Death of a pet

Discussion in 'Pets' started by MaggieMae, Aug 12, 2009.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Hi everyone - I thought a lot about whether to post anything because I don't want to appear like I'm just looking for sympathy. Then I decided I have some advice, which I'd like to share.

I had to have my cat "Boo" put down yesterday. He had an obstruction in his throat which varied from being just annoying to him to bothering him so much that he sometimes couldn't eat. Finally, after four days, it got to the point where he was acting like he was in a trance and when he was very briefly up and about, would only drink water and nibble at food, then go back to his safe hiding place.

So I decided, after four years and the vet previously telling me that since he didn't know what was causing the obstruction and would would need to do exploratory surgery, that it was time to have him euthanized (he was also around 13 years old). Well the cat has always been xenophobic, and never liked being picked up or held, but he was fiercely attached to me (and me alone). I knew that just to get him into a carrier to take him to the vet again (bad, bloody experience the first time), that transporting him myself was out of the question. So, I called the mobile vet unit and had them come to the house to put him down.

My advice is if you can avoid that situation--having your frightened cat's (or dog's) last memory that of looking at you as though you have betrayed him while these strange men are chasing and trying to grab it--choose a more humane and compassionate option. After all, animals in the wild go off alone to hide and then die and they probably die of starvation before some wild critter starts attacking them. I wish with all my heart I could have been able to just hold my cat and let him know that I was hurting as much as he was, instead of putting him through such a horrible ending.

Thanks for reading my sad story.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 8
  2. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Sorry to see that he was in pain, I love animals too.

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I know the pain of having to put down a family pet. It's a difficult situation and you have my sincere sympathy. I know right now you have questions and doubts wondering if you did the right thing. You acted in a humane way and showed the kind of responsibility that all pet owners should possess. When it's the proper time for you to do so, find yourself another cat to love.

4. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    That's what everyone says, but I don't think I can do that. It was ten years after I had to put my arthritic Cocker Spaniel down before I was given this cat (and I really only did it as a favor for someone who didn't like his temperament). I would much rather donate money to the local humane society or ferral cat rescue people so that other people can make those tough decisions. For now, anyway. Thanks for the reply.

5. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I am sorry for your loss. Nothing will fill that empty place in your heart.. but a new kitten might help you focus on making another place for a new pet.

6. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,919
    Maggie,

So sorry for your loss. You did what you thought was best at the time and you never had any mean thoughts toward your dear cat.

I'm the one in my family who gets asked to take the pet to the vet for the last time and it never gets any easier and I still remember leaning with my back against the wall of the Animal Medical Center in Manhattan after I had to say goodbye to my favorite dog.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    i never feel like i did it at the right time...killing your beloved pet is never easy....you always feel like it was too soon or too late....and you do have a hole in your heart...people are telling you to adopt...while you still feel the pain....cause that is how we all have coped with it...and seriously...why let an animal suffer in humane cause you are afraid of the pain..its the choice we all make when we get a puppy or kitten...we care for them well...and suddenly we get the screwball of fate...you find your loved pet has renal failure or bone cancer....you suffer, you cry...but most of all you take that chance again....you put yourself out there and pick up a warm little body and when it falls in with you....you go on...

i am sorry for the pain....but pain is part of it all.

go on...get another one....post its pics...you may want to post the pics of your lost one too....

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    A friend and I were reminiscing over the dogs he has had over the years of our friendship. He has one who is elderly now, deaf, blind, wanders around the place, sleeps under rigs, will have some bad days then rally...but he's nearing the end. I remember when he came to the place. Before that, there was Casey, and he felt the same way. He wouldn't take an old, dear friend to the vet to be put down. He'd do it himself if he had to. But luckily, he has a friend who is a neighbor who is also a primo vetrinarian. He asked the vet to stop by the tackroom, and his dog friend slipped away while doing what he had done for so many years...resting on a very thick saddle pad in a cozy tack room, surrounded by the familiar.

But it isn't always so nice..not for animals, and not for pets, either.

The best advice I can think of to give you is to make sure your next pet is properly socialized and you're able to handle it.

9. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    Oh my God....that is about the saddest story i have ever read about ones pet....I'm so sorry...you got me sobbing here! :(

we have a 12 year old cat that we both adore and love...she totally trusts us, in every manner!

lately, the hubby and i have had discussions on what we would do, when and if she became ill...the thought of euthanizing her still is uncomprehendable to me....i will heed your advice....be certain!

oh, gosh...i can empathize and sense your sickened and sad feelings...i am sorry...again. :(

care

10. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,981
    Aww, I'm so sorry.

You couldn't let him suffer so. I tell you, it is really traumatic when you lose a pet and this didn't sound very easy for you to watch. You stayed though.

Try not to relive the end too awfully much. Think of him when he was alive and feeling good as soon as you can.