David and Bathsheba's baby- was God's punishment just?

2 Samuel 11 and 12

A story the nuns like to bowlderize when I was a kid, because the actual verses are just so awful.

Short version- David sees Bathsheba bathing, and calls for her to have some wild sex. But she is married to his loyal officer Uriah the Hittite. After his attempts to get Uriah to do the nasty with her fail, he arranges for him to be sent into battle in such a way that he be killed, so he can have Bathsheba for himself.

Well, God is none to happy about this, and puts a curse on David. His baby will die, and his son will rise up against him.

So I guess the question is, like a lot of the other stories where God kills children, was this a just punishment? Does it really comform to the Christian notion of a "loving" God?

What you are forgetting is that God is a just God as well and hands down punishment for sin. David was appointed King over Gods people and he misused his auithority. The messiah was gonna come through the line of David. God was not gonna allow the line of david to be defiled.

God saved david by punishing him and bethsheba. That was their sacrifice for their sin. Since the coming of and death of the messiah God no longer has to hand down punishment at this time.

King david knew he was wrong and took his punishment and was not bitter towards God for the punishment handed down. Was david mad at God probably but in time david knew it was a just punishment.

How is that fair to the baby?

You think earth is a better place than heaven?

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
No matter how much you strain the christain religion is not much different than all the other myths about how we got here.

They were created in a time when man has veryt few real explanations for what his world was.

Myths to soothe a creative mind seeking for answers.

Actually it is different. It is different in it's scope, it's success, and the fact that it has been at the root of things like abolition, outreach to the desperately poor and oppressed, and the creation of the greatest nations on earth, foremost among them, the USA.

What you are forgetting is that God is a just God as well and hands down punishment for sin. David was appointed King over Gods people and he misused his auithority. The messiah was gonna come through the line of David. God was not gonna allow the line of david to be defiled.

God saved david by punishing him and bethsheba. That was their sacrifice for their sin. Since the coming of and death of the messiah God no longer has to hand down punishment at this time.

King david knew he was wrong and took his punishment and was not bitter towards God for the punishment handed down. Was david mad at God probably but in time david knew it was a just punishment.

Well God judges the heart. He took the first born of the Egyptians as well because of disobedience. David and bethshebas act was disobedience.

He judged the baby's heart and killed the baby?

Or

He judged the parent's hearts and this makes infanticide ok?

He passed judgement on David and took the baby to heaven.

God is just, and righteous. He gives life, and he can take it, it is his to take. And of course when it's an innocent child, that child goes straight to him, so there is no punishment to the child.

Well I don't think heaven exists.

But if heaven does exist, and God is putting the baby in a better place, how would that be punishment to the parents? The parents could be happy their baby is in a better place and have another child.

Rest assured, none of that paragraph is what I think.

so dead babies are a good thing?

Who's killed more babies?
God or Planned Parenthood?

The abortion issue is always a good deflection for God's crimes in the Bible.

If you believe a fetus is a baby at all times during the pregnancy, and heaven is better than earth, abortions are a good thing right?

What if the baby is born and becomes some heathen infidel non-believer like the vast majority of babies and ends up in hell? That'd be infinitely worse right?

But if heaven does exist, and God is putting the baby in a better place, how would that be punishment to the parents? The parents could be happy their baby is in a better place and have another child.

The parents are going to grieve because their child is gone....NOT because they don't know it's in a better place, they're just going to miss their Child. Even though i know there's Heaven, if one of my kids died i would still be miserable because i wouldn't see them again until i die myself. But you learn to go on.

so dead babies are a good thing?

If you believe a fetus is a baby at all times during the pregnancy, and heaven is better than earth, abortions are a good thing right?

What if the baby is born and becomes some heathen infidel non-believer like the vast majority of babies and ends up in hell? That'd be infinitely worse right?

Murder by abortion is NOT the same thing....God didn't plan that abortion, the mother did!

Murder by abortion is NOT the same thing....God didn't plan that abortion, the mother did!

But an abortion insures the fetus/baby will go to heaven right? If the baby is born and like the overwhelming majority of babies grows into something besides a christian as an adult it'll go to hell, correct?

And we won't know why the baby had to die. But i'm sure it ended up being with God and never knew what happened! Just as all innocent Children go to God when they die (even Saul's grandchildren). We don't always know the reasons God decides to do something. Could you imagine what it would be like if NOBODY ever died before they were at a certain age? There's a reason it happens, someday we'll know why.

You know, a nun said something like that to me at my mom's funeral. This psychotic old frustrated lesbian had the nerve to give me this "God has a reason" BS at my mom's funeral.

My only regret is I didn't slam her head into a wall. Just for laughs.

That's a threat. Reported, scum.

It's punishment (and I'm sure you're intelligent enough to know this, or maybe not...just as I'm sure your obnoxious questions are primarily rhetorical in nature and not meant to gain information or insight, but to sow discord) because for most people, and especially for ROYAL people, children are an asset.

I don't expect you to understand that, since you seem to not assign any value to children in the first place.

It's punishment (and I'm sure you're intelligent enough to know this, or maybe not...just as I'm sure your obnoxious questions are primarily rhetorical in nature and not meant to gain information or insight, but to sow discord) because for most people, and especially for ROYAL people, children are an asset.

I don't expect you to understand that, since you seem to not assign any value to children in the first place.

Glad to have the board's sweetheart back, hope you've been well hunny.

Since I'm here speaking out against children being murdered, I don't value children.

Ahhh how I've missed your emotional hysterics.

Well thank you but I've been here all along.

You're not speaking out against murder. God doesn't murder, it's an impossibility. You're speaking out against God. There's a difference.

Meanwhile, I do believe you're pro-abortion and correct me if I'm wrong...aren't you one of the "we have too many people" fruitcakes? Who believes that starvation, abuse, neglect, etc. can be "cured" by eliminating children?

You're not speaking out against murder. God doesn't murder, it's an impossibility. You're speaking out against God. There's a difference.

Meanwhile, I do believe you're pro-abortion and correct me if I'm wrong...aren't you one of the "we have too many people" fruitcakes? Who believes that starvation, abuse, neglect, etc. can be "cured" by eliminating children?

I've told you 100 times, but i don't mind tell you for a 101st time.

I'm not pro-abortion.

I'm not a there's too many people person.

I know I'm not the only one, you've lied about tons of people having those positions who don't as a way to try to get someone to agree with your emotion-based diatribe. But please don't change that about you, I always enjoy the threads you're in :party:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Gawd.

Attachments

• $evolution of superation.jpg
    $evolution of superation.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 66

I'm not pro-abortion.

I know I'm not the only one, you've lied about tons of people having those positions who don't as a way to try to get someone to agree with your emotion-based diatribe. But please don't change that about you, I always enjoy the threads you're in :party:

And I (and the rest of the world) have told you...you can't support legalized abortion and not be pro-abortion.

Unless you change the definition of the words, which I've no doubt you would do if you could.

As for the rest of your weird and senseless rant, ironically the exact example of what you're whining about...what can I say except :cuckoo:.

I'm not pro-abortion.

And I (and the rest of the world) have told you...you can't support legalized abortion and not be pro-abortion.

Unless you change the definition of the words, which I've no doubt you would do if you could.

As for the rest of your weird and senseless rant, ironically the exact example of what you're whining about...what can I say except :cuckoo:.

No the world hasn't told me that, the many voices in your head don't count as the world.

Have a great day.

Forum List

Back