Doctors, Hospitals & Compassion

That's not a question - to stay in business hospitals must consider that they can not create medical goods with goodwill. Hopefully, we won't get into a lengthy conversation on such a moot point, but nontheless I'm replying: if hospitals accepted goodwill for service, that they accepted everyone for no reason, hospitals (to put a human face on it: doctors and nurses) would be different to a slave how? You can mince what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' but if in the end your holding a "gun" to a doctor's head and yelling "treat me" your a criminal.

I've had poor experiences with docs that simply thought they knew everything but turned out to know not so much and frankly, didn't seem to give a shit. Family members have also experienced (and continue to experience) this. My view on the medical has changed dramatically because of these experiences.

X, I didn't know you were a doc. What kind?

• Banned
Do doctors and hospitals really really care about their patients, or is it all about big bucks and medical corporations?

I placed this thread after what happened to a guy I know. He went into the hospital for a ten day "medication evaluation." $20,000 later he is back home. Two weeks after that he is bed-ridden and sicker than a dog. The hospital gave him the wrong pills! He went to his insurance company and told them not to pay. Doctors should be required to pass a competency test every year.

According to Reuters hospital profits are down. But, you know I saw my friend's itemized bill. $54 for a pill you could buy in a pharmacy for less than a buck! Sounds like just plain bad management. Start firing the execs, and nationalize the health care system!

Do doctors and hospitals really really care about their patients, or is it all about big bucks and medical corporations?

I placed this thread after what happened to a guy I know. He went into the hospital for a ten day "medication evaluation." $20,000 later he is back home. Two weeks after that he is bed-ridden and sicker than a dog. The hospital gave him the wrong pills! He went to his insurance company and told them not to pay. Doctors should be required to pass a competency test every year.

According to Reuters hospital profits are down. But, you know I saw my friend's itemized bill. $54 for a pill you could buy in a pharmacy for less than a buck! Sounds like just plain bad management. Start firing the execs, and nationalize the health care system!

I was charged $32 for two pain relievers (one that the nurse dropped on the floor). It's about profits to the Facility. Charges for usage from the facility and professional fees really drive up costs. Individual doctors and nurses in private practice usually don't charge out the ass. A doctor visiit here would cost around $118 wheras receiving the same services in an ER would be about $1,500.

Do you think some government bureaucrat is going to really care about your medical treatment and personal health?

Do you think some government bureaucrat is going to really care about your medical treatment and personal health?

Government doesn't handle healthcare. It's outsourced to companies like Blue Cross and Aetna.

Who sez it's either/or??

True, you will find individuals whose compassion shines through. And, I can have a certain amount of sympathy for doctors filling out all that paperwork. Still, the basic financial structure of a hospital is profit-making. And, when was the last time you saw a doctor living on the poor side of town, driving an old car?

I used to live in Galveston where Texas has its training school for doctors. The doctor students were my neighbors, and we would party. To a person their favorite subject was how much money they were going to make. A drug company was giving out free Boxer automobiles to graduates. What do you think that drug company wanted from those students in their new work? To push their products of course!

Time to nationalize and get rid of these vermin.

Government doesn't handle healthcare. It's outsourced to companies like Blue Cross and Aetna.

See part in bold.

Your flawed premise presupposes that gubmint bureaucrats are immune from the lack of scruples you decry in others.

More likely is that the "vermin" will get nice cushy jobs in the bureaucracy, deciding what level of care is suitable for you, on your dime.

And your only alternative will be to leave the country to get fee-for-service care.

Who sez it's either/or??

True, you will find individuals whose compassion shines through. And, I can have a certain amount of sympathy for doctors filling out all that paperwork. Still, the basic financial structure of a hospital is profit-making. And, when was the last time you saw a doctor living on the poor side of town, driving an old car?

I used to live in Galveston where Texas has its training school for doctors. The doctor students were my neighbors, and we would party. To a person their favorite subject was how much money they were going to make. A drug company was giving out free Boxer automobiles to graduates. What do you think that drug company wanted from those students in their new work? To push their products of course!

How much is your student loan from going to plumber school?

Forum List

Back