Conversion vs. Privacy

I have no problems with witnesses', I simply think what they are doing is illegal.

Phaedrus said:
I have no problems with witnesses', I simply think what they are doing is illegal.

If just approaching your door and knocking is illegal why can't you call the cops until you ask them to leave? You can have lazer beam activated cell phones that autodial the cops when the beam is broken. Cool.

I shouldn't be responsible for telling somebody to leave. They should be responsible for asking whether they can come. Asking isn't advertising. Inherent rights shouldn't be left to the individual to enforce.

Phaedrus said:
I shouldn't be responsible for telling somebody to leave. They should be responsible for asking whether they can come. Asking isn't advertising. Inherent rights shouldn't be left to the individual to enforce.

You're insane.

/sigh I thought it might come down to this. I've driven away all reasonable debate due to percieved paranoia. My simple point is this, I have a right to privacy that conflicts with your wanting to advertise to me.

You can ask me through a telephone whether I want to talk about such things. Better yet, there is a no call registry, add a little checkbox that asks if you want to receive religious calls.

Note: You still have no right to come on my property without my permission. It's a simple fact, inherent rights shouldn't be left to the individual to enforce.

Phaedrus said:
/sigh I thought it might come down to this. I've driven away all reasonable debate due to percieved paranoia. My simple point is this, I have a right to privacy that conflicts with your wanting to advertise to me.

You can ask me through a telephone whether I want to talk about such things. Better yet, there is a no call registry, add a little checkbox that asks if you want to receive religious calls.

No. You're insane. You make a big deal about NOT calling the cops until AFTER you've told them to leave. That is reasonable. Now you're switching to them even being on your property.

Trespassing is only EVER enforced when homeowners call the cops. Would you like all property to be monitored 24/7 and for cops to come even absent a homeowner calling the cops?

You need to check out what the law says in your state. At common law (and some US jurisdictions recognise common law) there is an implied right for anyone to walk up to your front door. That implied right can be withdrawn by express notice - a sign at the front which says no-one is allowed to enter the premises (except those with a lawful authority to do so). Mind you, a person exercising their common law right to enter your property to go to your front door can't go around the back to look for you, that's trespassing in my jurisdiction.

But interesting point about the open door. That's not the case here, there's no implied right of entry even though the front door might be open.

So, at common law, unless you specifically withdraw your implied consent then people are permitted to knock on your door and show you a copy of the Watchtower.

As far as the right to convert - I believe that in Islam it's frowned upon but there is a more liberal view that says it should be permitted. In Judaism I believe that conversion to Judaism is not encouraged and it is quite difficult to convert, someone has to express a very committed desire to convert. In Buddhism - various sects - they seem to be quite okay with it. In the Christian denominations it seems to be acceptable.

This sounds like one of those "how many does it take to change a light bulb" jokes.

When I reference calling the cops, I'm stating the way things currently are. You admit you have no right to be on my property without permission, but then state you're going to do it anyway? It's now my responsibility to get rid of you? What are you smoking?

Phaedrus said:

I'm particularly interested in situations where there is an apparent or actual confilct in individual rights and freedoms. I don't think any REAL GOOD solutions have been proffered in many situations. You don't want to have to chase people outta your yard----I dont want to have to monitor my TV every second or even unsubscribe to it.

Maybe this THOU SHALT NOT DO ANYTHING TO OFFEND ME stuff has gotten outta control--ya think?

I guess I'm taking issue with the "implied consent". I've implied nothing. And welcome mats mean nothing to uninvited guests.

Phaedrus said:
When I reference calling the cops, I'm stating the way things currently are. You admit you have no right to be on my property without permission, but then state you're going to do it anyway? It's now my responsibility to get rid of you?

Yes.

Are you an old crazy lady with lots of cats and funny hair?

dilloduck said:
THOU SHALT NOT DO ANYTHING TO OFFEND ME

No, no, no that's not what I'm saying. I have no problem with people offending me, as it's my choice to be offended. I have an issue with violating rights.

Phaedrus said:
You admit you have no right to be on my property without permission, but then state you're going to do it anyway? It's now my responsibility to get rid of you? What are you smoking?

rtwngAvngr said:

you see no contradiction here?

Phaedrus said:
No, no, no that's not what I'm saying. I have no problem with people offending me, as it's my choice to be offended. I have an issue with violating rights.

WE ALL HAVE ISSUES WITH VIOLATING RIGHTS
So much of this is petty bullshit (some even contrived) that people need to just fucking get over it. This petty in-fighting among Americans will kill us before anything else will. It's stupid and childish on everyones' part.

Petty? Probably. Necessary? I think so.

Sometimes small changes are worth the annoyance.

Phaedrus said:
Petty? Probably. Necessary? I think so.

Sometimes small changes are worth the annoyance.

SO you want the cops to monitor all property and preemptively dispatch squad cars even absent a homeowner complaint?

Forum List

Back