Considering the "Dark Side" (H-D)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have always owned "metric" bikes (Honda, Kaw, Yam), mainly because I'm too cheap to spend 5 figures for a toy, and I just haven't seen the justification for the extra cost of a Harley versus a comparable, say, Honda (I always buy used). But I have rented E-Glides several times on vacation, and when they are "fresh," they can be nice bikes. Old ones, like old Trans Am's, vibrate like crazy (when idling), and sound and feel like a bucket of bolts. The heat wafting off the engine in the summer time is also a significant irritation, when riding in traffic. I've never had that with one of my water-cooled metric bikes.

Now tired of my Goldwing (and don't like the riding position), I'm looking for a cruiser to cruise into retirement, and I see several E-Glides on Craigslist that seem tempting. My price range is, say, $6,000 to $8,500. I want the "bat-wing" fairing, cruise control, a stereo, and a comfortable passenger seat with a substantial sissy bar. I don't particularly want the tour pack, but I need the storage capacity of the standard hard side-bags. It appears that the 2006 model is a lot more desirable than the 2005, since the used price increases substantially at that point. I'm not sure why this is. It is not clear to me what equipment comes with the "Standard," and "Classic" models, although obviously, the "Ultra" has everything you could ask for.

Typical of what I see is a black '05 "Standard," with aftermarket seats, stereo, and exhaust, 24,000 miles, for $8,500. The average retail value, with no added equipment is about $7,200, so the asking price is probably a stretch.

The alternative is a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe (or Venture) which is comparable in every way, is water-cooled, and would probably be more reliable, but IS NOT A HARLEY. For better or worse, owning and riding a Harley brings one into a fraternity of sorts, and opens up a whole world of social riding possibilities that generally do not exist for any metric bike.

Is there any hidden downside to owning a Harley? Does a Kevlar belt cost $1,000 to replace and have to be done every couple years? What?

Any other thoughts?

Your linked article is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you a bucketload!

Looking at a lot of different options, I am coming to the conclusion that my best option is a Japanese cruiser, mainly typified by a Royal Star or a Kawasaki Nomad - maybe a Yamaha Road Star "Silverado." All can be found around here with low miles in near-new condition for less than $5k.

Forum List

Back