Democrats: the more people know about government run healthcare, the less they like

One of the most common, and least challenged, assertions in the debate over U.S. health
care policy is that Medicare administrative costs are about 2 percent of claims costs,
while private insurance companies’ administrative costs are in the 20 to 25 percent
range.
It is very difficult to do a real apples-to-apples comparison of Medicare’s true costs
with those of the insurance industry. The primary problem is that private sector
insurers must track and divulge their administrative costs, while most of Medicare’s
administrative costs are hidden or completely ignored by the complex and bureaucratic
reporting and tracking systems used by the government.
This study, based in part on a technical paper by Mark Litow of Milliman, Inc., finds
that Medicare’s actual administrative costs are 5.2 percent, when the hidden costs are
included.
http://www.cahi.org/cahi_contents/resources/pdf/CAHI_Medicare_Admin_Final_Publication.pdf

Huggy, while I tend to agree that healthcare costs are a result of several factors, among them are ones mentioned in previous posts. My feelings are that Govt. intervention into the healthcare insurance business is not the right solution to bring down costs and will further erode healthcare. The Federal Govt. has a role in containing costs they simply need to address the issues that effect costs and and promote and environment that makes healthcare more affordable and accessable to those who wish it.

If there was any clue that the costs are rigged. All you have to do is look at the bill the neo cons passed a few years ago that prevents medicare from negotiating for phamecuticals.

Even if with "hidden" costs medicares ad is up to 5-6% how is that not a 20-30% benefit from hmo's?

If I get sick I go to a Doctor, any Doctor I want to see and I dont pay. I dont pay any outrageous medical insurance premiums and everything is FREE. Oh yes, we have problems with our medicare system but we are insured. The problems we have are small. We have in Canada the BEST medical system in the world. America eat your hearts out and if you dont have Insurance you may DIE if you get sick

God Save the Queen !

One of the most common, and least challenged, assertions in the debate over U.S. health
care policy is that Medicare administrative costs are about 2 percent of claims costs,
while private insurance companies’ administrative costs are in the 20 to 25 percent
range.
It is very difficult to do a real apples-to-apples comparison of Medicare’s true costs
with those of the insurance industry. The primary problem is that private sector
insurers must track and divulge their administrative costs, while most of Medicare’s
administrative costs are hidden or completely ignored by the complex and bureaucratic
This study, based in part on a technical paper by Mark Litow of Milliman, Inc., finds
that Medicare’s actual administrative costs are 5.2 percent, when the hidden costs are
included.
http://www.cahi.org/cahi_contents/resources/pdf/CAHI_Medicare_Admin_Final_Publication.pdf

Huggy, while I tend to agree that healthcare costs are a result of several factors, among them are ones mentioned in previous posts. My feelings are that Govt. intervention into the healthcare insurance business is not the right solution to bring down costs and will further erode healthcare. The Federal Govt. has a role in containing costs they simply need to address the issues that effect costs and and promote and environment that makes healthcare more affordable and accessable to those who wish it.

If there was any clue that the costs are rigged. All you have to do is look at the bill the neo cons passed a few years ago that prevents medicare from negotiating for phamecuticals.

Even if with "hidden" costs medicares ad is up to 5-6% how is that not a 20-30% benefit from hmo's?

Huggy, I'm not one to consider costs as anything but what they are and a benefit is not one of them. I was pointing out to you that Medicare costs are often times hidden and to compare the two is not often times a fair comparison is all. As you can hopefully see, I to want costs to come under control in the healthcare industry and believe strongly it can be achieved through promoting competetion among private companies and there are many other solutions that can repair the system we have now. I just am not one to believe that the Federal Govt. being the overlord of anyones choice be it healthcare, education, autos, whatever is ever a good thing. I personally believe that the Federal govt. has a specific task when it comes to healthcare and that is to regulate commerce and so far they have done a pretty poor job of it. There are also many other things related to healthcare that cause prices to rise the Federal Govt. can do, that they have so far dragged their heels on as well. So I suppose in my mind that is where the differences between myself and many others is.

If I get sick I go to a Doctor, any Doctor I want to see and I dont pay. I dont pay any outrageous medical insurance premiums and everything is FREE. Oh yes, we have problems with our medicare system but we are insured. The problems we have are small. We have in Canada the BEST medical system in the world. America eat your hearts out and if you dont have Insurance you may DIE if you get sick

God Save the Queen !

It ain't free, Yukon

God Save the Queen !

It ain't free, Yukon
not to mention that everything he said was a lie

range.
included.

Huggy, I'm not one to consider costs as anything but what they are and a benefit is not one of them. I was pointing out to you that Medicare costs are often times hidden and to compare the two is not often times a fair comparison is all. As you can hopefully see, I to want costs to come under control in the healthcare industry and believe strongly it can be achieved through promoting competetion among private companies and there are many other solutions that can repair the system we have now. I just am not one to believe that the Federal Govt. being the overlord of anyones choice be it healthcare, education, autos, whatever is ever a good thing. I personally believe that the Federal govt. has a specific task when it comes to healthcare and that is to regulate commerce and so far they have done a pretty poor job of it. There are also many other things related to healthcare that cause prices to rise the Federal Govt. can do, that they have so far dragged their heels on as well. So I suppose in my mind that is where the differences between myself and many others is.

I understand your sense that government can be the worst caretaker. The evidense I have seen and heard puts the neo cons and the Clinton-Bush administrations squarly at fault for the criminal mismanagement of regulation over the past 16 years.

I have looked into Obamas eyes. I believe with Obamasw leadership inspite of the overflow of bad people from the last adminisrtation we will pull ourselves out of this mess.

Government has done good things. IKE built the nations highways...There was Hoover Dam...The panama canal..

Voting is not enough. Back up your convictions with a letter, an e-mail or a phone call no matter who you voted for.

God Save the Queen !
Indeed, your system is far better than the US.

God Save the Queen !
i see you like liars

God Save the Queen !

I sure do wish you knew what you were talking about.

God Save the Queen !

Your talking to a teenage kid who has been in the hospital and seen a doctor exactly once in their life....:lol:

God Save the Queen !

Your talking to a teenage kid who has been in the hospital and seen a doctor exactly once in their life....:lol:

When Yukon grows up hopefully he doesn't need a CT Scan, because he'll have to wait about two months to get one, that's if he's alive. Then if he does get one hopefully its reliable cause its probably over 20 years old.....:eek:

Yes truly the best in the world...

But you know what its free coverage, hopefully he survives it though.

Dying is free also....

Last edited:

When Yukon grows up hopefully he doesn't need a CT Scan, because he'll have to wait about two months to get one, that's if he's alive. Then if he does get one hopefully its reliable cause its probably over 20 years old.....:eek:

Dying is free also....

Oh yeah a lot of the medical treatments implemented in Canadian hospitals were developed originally in the US. This is yet another reason health care cost so much in the US. We develop nearly all the drugs and treatments for the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Dying is free also....
actually, it isnt free, he just doesnt have to pay for it at the time of service
hes paying for it in his taxes

The rush? Half of America will be poverty stricken if we continue with the hmo driven healthcare that currently exists for people.

Obama has already said there will be a better way to cover Americans with affordable healthcare for those who need it by the end of the year and he'd better do it.

We all know that there needs to be something done about health care costs in this country--but I would sure like to see what they have in mind before committing to it.

I want to see republican/democrat & bipartisan plans--before we just jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

I understand your sense that government can be the worst caretaker. The evidense I have seen and heard puts the neo cons and the Clinton-Bush administrations squarly at fault for the criminal mismanagement of regulation over the past 16 years.

I have looked into Obamas eyes. I believe with Obamasw leadership inspite of the overflow of bad people from the last adminisrtation we will pull ourselves out of this mess.

Government has done good things. IKE built the nations highways...There was Hoover Dam...The panama canal..

Voting is not enough. Back up your convictions with a letter, an e-mail or a phone call no matter who you voted for.

There is absolutely nothing the government does than can't be run more efficiently--with less cost in the private sector. Americans did not care for the Hoover dam back in the 1930's they got rid of Hoover as fast as they could. That was a work project too--in order to stimulate the economy. Building one dam--even though we enjoy it today--wasn't that effective to bring Americans out of a recession.

I agree with you--e-mail your representatives--& e-mail them often.

There is absolutely nothing the government does than can't be run more efficiently--with less cost in the private sector. Americans did not care for the Hoover dam back in the 1930's they got rid of Hoover as fast as they could. That was a work project too--in order to stimulate the economy. Building one dam--even though we enjoy it today--wasn't that effective to bring Americans out of a recession.

I agree with you--e-mail your representatives--& e-mail them often.

If you are talking about making widgets you are right. Health care is not manufacturing or distributing manufactured goods.

Cutting costs works on inanimate objects. It is a little harder to do with people. I don't like someone who is thinking about his bonus looking at my "worth" and my health.

I think thats why the "dude and fraulien" have tag teamed thier way into your neo con hearts.

see Dude....once again...NEO-CON....soon you will be their spokesperson...Hugfuck...for the 50th time....if someone disagrees with your NEO-LIBERAL agenda.....HE/SHE IS NOT AUTOMATICALLY ....A NEO-CON...

You have tunnel vision. Even major health care providers are on board with the health care INSURANCE program (which is the only one on the table).

US Health Care Bleeds $1T, But Can Be Saved - Science & Health News Briefs | Newser

Stockholm syndrome.

When people figure out government will make their healthcare decisions, they won't want this.

They are being lied to that this will not be the case.
Right now bureaucrats in the insurance industry make the decisions as to whether you get a treatment.

so where is the difference going to be?......

Every other Western country has a single payer system and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare. Why? Because a single payer system is more efficient.

For profit healthcare makes it more expensive.

this is about the 18th time you have said this .....got anything new? different?....how about wording it different so it looks like something new....

Forum List

Back