How Pharma and Insurance Intend to Kill the Public Option

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Life_Long_Dem!, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Life_Long_Dem!

Life_Long_Dem! Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I'ved poked around Washington today, talking with friends on the Hill who confirm the worst: Big Pharma and Big Insurance are gaining ground in their campaign to kill the public option in the emerging health care bill.

You know why, of course. They don't want a public option that would compete with private insurers and use its bargaining power to negotiate better rates with drug companies. They argue that would be unfair. Unfair? Unfair to give more people better health care at lower cost? To Pharma and Insurance, "unfair" is anything that undermines their profits.

So they're pulling out all the stops -- pushing Democrats and a handful of so-called "moderate" Republicans who say they're in favor of a public option to support legislation that would include it in name only. One of their proposals is to break up the public option into small pieces under multiple regional third-party administrators that would have little or no bargaining leverage. A second is to give the public option to the states where Big Pharma and Big Insurance can easily buy off legislators and officials, as they've been doing for years. A third is bind the public plan to the same rules private insurers have already wangled, thereby making it impossible for the public plan to put competitive pressure on the insurers.

Robert Reich's Blog: How Pharma and Insurance Intend to Kill the Public Option, And What Obama and the Rest of Us Must Do

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Of course they don't, since while the government is in charge of what companies are allowed to sell what, all they have to do is bribe them to keep out competition.

3. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I'm sorry and killing this option is a bad thing? The Federal Govt. does not belong in the business of direct competetion with a private company that it also regulates. The Obama administration knows they cannot get a "single payer" plan through congress they don't have the vote. let's forget for a moment the constitutional issue. So what do they do? they set up a Govt. run option that will in effect drive everyone to the Govt. run program as Insurance carriers drop the option, or get out of the business period, in effect getting a "single payer" system anyway. So is there any doubt that a private company would not want to fight this? I know I would not want to be in direct competetion with the Federal Govt.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Fraulein Hilda

Fraulein Hilda BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Wrong. It's the government going into business expressly to compete against them, and put them out of business. That's not the way it works in America.

5. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

In Obama's America that is the way it works.

God Bless The Obama Revolution!

6. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    I agree.

Therefore, you should give up your government sponsored healthcare.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  7. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    This is why I don't have health insurance.

I refuse to support this ridiculously expensive and bloated for profit healthcare system. Every other Western country has a single payer system, and they pay HALF what we pay for healthcare. Why? Because they don't have to pay for insurance companies, liability lawyers, and Big Pharma. Even the doctors are now in favor of a single payer system.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Honestly, I'm just sick of this shit. I had insurance, but now I can't afford it because I moved to a different state. Hipaa rules didn't help me out any and I'm screwed. The only way I can get coverage again is to go to work for a company that offers insurance. I kind of like being self-employed. So now I have to choose, my career or health insurance.

The insurance companies don't give a shit about the health of their policy holders. Actually, I should rephrase that. They do care that you remain healthy. As soon as you become sick, they will do whatever they can to get you off of their plan because you are now a liability.

But I guess that's just my personal problem, so long as the rest of you are covered, why worry about me? I'm just a number anyway. I wonder how you all would feel if you were in my shoes. Would you still be so supportive of the wonderful insurance companies? Would you still be more worried about your choices? Oh that's right, you wouldn't really have many choices.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Structurally there are three problems facing the HC delievery system

1. An aging population

2. Overall Diminishing wages for Americans in comparison to the inflation in HC costs

3. Increasing HC costs due to advances in medicine (not merely inflationary costs)

If we do nothing, these problems will continue to make our HC delivery system increasingly less effective.

These problems will challenge any system we devise.

10. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    We have not had health insurance since 1995. It became too expensive to maintain. Along with there were so many things it did not pay for and the deductible was $1,500.00 a year for each of us it was not something I could afford to keep paying.

On my trip recently to see my folks after my dad's heart surgery I met one of their neighbors I had not met before. She is the daughter of a guy that was good friends with my grandpa. She and her husband moved into her dad's house when they retired. Her husband's mom has alzheimer's. She was telling us how they had heart surgery done on this poor woman. Over eighty thousand dollars in hospital and doctors to extend the life of someone who does not know where she is or who she is. The heart surgery is estimated to extend her life by fifteen years. The institutions will make out well over the extended years of her life.