Conversion vs. Privacy

Kathianne said:
I think you are letting your conversations with RWA and Dillo get the better of you. You're picking the wrong tone or posters to act belligerent with. IMHO. Pretend all those conversations didn't exist, you are a new, more liberal sided poster, with reasonable perspective...

But he's not reasonable, he's a loon! :gross2:

Said1 said:
Oh. Haven't read that, but The Tao Pooh is really trippy. :laugh:

It's a good read. You get chapters which are ostensibly about the author and his travels (chautauqua was the metaphor he used) with big sections of his philosophical thinking. He also wrote another book which followed a similar theme but used a sailboat experience in place of the motorcycle, I think that one was entitled Leila or something similar. Anyway if you google Robert Pirsig you'll find out all about him.

Diuretic said:
It's a good read. You get chapters which are ostensibly about the author and his travels (chautauqua was the metaphor he used) with big sections of his philosophical thinking. He also wrote another book which followed a similar theme but used a sailboat experience in place of the motorcycle, I think that one was entitled Leila or something similar. Anyway if you google Robert Pirsig you'll find out all about him.

Yep. Good book. I've known elitist libs who hated it because it gave "low class" activites honor and meaning (they didn't explain it this way.). They prefer the elitist fluffery of Jonathan Livingston seagull.

rtwngAvngr said:
Yep. Good book. I've known elitist libs who hated it because it gave "low class" activites honor and meaning (they didn't explain it this way.). They prefer the elitist fluffery of Jonathan Livingston seagull.

I liked it too--- the dialogue pertaining to his search for his essence were great.

I thought Jonathon Livingston Seagull was a bit - well - a bit of a souffle where Zen was more of a solid meal. Hmm, using food metaphors and it's AFTER lunch...... :cof:

Diuretic said:
I thought Jonathon Livingston Seagull was a bit - well - a bit of a souffle where Zen was more of a solid meal. Hmm, using food metaphors and it's AFTER lunch...... :cof:

Thats why I like a lot of Alan Watts. Interesting philosphical views from a seminary student who studied Buddhism.

dilloduck said:
I liked it too--- the dialogue pertaining to his search for his essence were great.

Yes! They were right at the heart of it I think. I liked his reflections on riding/fixing the bike and the visuals I was getting from reading the words but the thinking dialogue bits they were really illuminating. And his references to the mental state (from memory - years since I read it) of the character (himself) but almost as if he were looking at himself.

He was also very patient when the bike needed fixing. I'd have shot the bloody thing.

Huh - Zen and the Art of the Exploding Motorcycle :chains:

I find this fuss fairly petty. Come on. We all face minor annoyances from time to time. I think of the junk mail I receive on a daily basis. Sometimes I find advertisements that interest me but sometimes I don’t. Look. Throw stuff that you do not want into the trash. Along the same lines, tell preachers and other salesmen that you are not interested and then tell them to leave you alone. It is as simple as that. If you don’t like a particularly vulgar show, don’t watch it. Block the channel or, better yet, sell the TV and stop being a couch potato. Trust me, it is not that difficult. It does not take much effort. If you think that it should not even be allowed in society, you might even host a boycott. That can be sort of fun.

Oh yeah. That “Do not call” program was another waste of time. People have gotten so lazy. “Oh, government, help keep sales calls away from me”. What a joke. Hey, how about taking it upon yourself to hang up the phone the moment that you realize that you no longer want to listen to the call.

I remember reading an article in which a guy was complaining about the unsolicited email that he has been receiving. I think that he wanted people to write to the government and call on representatives to outlaw junk e-mail. Doesn’t government have better things to do than to play baby-sitter. Hey, do some research. Learn about such features as “spam blocker”, and “block sender”. If that is too difficult for you to understand, educate your self about the simple “Delete” key. Sheesh.

Phaedrus said:
I'm not saying it isn't currently legal, I'm saying it should be illegal. You're violating my privacy without just cause.

How does one know they are violating one's privacy when knocking on one's door to sell a product or a belief system/religion, unless the person posts, "No Solicitations Please"?

Also, aren't we social creatures by nature, and isn't that an inate or inherent part of being human? Therefore contact with the outside world via, lawn care salesmen, or religious buffs is just a natural process of life, as a human?

Could one's concerns about privacy cross the line of normalcy and enter the realm of unhealthy detachment from human socializing behaviour..i.e. anxiety disorders, inordinate fears, fear of rejection, depression, fear of strangers.......etc.?

Eightball said:
How does one know they are violating one's privacy when knocking on one's door to sell a product or a belief system/religion, unless the person posts, "No Solicitations Please"?

Also, aren't we social creatures by nature, and isn't that an inate or inherent part of being human? Therefore contact with the outside world via, lawn care salesmen, or religious buffs is just a natural process of life, as a human?

Could one's concerns about privacy cross the line of normalcy and enter the realm of unhealthy detachment from human socializing behaviour..i.e. anxiety disorders, inordinate fears, fear of rejection, depression, fear of strangers.......etc.?

Dude, you do NOT want to go down this rabbit hole.

Phaedrus said:
/sigh I thought it might come down to this. I've driven away all reasonable debate due to percieved paranoia. My simple point is this, I have a right to privacy that conflicts with your wanting to advertise to me.

You can ask me through a telephone whether I want to talk about such things. Better yet, there is a no call registry, add a little checkbox that asks if you want to receive religious calls.

Note: You still have no right to come on my property without my permission. It's a simple fact, inherent rights shouldn't be left to the individual to enforce.

If this is the number one thing that bothers you at night as you drift off to sleep, then you are either a very blessed individual who has nothing else in their life to worry about, or you are just very wierd.

I'm leaning toward # 2.

Let me give you something else to think about.

What is the speed of dark?

Forum List

Back