 2005, nearly half of all Americans were suffering from at least one chronic disease.

Luckily, huge strides can be made toward this goal by empowering Americans through better health education. Informing citizens about good diet and exercise habits would go a long way toward curbing the incidence of obesity, a condition that often deteriorates into more costly chronic illnesses, says Pitts.

It's not so much that American health care costs more, its that Americans live more unhealthy lives.

10 million are not American citizens

That is a lie.

47 million americans means 47 million americans. Illegals are not americans. You have every right to voice your own opinion as we all do. You don't have a right to make up your own facts. Thats Fox TVs job.

Last edited:
THE PROBLEM is that there is no viable alternative. I'd gladly climb on board for some new, proven less costly solutions. I have never been a strong advocate for universal health care, for the very reasons you state. IF it could be done in a cost-effective manner, however, I would probably be all for it. But I do advocate the health care insurance being proposed. To me, that's a decent compromise because THE PROBLEM is the number of Americans caught between a rock and a hard place--they aren't old enough for Medicare and earn too much to qualify for Medicaid--yet their personal out-of-pocket expenses for health care are breaking their backs.

You are aware of the 47 million uninsured, reported by Obama, that 10 million are not American citizens?

Furthermore, we could reduce costs drastically if we prevented chronic disease through education and better diet.
Recently, President Barack Obama has reaffirmed his conviction that we must have quality, affordable health care for every American. This is an important goal. But as lawmakers move forward, they must be aware of the facts. And they must be clear on the precise causes of America's health care woes, says Peter Pitts, president of the Center for Medicine in the Public Interest.

Take the president's claim that the number of uninsured "now totals 45.7 million Americans." Although the Census Bureau puts the number of uninsured U.S. residents at approximately 46 million, its report clearly states that 10 million of them are noncitizens, and almost 18 million make $50,000 a year or more, yet have chosen not to purchase health insurance.

What's most concerning is that these inflated statistics are distracting us from addressing the root causes of our nation's ballooning health care costs, says Pitts:

* Of the $2.2 trillion America spends each year on health care, 75 percent of that money goes to fighting chronic diseases, many of which are preventable but require regular treatment; it's for this reason that treating chronic conditions carries such a hefty price tag.
* And the problem is getting worse; between 1980 and 2006, the incidence of diabetes tripled, triggering a massive increase in health care spending; heart disease and related illnesses will cost Americans over $304 billion this year alone.
* In 2005, nearly half of all Americans were suffering from at least one chronic disease.

Luckily, huge strides can be made toward this goal by empowering Americans through better health education. Informing citizens about good diet and exercise habits would go a long way toward curbing the incidence of obesity, a condition that often deteriorates into more costly chronic illnesses, says Pitts.

It's not so much that American health care costs more, its that Americans live more unhealthy lives.

That is a lie.

47 million americans means 47 million americans. Illegals are not americans. You have every right to voice your own opinion as we all do. You don't have a right to make up your own facts. Thats Fox TVs job.

Next time try reading Jreeves source, it clearly stated what he posted. You came off looking a little bad on this one Huggy.

That is a lie.

Next time try reading Jreeves source, it clearly stated what he posted. You came off looking a little bad on this one Huggy.

Moi? A mistake? BLASPHAMY!!! I didn't look at his stupid "Source". I was using the "logic" angle. Silly me thinking that illegals ARE NOT AMERICANS.

This may sound somewhat of a backwards question on this 47 million Americans debate and if it is you iwll have to pardon me please. However, I'm just curious as to how that figure is actually arrived at and by whom? Is it an est. from the last census? If this is the case then is this just an est. and does not reflect accurate data and is based on a cross section of data taken. Or is it an est. used by the insurance industry? To my knowledge it is one used by the last census so again how accurate is this data?

Meanwhile, the nation’s official poverty rate declined for the first time this decade, from 12.6 percent in 2005 to 12.3 percent in 2006. There were 36.5 million people in poverty in 2006, not statistically different from 2005. The number of people without health insurance coverage rose from 44.8 million (15.3 percent) in 2005 to 47 million (15.8 percent) in 2006.

US Census Press Releases

Funny doesn't mention the word Americans, just mentions the word people.

The number of people with health insurance increased to 253.4 million in 2007 (up from 249.8 million in 2006). The number of people covered by private health insurance (202.0 million) in 2007 was not statistically different from 2006, while the number of people covered by government health insurance increased to 83.0 million, up from 80.3 million in 2006.
Health Insurance Coverage: 2007 - Highlights

So again is the crisis in medical costs and insurance cost? if so this is a regulation issue and not a converage issue. What percentage of those in that data actually prefer not to be covered? In order to drive down costs you need to promote competetion not decrease it. By doing so, you provide an avenue for people to purchase their own.

That is a lie.

Moi? A mistake? BLASPHAMY!!! I didn't look at his stupid "Source". I was using the "logic" angle. Silly me thinking that illegals ARE NOT AMERICANS.
except jreeves didnt say they were illegals, you moron
learn to read

QUOTE=Navy1960;1265185]This may sound somewhat of a backwards question on this 47 million Americans debate and if it is you iwll have to pardon me please. However, I'm just curious as to how that figure is actually arrived at and by whom? Is it an est. from the last census? If this is the case then is this just an est. and does not reflect accurate data and is based on a cross section of data taken. Or is it an est. used by the insurance industry? To my knowledge it is one used by the last census so again how accurate is this data?

Meanwhile, the nation’s official poverty rate declined for the first time this decade, from 12.6 percent in 2005 to 12.3 percent in 2006. There were 36.5 million people in poverty in 2006, not statistically different from 2005. The number of people without health insurance coverage rose from 44.8 million (15.3 percent) in 2005 to 47 million (15.8 percent) in 2006.

US Census Press Releases

Funny doesn't mention the word Americans, just mentions the word people.

The number of people with health insurance increased to 253.4 million in 2007 (up from 249.8 million in 2006). The number of people covered by private health insurance (202.0 million) in 2007 was not statistically different from 2006, while the number of people covered by government health insurance increased to 83.0 million, up from 80.3 million in 2006.
Health Insurance Coverage: 2007 - Highlights

So again is the crisis in medical costs and insurance cost? if so this is a regulation issue and not a converage issue. What percentage of those in that data actually prefer not to be covered? In order to drive down costs you need to promote competetion not decrease it. By doing so, you provide an avenue for people to purchase their own.[/QUOTE]

Funny doesn't mention the word Americans, just mentions the word people

So what. No one is advocating for free health care for illegal aliens. All you idiots can do is fear monger. Don't you know that we are totally done with you and your anti american agenda? Maybe the next two elction cycles will make an impression on your little brains.

Even your old money generators have abandoned you ...RNC down over 33% in contributions?

What a sad bunch of mealy mouthed losers.

I think the 47 million figure is probably low.

I know a lot of people without health insurance including myself.

I think the 47 million figure is probably low.

I know a lot of people without health insurance including myself.

Screw that trollup divecunt. Don't give those vampires another nickle. The only way to force a change is to FORCE a change. Do like I do and go to emergency any time you need attention. Don't wait till it is a big problem. Force thier weak ass hand.

The sons of bitches fucked my uncle over spacing out his cancer treatment and it killed him. Fuck them and fuck any that support the HMOs. Uncle Johnnie was the head Forester for the state of Washington with supposedly the best program you could get. I really liked him.

That is a lie.

Really now, argue with the Census Bureau dipshit....
Uninsured in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The US Census Bureau annually reports statistics on the uninsured. According to its most recent figures, in 2007, nearly 37 million of the uninsured were employment-age adults (ages 18 to 64), and more than 27 million worked at least part time. Approximately 61% of the roughly 45 million uninsured live in households with incomes under $50,000 (13.5 million below $25,000 and 14.5 million at $25,000 to $49,000).[1] And 38% live in households with incomes of $50,000 or more (8.5 million at $50,000 to $74,999 and 9.1 million at $75,000 or more.

According to the Census Bureau, people of Hispanic origin were the most affected by being uninsured; nearly a third of Hispanics lack health insurance. However, this rate decreased slightly from 2006 to 2007, from 15.3 to 14.8 million, a decrease of 2 percentage points (34.1% to 32.1%). The state with the highest percentage of uninsured was Texas (24.1% average for three years, 2004-2006). New Mexico has the second highest percentage of residents without health insurance at 22%.[3]

It has been estimated that nearly one fifth of the uninsured population is able to afford insurance, almost one quarter is eligible for public coverage, and the remaining 56% need financial assistance (8.9% of all Americans).[4] An estimated 5 million of those without health insurance are considered "uninsurable" because of pre-existing conditions.[5] A recent study concluded that 15% of people shopping online for health insurance are considered "uninsurable" because of a pre-existing condition, or for being overweight. This label does not necessarily mean they can never get health insurance, but that they will not qualify for standard individual coverage. People with similar health status can be covered via employer-provided health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid.[6]

According to the Census Bureau, in 2007, there were 8.1 million uninsured children in the US. Nearly 8 million young adults (those aged 18-24), were uninsured, representing 28.1% of their population. Young adults make up the largest age segment of the uninsured, are the most likely to be uninsured, and are one of the fastest growing segments of the uninsured population. They often lose coverage under their parents' health insurance policies or public programs when they reach age 19. Others lose coverage when they graduate from college. Many young adults do not have the kind of stable employment that would provide ongoing access to health insurance.[7][8]

Non-citizens are more likely to be uninsured than citizens, with a 43.8% uninsured rate. This is attributable to a higher likelihood of working in a low-wage job that does not offer health benefits, and restrictions on eligibility for public programs. However, most of the uninsured in the US are citizens (78%).[9] The longer a non-citizen immigrant has been in the country, the less likely they are to be uninsured. In 2006, roughly 27% of immigrants entering the country before 1970 were uninsured, compared to 45% of immigrants entering the country in the 1980s and 49% of those entering between 2000 and 2006. Most uninsured non-citizens are recent immigrants; almost half entered the country between 2000 and 2006, and 36% entered during the 1990s. Foreign-born non-citizens accounted for over 40% of the increase in the uninsured between 1990 and 1998, and over 90% of the increase between 1998 and 2003. One reason for the acceleration after 1998 may be restrictions imposed by the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) of 1996. Almost six out of ten (68%) of uninsured non-citizens live in California, Texas, Florida, or New York.[10]

A report by the Kaiser Family Foundation in April 2008 found that US economic downturns place a significant strain on state Medicaid and SCHIP programs. The authors estimated that a 1% increase in the unemployment rate increase Medicaid and SCHIP enrollment by 1 million, and increase the number uninsured by 1.1 million. State spending on Medicaid and SCHIP would increase by $1.4 billion (total spending on these programs would increase by $3.4 billion). This increased spending would occur while state government revenues were declining. During the last downturn, the Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003 (JGTRRA) included federal assistance to states, which helped states avoid tightening their Medicaid and SCHIP eligibility rules. The authors conclude that Congress should consider similar relief for the current economic downturn.[11]

If 78% of the uninsured are US citizens that would mean that 22% are non citizens. Which if we there is approximately 46 million uninsured, then the 10 million non citizen uninsured number would be accurate. Why don't you get the facts before you go accusing others of lying. By the way, I can provide a ton of sources with the same 10 million uninsured number if you would like.

That is a lie.

Really now, argue with the Census Bureau dipshit....
Uninsured in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The US Census Bureau annually reports statistics on the uninsured. According to its most recent figures, in 2007, nearly 37 million of the uninsured were employment-age adults (ages 18 to 64), and more than 27 million worked at least part time. Approximately 61% of the roughly 45 million uninsured live in households with incomes under $50,000 (13.5 million below $25,000 and 14.5 million at $25,000 to $49,000).[1] And 38% live in households with incomes of $50,000 or more (8.5 million at $50,000 to $74,999 and 9.1 million at $75,000 or more.

According to the Census Bureau, people of Hispanic origin were the most affected by being uninsured; nearly a third of Hispanics lack health insurance. However, this rate decreased slightly from 2006 to 2007, from 15.3 to 14.8 million, a decrease of 2 percentage points (34.1% to 32.1%). The state with the highest percentage of uninsured was Texas (24.1% average for three years, 2004-2006). New Mexico has the second highest percentage of residents without health insurance at 22%.[3]

It has been estimated that nearly one fifth of the uninsured population is able to afford insurance, almost one quarter is eligible for public coverage, and the remaining 56% need financial assistance (8.9% of all Americans).[4] An estimated 5 million of those without health insurance are considered "uninsurable" because of pre-existing conditions.[5] A recent study concluded that 15% of people shopping online for health insurance are considered "uninsurable" because of a pre-existing condition, or for being overweight. This label does not necessarily mean they can never get health insurance, but that they will not qualify for standard individual coverage. People with similar health status can be covered via employer-provided health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid.[6]

According to the Census Bureau, in 2007, there were 8.1 million uninsured children in the US. Nearly 8 million young adults (those aged 18-24), were uninsured, representing 28.1% of their population. Young adults make up the largest age segment of the uninsured, are the most likely to be uninsured, and are one of the fastest growing segments of the uninsured population. They often lose coverage under their parents' health insurance policies or public programs when they reach age 19. Others lose coverage when they graduate from college. Many young adults do not have the kind of stable employment that would provide ongoing access to health insurance.[7][8]

Non-citizens are more likely to be uninsured than citizens, with a 43.8% uninsured rate. This is attributable to a higher likelihood of working in a low-wage job that does not offer health benefits, and restrictions on eligibility for public programs. However, most of the uninsured in the US are citizens (78%).[9] The longer a non-citizen immigrant has been in the country, the less likely they are to be uninsured. In 2006, roughly 27% of immigrants entering the country before 1970 were uninsured, compared to 45% of immigrants entering the country in the 1980s and 49% of those entering between 2000 and 2006. Most uninsured non-citizens are recent immigrants; almost half entered the country between 2000 and 2006, and 36% entered during the 1990s. Foreign-born non-citizens accounted for over 40% of the increase in the uninsured between 1990 and 1998, and over 90% of the increase between 1998 and 2003. One reason for the acceleration after 1998 may be restrictions imposed by the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) of 1996. Almost six out of ten (68%) of uninsured non-citizens live in California, Texas, Florida, or New York.[10]

A report by the Kaiser Family Foundation in April 2008 found that US economic downturns place a significant strain on state Medicaid and SCHIP programs. The authors estimated that a 1% increase in the unemployment rate increase Medicaid and SCHIP enrollment by 1 million, and increase the number uninsured by 1.1 million. State spending on Medicaid and SCHIP would increase by $1.4 billion (total spending on these programs would increase by $3.4 billion). This increased spending would occur while state government revenues were declining. During the last downturn, the Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003 (JGTRRA) included federal assistance to states, which helped states avoid tightening their Medicaid and SCHIP eligibility rules. The authors conclude that Congress should consider similar relief for the current economic downturn.[11]

If 78% of the uninsured are US citizens that would mean that 22% are non citizens. Which if we there is approximately 46 million uninsured, then the 10 million non citizen uninsured number would be accurate. Why don't you get the facts before you go accusing others of lying. By the way, I can provide a ton of sources with the same 10 million uninsured number if you would like.

Furthermore of the total 46 million over 40% expected to get health insurance during the next 4 months, which means the lapse in coverage was due to a job change.

When I become King I am going to fix up the health care industry... There will be no more worries about aspirins and bandaids.

Forum List

Back