David and Bathsheba's baby- was God's punishment just?

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
2 Samuel 11 and 12

A story the nuns like to bowlderize when I was a kid, because the actual verses are just so awful.

Short version- David sees Bathsheba bathing, and calls for her to have some wild sex. But she is married to his loyal officer Uriah the Hittite. After his attempts to get Uriah to do the nasty with her fail, he arranges for him to be sent into battle in such a way that he be killed, so he can have Bathsheba for himself.

Well, God is none to happy about this, and puts a curse on David. His baby will die, and his son will rise up against him.

So I guess the question is, like a lot of the other stories where God kills children, was this a just punishment? Does it really comform to the Christian notion of a "loving" God?

2 Samuel 11 and 12

A story the nuns like to bowlderize when I was a kid, because the actual verses are just so awful.

Short version- David sees Bathsheba bathing, and calls for her to have some wild sex. But she is married to his loyal officer Uriah the Hittite. After his attempts to get Uriah to do the nasty with her fail, he arranges for him to be sent into battle in such a way that he be killed, so he can have Bathsheba for himself.

Well, God is none to happy about this, and puts a curse on David. His baby will die, and his son will rise up against him.

So I guess the question is, like a lot of the other stories where God kills children, was this a just punishment? Does it really comform to the Christian notion of a "loving" God?

What you are forgetting is that God is a just God as well and hands down punishment for sin. David was appointed King over Gods people and he misused his auithority. The messiah was gonna come through the line of David. God was not gonna allow the line of david to be defiled.

God saved david by punishing him and bethsheba. That was their sacrifice for their sin. Since the coming of and death of the messiah God no longer has to hand down punishment at this time.

King david knew he was wrong and took his punishment and was not bitter towards God for the punishment handed down. Was david mad at God probably but in time david knew it was a just punishment.

2 Samuel 11 and 12

What you are forgetting is that God is a just God as well and hands down punishment for sin. David was appointed King over Gods people and he misused his auithority. The messiah was gonna come through the line of David. God was not gonna allow the line of david to be defiled.

God saved david by punishing him and bethsheba. That was their sacrifice for their sin. Since the coming of and death of the messiah God no longer has to hand down punishment at this time.

King david knew he was wrong and took his punishment and was not bitter towards God for the punishment handed down. Was david mad at God probably but in time david knew it was a just punishment.

How is that fair to the baby?

2 Samuel 11 and 12

Gnostic Christianity had an explanation!!!

They(gnostics) saw the material world as created through an intermediary being (demiurge) rather than directly by God. In most of the systems, this demiurge was seen as imperfect, in others even as evil. Different gnostic schools sometimes identified the demiurge as Adam Kadmon, Ahriman, El, Saklas, Samael, Satan, Yaldabaoth, or Yahweh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism]Gnosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Last edited:
2 Samuel 11 and 12

Again, not seeing why the baby needed to die.

Let's forget, this is the same God that let David hand over Saul's grandchildren for mass murder, that killed 70,000 Israelites because David took a census, that the second part of the Urriah episode was that Absolom rose up in rebellion, plunging the country into civil war.

Yahweh is a barbaric God for a barbaric people.

2 Samuel 11 and 12

Let's forget, this is the same God that let David hand over Saul's grandchildren for mass murder, that killed 70,000 Israelites because David took a census, that the second part of the Urriah episode was that Absolom rose up in rebellion, plunging the country into civil war.

And we won't know why the baby had to die. But i'm sure it ended up being with God and never knew what happened! Just as all innocent Children go to God when they die (even Saul's grandchildren). We don't always know the reasons God decides to do something. Could you imagine what it would be like if NOBODY ever died before they were at a certain age? There's a reason it happens, someday we'll know why.

And we won't know why the baby had to die. But i'm sure it ended up being with God and never knew what happened! Just as all innocent Children go to God when they die (even Saul's grandchildren). We don't always know the reasons God decides to do something. Could you imagine what it would be like if NOBODY ever died before they were at a certain age? There's a reason it happens, someday we'll know why.

You know, a nun said something like that to me at my mom's funeral. This psychotic old frustrated lesbian had the nerve to give me this "God has a reason" BS at my mom's funeral.

My only regret is I didn't slam her head into a wall. Just for laughs.

2 Samuel 11 and 12

How is that fair to the baby?

Well God judges the heart. He took the first born of the Egyptians as well because of disobedience. David and bethshebas act was disobedience.

Last edited:

You know, a nun said something like that to me at my mom's funeral. This psychotic old frustrated lesbian had the nerve to give me this "God has a reason" BS at my mom's funeral.

Sorry for your loss. The only time a person dies is not because the will of God unless it is for judgment.

People die prematurely all the time, it's not because God wills it.

You sound just like my dad did when my mom died. So i understand how you feel. I still believe that my mom died when it was her time. It doesn't mean i like it, but i will accept it.

God gave His only Begotten Son to pay the price of sin and because of Him, that child who died, will rise from the dead.

Is that just?

Sorry for your loss. The only time a person dies is not because the will of God unless it is for judgment.

No, it isn't. My frustration is with people who say it is.

But in this case, the Bible says it was God's will. This was God getting back at David and Bathsheba for their sin. Why not punish David and Bathsheba. They were the ones who sinned?

God gave His only Begotten Son to pay the price of sin and because of Him, that child who died, will rise from the dead.

Is that just?

No, that's just silly.

Frankly, I don't see the whole Jesus thing as being a sacrifice. an eternal being decides to slum it for 30 years as a mortal and be dead for three days before going back to being an eternal being. (Or in your case, going back to Kolob to enjoy eternal life).

So God suffers to remove a curse that God inflicted.... A curse that was because someone listened to a talking snake and ate an apple from a magic tree.

No, it isn't. My frustration is with people who say it is.

But in this case, the Bible says it was God's will. This was God getting back at David and Bathsheba for their sin. Why not punish David and Bathsheba. They were the ones who sinned?

I have no answer for this. Other then maybe he wanted to humble them both for what they did. Losing a child is very harsh on anyone. He also preserved the last annointed King of Israel.

It humbled David and made him a better King.

But it say's God will judge the ignorant, meaning the ones who never had a chance to know him.

I believe all children who have passed early in life will be given that chance to know him in the 1,000 year reign of Christ.

2 Samuel 11 and 12

Depends on your view of death. For Christians, death is not something to fear, it is for those left behind to mourn, but not fear. The baby, therefore, did not 'suffer'. It is only those who don't believe who see the baby's death as a bad thing for the baby.

Is that just?

No, that's just silly.

Frankly, I don't see the whole Jesus thing as being a sacrifice. an eternal being decides to slum it for 30 years as a mortal and be dead for three days before going back to being an eternal being. (Or in your case, going back to Kolob to enjoy eternal life).

So God suffers to remove a curse that God inflicted.... A curse that was because someone listened to a talking snake and ate an apple from a magic tree.

God is so Holy that he has to punish all sin. So he paid the price for adam because of adam we all inherited a sinful nature.

We can't have a relationship with God without the atonement for sins period. He was tired of man offering up a sacrifice of his creatures to pay for our sins only for us to sin again, So he sacrificed himself with a perfect sacrifice to cover all sins.

You notice how Jews no longer sacrifice. They will tell you because they have no temple but that is simply not true. Because Abraham use to offer up sacrifices when there was no temple.

But if this really bothers you,you will not get an answer that will satisfy you from this forum but some day you might get the answer why God did it from him.

No matter how much you strain the christain religion is not much different than all the other myths about how we got here.

They were created in a time when man has veryt few real explanations for what his world was.

Myths to soothe a creative mind seeking for answers.

Forum List

Back