Dad Makes Daughter Walk to School in 36-Degree Weather for Bullying...was he right to do it?!

I walked to school as a kid. It was normal back then.

You know, I also remember when I was in the 4th grade, and lived in Libby MT. Well, I went out for wrestling that year, and about 2 times a week, I would have to walk home (4 miles) because there wasn't anyone to pick me up, they were at work.

But, I did that because I wanted to wrestle, and that was the price that had to be paid.

I think that the dad did a good thing in this case. Why? She bullied a student and was warned, and her dad took away some of her privileges for a while.

She then did it again and got kicked off the bus. But, she still had to go to school, and the dad thought that it would be a good learning experience for her.

Shoot..................I lived in Montana, and had a 1/2 mile hike each way from my house, just to get to the bus stop, and then it was a 45 min. ride to go 30 miles to get to school. And, there were times that I was walking in the snow, in below zero temps.

Sorry, but I can't get too worked up about a kid walking to school for punishment. She had a coat, walking keeps you warm, and her father was following her with the car.
I was going to ask if he followed and watched her

That would be my only worry about such penalties

This was on the news, dad followed her and broke up the 5 miles over three days.

Great dad and hopefully she learned a lesson
Ah ha.

The op made it sound like it was five miles a day every day.

Intentionally misleading.

He also kept an eye on her while she walked it.

Very good dad. He is adapting to the nanny state which allows no tolerance for bullying but which also watches every parent for some small sign of neglect.

Hopefully his girl learns to behave better.
The op gave a link, which quoted the father as saying that his beautiful daughter was to walk "five miles to school today."

I walked to both my elementary and Jr. High schools everyday because riding the bus sucked. It was 3 miles to my Jr. High, 2 too the elementary. Weather up here can get to 30 or 40 below three months during classes. I barely recall noticing it.

(Fucked up irony, both those schools are now closed due to the 7.0 last Friday >.<)

I remember walking to school in weather well below freezing like single digits in the morning with my friends with plenty of snow on the ground. We were so arrogant and stupid that none of us would wear the boots our parents had bought for us. We would be wearing tennis shoes and my feet would be frozen every morning arriving at school. We thrived just fine.

I think that the dad did a good thing in this case. Why? She bullied a student and was warned, and her dad took away some of her privileges for a while.

She then did it again and got kicked off the bus. But, she still had to go to school, and the dad thought that it would be a good learning experience for her.

Shoot..................I lived in Montana, and had a 1/2 mile hike each way from my house, just to get to the bus stop, and then it was a 45 min. ride to go 30 miles to get to school. And, there were times that I was walking in the snow, in below zero temps.

Sorry, but I can't get too worked up about a kid walking to school for punishment. She had a coat, walking keeps you warm, and her father was following her with the car.

This was on the news, dad followed her and broke up the 5 miles over three days.

Ah ha.

Very good dad. He is adapting to the nanny state which allows no tolerance for bullying but which also watches every parent for some small sign of neglect.

The op gave a link, which quoted the father as saying that his beautiful daughter was to walk "five miles to school today."
The link makes it pretty clear he broke it up over 3 days but either way it is not a bad thing.

Near where I live a young boy was caught shoplifting at a small store. The store didn't prosecute the boy ,but called the dad. The punishment was to stand out side for 2 hours with a cardboard sign saying I am a thief. The child appologized to every customer for shop lifting. The boy learned a valuable lesson that day.
My son shoplifted when he was probably 7 or so. He actually stole something pretty to GIVE me. Kids aren't so bright, right? So I found it first thing in the morning, I had to go to work, he had to go to school, and so I told him that when I got home from work, we were going to the store and he was going to give it back to the store owner and apologize.
I didn't know it until he told me years later, but he was TERRIFIED all day long. As it turned out the store manager accepted the apology and the item and after receiving a short but solemn lecture, my son walked away unscathed.
I would not have put my son to public shame like that other guy did.

I remember one time when I was stationed at Millington TN, and there was a serious ice storm the previous night.

Well, by this time, I had gotten used to living on a bicycle, and had 2 of them, one for road, and one mountain bike. When I saw that there was around 2-3 inches of ice on the ground (coated everything in ice, trees too), I grabbed my mountain bike with the studded tires, and took off for the 3 miles to work. Had a lot of fun, because riding on ice with studded tires is an experience.

Well, came through the gate, and got some really strange looks from the guard, and when I got to work, there were only 3 people there. Me, a Senior Chief, and a Chief. The Chief and the Senior Chief both had serious off road vehicles which is why they were able to get there. I was the crazy man that rode a mountain bike in.

Well, because the weather was so bad, they said we could go home, and I spent the rest of the day in single digit weather riding on ice.

Kids today are such wimps.

Hey we had it rough...I had to walk 5 miles to school along pacific coast highway in Malibu during a two week bus strike....it was horrific!!!!! still haunts me today!!!!

:10:

36 is not that cold if she has a winter coat

Above freezing
I and millions of others walked as far or farther to school in worse weather.

Might teach her a lesson
I did. I walked to school in worse weather.
We jogged at school on the track in similar weather yet somehow this is supposed to be different?

Come to think of it, I did the same thing in the fall during HS. And, I was running 3-4 miles/day because of cross country training.

Ah ha.

The link makes it pretty clear he broke it up over 3 days but either way it is not a bad thing.
The link I read repeated that she had to walk five miles to school several times, doll. And she had to walk 5 miles to school on 3 different days. If she had to walk both 5 miles to school and five miles back to her home, that'd be 10 miles a day. I just took what he said as "5 miles to school" as a given, and let it go at that. You can think what you want. This kid was crying for attention, because she was on her second offense when she decided she would walk to school. He took away her brat license. That's what's important. He may have to do it again until she understands she is not to continue bullying, because the object of her bullying is getting a lot of attention, too. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Next time, her offense could get her suspended from public school that is not prepared to perpetually deal with a mentally disturbed bully who doesn't learn a lesson from good teachers who intervene and a good dad who also intervenes. This kid is a self-serving brat and may need military discipline to put her on track with the fact there are other people in the world besides herself.

36 is not that cold if she has a winter coat

Above freezing
I and millions of others walked as far or farther to school in worse weather.

Might teach her a lesson
I did. I walked to school in worse weather.
We jogged at school on the track in similar weather yet somehow this is supposed to be different?

Come to think of it, I did the same thing in the fall during HS. And, I was running 3-4 miles/day because of cross country training.
Several years ago a large township near me had to cancel bus service do to a budget crises.

Naturally many parents bitched about having to drive their kids to school but many others simply made them walk. Every day in all weather.

No harm was done and many kids in this age probably needed the exercise. The township was big enough that I am sure some kids had to walk five miles or close to it.

Didn't hurt anyone.

Acting as a chauefer would have only punished the dad and rewarded the kid.

The op is stupid

The 5miles might be a bit much, but the temp thing is just bullshit emo propoganda.

All three of my boy walked the 2 miles to school in -20 F by choice...

5 miles might be a bit much? Really? For a teenager? I would hike that distance or more every time I went fishing, which was damn near every weekend in the summer.

She's ten years old.
But I still favor the punishment.

Ah ha.

The link I read repeated that she had to walk five miles to school several times, doll. And she had to walk 5 miles to school on 3 different days. If she had to walk both 5 miles to school and five miles back to her home, that'd be 10 miles a day. I just took what he said as "5 miles to school" as a given, and let it go at that. You can think what you want. This kid was crying for attention, because she was on her second offense when she decided she would walk to school. He took away her brat license. That's what's important. He may have to do it again until she understands she is not to continue bullying, because the object of her bullying is getting a lot of attention, too. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Next time, her offense could get her suspended from public school that is not prepared to perpetually deal with a mentally disturbed bully who doesn't learn a lesson from good teachers who intervene and a good dad who also intervenes. This kid is a self-serving brat and may need military discipline to put her on track with the fact there are other people in the world besides herself.
Read again.

Ah ha.

Read again.
Sure: and I quote by pasting: “A lot of children today feel that the things their parents do for them is a right and not a privilege, such as parents taking their children to school in the morning. Or even bus rides to school in the morning. All of that is a privilege and should be treated as such. So today my beautiful daughter is going to walk five miles to school in 36-degree weather.”

The 5miles might be a bit much, but the temp thing is just bullshit emo propoganda.

5 miles might be a bit much? Really? For a teenager? I would hike that distance or more every time I went fishing, which was damn near every weekend in the summer.

She's ten years old.

I was in the 4th grade when I wanted to wrestle. One of the conditions was that I walked the 4 miles home 2 times a week because the adults were working and there was nobody to pick me up.

I walked the 4 miles 2 times a week for the season, because I thought it was worth it.

She's ten years old.

I was in the 4th grade when I wanted to wrestle. One of the conditions was that I walked the 4 miles home 2 times a week because the adults were working and there was nobody to pick me up.

I walked the 4 miles 2 times a week for the season, because I thought it was worth it.

I would have rode a bike.

She's ten years old.

I probably could have, but walking was a better way to go, as sometimes people who I knew would pick me up and give me a ride.

She's ten years old.

I probably could have, but walking was a better way to go, as sometimes people who I knew would pick me up and give me a ride.

So you weren't really walking to school...

Forum List

Back