Dead Pool 2013

Margaret Thatcher passes away...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/04/08/margaret-thatcher-prime-minister-dies/2062487/

The British government said Thatcher, who died of a stroke Monday at age 87, will receive a ceremonial funeral with military honors. Prime Minister David Cameron cut short a trip to Spain and France upon hearing the news.

Queen Elizabeth II has authorized a ceremonial funeral — a step short of a state funeral — to be held at St. Paul's Cathedral.

She held the office of prime minister in the United Kingdom from 1979 to 1990.

Last edited:
g5000 has:

Leila Danette
Mary Carlisle
Miguel Morayta
Manoel de Oliveira
Stein Grieg Halvorsen
Carla Laemmle
Luise Rainer
Arthur Gardner
Lupita Tovar
John Calvert

alan1 has:

Billy Graham
Fidel Castro
Nelson Mandela
John Paul Stevens
Michael Philip "Mick" Jagger
George H. W. Bush
Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (Queen Elizabeth II)
Hugo Chavez
Marcelo Ebrard
Bashar al-Assad

Nosmo King has:

Mickey Rooney
George Herbert Walker Bush
Nelson Mandela
Her Majesty Elizabeth Windsor
Coach Chuck Noll
David McCullogh
Olivia DeHavviland
Carol Burnett
Herman Wouk
C. Everett Koop

Synthaholic has:

Zsa Zsa Gabor
George H.W. Bush
Reverand Joseph Lowery
Dick Cheney
Bobby Doerr
Eli Wallach
Norman Lloyd
Kirk Douglas
Billy Graham
Nancy Reagan

MeBelle60 has:

George H.W. Bush
Nelson Mandela
Billy Graham
Fidel Castro
Zsa Zsa Gabor
Kirk Douglas
Erich Priebke (fkr!)
Stephen Hawking
Prince Phillip
Margaret Thatcher

Wild card*
Montel Williams

rightwinger has:

Hugo Chavez
Nelson Mandela
Bush 41
John Glenn
Judge Wapner
Mohammad Ali
Stan Musial
Billy Graham
Olivia DeHaviland
Joan Fontaine

Big Black Dog has:

Billy Graham
Margaret Thatcher
George H.W. Bush
Fidel Castro
Willie Nelson
Bill Clinton
Crystal Gale
Loretta Lynn
Little Jimmy Dickens
Glen Campbell

boedicca has:

Louise Rainer
David Rockefeller
Eli Wallach
Kirk Douglas
Zsa Zsa Gabor
Hugo Chavez
Joan Fontaine (it was either her or Olivia de Havilland - I bet Joan goes first)
I.M. Pei
Billy Graham
Lawrence Ferlinghetti

tjvh has:

Bush 41
Jerry Lewis
Lady Gaga
Fidel Castro
Hillary Clinton
Billy Graham
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Carter
Bob Dole

Valerie has:

nelson mandela - 94
ruth bader ginsburg - 79
larry king - 79
george HW bush - 88
fidel castro - 86
henry kissinger- 89
muhammad ali - 70
john madden - 76
meatloaf - 65
macaulay culkin - 32

And there are the entries in the 2013 Dead Pool Sweepstakes!

The Dead Pool serves as the obituary column at USMB and we would be remise if this week past without a mention of two greats in music who passed.

Richie Havens and George Jones.

Thanks for your efforts while you were here.

Ray Manzarek, Doors Keyboardist, Dies at 74

Ray Manzarek, the keyboardist and a founding member of the Doors whose sinuous and melodic organ riffs defined the band’s sound, died on Monday afternoon at a clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, after a bout with cancer. He was 74.

Mr. Manzarek had been sick for several months with cancer of the bile ducts, his publicist, Heidi Ellen Robinson Fitzgerald, said in a statement. He died at about 3:31 p.m. at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim. His wife, Dorothy, and his brothers, Rick and James, were at his bedside.

Mr. Manzarek formed the Doors in 1965 with Jim Morrison, a poet and film student and singer, after the two of them had a chance encounter on Venice Beach in California. The band went on to become one of the most successful and at times polarizing acts of the 1960s, selling more than 100 million albums worldwide and producing hits like “L.A. Woman,” “Break on Through,” “Hello, I Love You,” and “Light My Fire.”

Ray Manzarek, Doors Keyboardist, Dies at 74

Ray Manzarek, the keyboardist and a founding member of the Doors whose sinuous and melodic organ riffs defined the band’s sound, died on Monday afternoon at a clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, after a bout with cancer. He was 74.

Mr. Manzarek had been sick for several months with cancer of the bile ducts, his publicist, Heidi Ellen Robinson Fitzgerald, said in a statement. He died at about 3:31 p.m. at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim. His wife, Dorothy, and his brothers, Rick and James, were at his bedside.

Mr. Manzarek formed the Doors in 1965 with Jim Morrison, a poet and film student and singer, after the two of them had a chance encounter on Venice Beach in California. The band went on to become one of the most successful and at times polarizing acts of the 1960s, selling more than 100 million albums worldwide and producing hits like “L.A. Woman,” “Break on Through,” “Hello, I Love You,” and “Light My Fire.”
Sorry to hear that. Ray was pretty good on keyboards, and the driving force in the music of The Doors. His legendary riff on Light My Fire will live on for generations to come. He and Jim are probably discussing forming a reunion band in the hereafter. I'll have to check 'em out when I get there.

I think Manzarek's keyboard play did more to define the Doors sound than Morrisons vocals. He kept the memory of one of the great rock groups of the 60s alive

Most of my 2012 picks are still hanging on, so I will include some of them, but change things up. If any of my included 2012 picks die before 2013, I reserve the right to replace them for my 2013 picks.

Billy Graham
Fidel Castro
Nelson Mandela
John Paul Stevens
Michael Philip "Mick" Jagger
George H. W. Bush
Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (Queen Elizabeth II)
Hugo Chavez
Marcelo Ebrard
Bashar al-Assad

I forgot all about this thread, and that I had selected Mr Chavez.
He died on my birthday, while I was drunk and in Vegas.

This could turn out to be the swing selection, from a timing point of view;

Nelson Mandela's health improving daily, daughter says - World - CBC News

'The 95-year-old has been in a Pretoria hospital for two months for treatment of a recurrent lung infection. The government said late last month his condition remained critical but was showing improvement.'

I have my serious doubts that he can last through the year.

Yeah, but because he is such an icon, they will do everything possible to keep things going. It could come down to the last month, or the last week....or the last day...or the last hour...

This could turn out to be the swing selection, from a timing point of view;

Nelson Mandela's health improving daily, daughter says - World - CBC News

'The 95-year-old has been in a Pretoria hospital for two months for treatment of a recurrent lung infection. The government said late last month his condition remained critical but was showing improvement.'

I have my serious doubts that he can last through the year.

Yeah, but because he is such an icon, they will do everything possible to keep things going. It could come down to the last month, or the last week....or the last day...or the last hour...
Nelson Mandella is this year's Pope John Paul II. I had him in my Dead Pool picks for years. I can't tell you how many steak dinners were enjoyed on his shift.

Forum List

Back