Conversion vs. Privacy

Phaedrus said:
If I wasn't over it, I wouldn't be saying it's impracticable. I think it's an interesting line of conversation though.

Agreed--the clash of individual rights and freedoms. Always ends up looking pretty selfish and petty as I said. I can deal with my inherent rights without needing a law. Can I go into you yard to put out a fire ?? :laugh:

Phaedrus said:
Government sanctioned services. You can stop your mail to a degree. As to the phone, you pay for the service not for what they're providing. Part of what they provide is access to you.
United Parcel is not a government sanctioned anything. It is a private enterprise.
My phone number is unlisted. It shows up as private on people's caller ID. Because I pay the phone company, I have a right to use the phone service as I see fit. I don't have to answer any incoming call if I don't want to.

You pay for the service of being able to call people and be called by people you want to be called by. They provide more than this in letting other people call you. Sorry if I was unclear.

Phaedrus said:
You pay for the service of being able to call people and be called by people you wnat to be called by. They provide more than this in letting other poeple call you. Sorry if I was unclear.

No. YOu pay for the service to allow anyone with your number to call you.

You personally pay the phone company with the intention of paying for calls you don't want? Not if your sane... You individually pay for the calls you want, the calls you don't want are an unwanted byproduct.

UPS is available as an alternative to the government created service, it's still sanctioned.

Phaedrus said:
UPS is available as an alternative to the government created service, it's still sanctioned.

What does it mean when a business is sanctioned? Do you mean in the same way that all legally operating corporate entities are sanctioned?

dilloduck said:
Agreed--the clash of individual rights and freedoms. Always ends up looking pretty selfish and petty as I said. I can deal with my inherent rights without needing a law. Can I go into you yard to put out a fire ?? :laugh:

Got just cause? :chains:

Phaedrus said:
I recognize this as the reality, as I said this isn't practible. I don't believe this should be the way things are though.

Well, until you change the culture of America such that people are no longer welcome to be neighborly towards each other, this will never change.

rtwngAvngr said:
What does it mean when a business is sanctioned? Do you mean in the same way that all legally operating corporate entities are sanctioned?

I'm unsure where your confusion stems from...

If you are sitting back griping about how the government is not giving you what you are promised or deserve --------oh just get a pit bull.

Phaedrus said:
You personally pay the phone company with the intention of paying for calls you don't want? Not if your sane... You individually pay for the calls you want, the calls you don't want are an unwanted byproduct.

BUt you pay for it. It's part of the service.

I guess if there was some way of guaranteeing unwanted calls will not get through, I would buy the service. Would you have to update your do not receive list when you got a new girlfriend and stuff?

Phaedrus said:
I'm unsure where your confusion stems from...

You say UPS is sanctioned, it can come to your house. Are you saying UPS has special rights given to them by government that allow them to come on your property that other legal businesses don't have?

Hehe my family is literally owed billions by the US Government because of Saracen Pirates. No joke, nor do we expect to recieve recompensation ever.

Phaedrus said:
Because it is a business it's governement sanctioned???

Do you shoot boy scouts that come to your door collecting food for the needy?
What about other charities?

I think you're problem is with the people with who have a religious intent.

Joz said:
Because it is a business it's governement sanctioned???

Pretty much, the Goverment isn't doing anything to stop it. If they'd had an issue they would've done something, thus they sanction it. This is generally a dangerous line of assumption, but I think it's actually applicable here.

Joz said:
I think you're problem is with the people with who have a religious intent.

Not at all, thats a very poor assumption. Charities generally call or use flyers before showing up so people know they are coming.

I'm actually finding this concersation fun now that we're past the you're a crazy old man thing.

Phaedrus said:
Pretty much, the Goverment isn't doing anything to stop it. If they'd had an issue they would've done something, thus they sanction it.

So the government sanctions me walking up to your door in the same way.

Forum List

Back