David and Bathsheba's baby- was God's punishment just?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JoeB131, Jan 7, 2012.

1. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,973
    2 Samuel 11 and 12

A story the nuns like to bowlderize when I was a kid, because the actual verses are just so awful.

Short version- David sees Bathsheba bathing, and calls for her to have some wild sex. But she is married to his loyal officer Uriah the Hittite. After his attempts to get Uriah to do the nasty with her fail, he arranges for him to be sent into battle in such a way that he be killed, so he can have Bathsheba for himself.

Well, God is none to happy about this, and puts a curse on David. His baby will die, and his son will rise up against him.

So I guess the question is, like a lot of the other stories where God kills children, was this a just punishment? Does it really comform to the Christian notion of a "loving" God?

2. Youwerecreated

Youwerecreated VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +174
    What you are forgetting is that God is a just God as well and hands down punishment for sin. David was appointed King over Gods people and he misused his auithority. The messiah was gonna come through the line of David. God was not gonna allow the line of david to be defiled.

God saved david by punishing him and bethsheba. That was their sacrifice for their sin. Since the coming of and death of the messiah God no longer has to hand down punishment at this time.

King david knew he was wrong and took his punishment and was not bitter towards God for the punishment handed down. Was david mad at God probably but in time david knew it was a just punishment.

3. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    How is that fair to the baby?

4. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,660
    Gnostic Christianity had an explanation!!!

They(gnostics) saw the material world as created through an intermediary being (demiurge) rather than directly by God. In most of the systems, this demiurge was seen as imperfect, in others even as evil. Different gnostic schools sometimes identified the demiurge as Adam Kadmon, Ahriman, El, Saklas, Samael, Satan, Yaldabaoth, or Yahweh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism]Gnosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  5. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    You have to remember God is an anthropomorphic being.

6. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,973
    Again, not seeing why the baby needed to die.

Let's forget, this is the same God that let David hand over Saul's grandchildren for mass murder, that killed 70,000 Israelites because David took a census, that the second part of the Urriah episode was that Absolom rose up in rebellion, plunging the country into civil war.

Yahweh is a barbaric God for a barbaric people.

7. Caroljo

Caroljo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    And we won't know why the baby had to die. But i'm sure it ended up being with God and never knew what happened! Just as all innocent Children go to God when they die (even Saul's grandchildren). We don't always know the reasons God decides to do something. Could you imagine what it would be like if NOBODY ever died before they were at a certain age? There's a reason it happens, someday we'll know why.

8. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,973
    You know, a nun said something like that to me at my mom's funeral. This psychotic old frustrated lesbian had the nerve to give me this "God has a reason" BS at my mom's funeral.

My only regret is I didn't slam her head into a wall. Just for laughs.

9. Youwerecreated

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Well God judges the heart. He took the first born of the Egyptians as well because of disobedience. David and bethshebas act was disobedience.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  10. Youwerecreated

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Sorry for your loss. The only time a person dies is not because the will of God unless it is for judgment.

People die prematurely all the time, it's not because God wills it.