Home Defense?

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
13600205_1560158030947012_6217570956419906800_n.jpg

The DP-12 has two 7-round magazine tubes and two barrels! It’s a double-barrel pump gun.

Looks interesting.

Comments?

First, I've been a longtime fan of a 12 ga pump being a first line of home defense. Racking a shell into the chamber has a distinctive sound which would do the job of driving off intruders all by itself.

Second, if 5 12 ga. shells don't do the trick, a handgun, my preference is a 1911A1, is a good backup. However, if it reaches that point, something is seriously wrong. It's not a normal home defense situation since most are resolved in a couple of shots from the 12 gauge.

Third, after reading several articles about using a magazine-fed semi-auto for home defense, I have mixed feelings on the "only a pump shotgun" issue. For me living in a rural area, it's both. Some articles:
The AR for Home Defense: One Expert's Opinion

AR-15: The Ideal Home Defense Gun? - Gun Digest

Home Defense: AR vs. Shotgun

8 Experts Pick Their Home Defense Weapon of Choice

BTW, I'm a proponent of the 7.62X39MM SP or HP over the 5.56MM, thus prefer the AK/SKS platform over the AR-15 one.

Lastly, if someone wants to spend $1300 on a shotgun they can't hunt with and only has a purpose of collecting dust for home defense, then God bless'em. It's their right to do so. I'd rather spend $600 on an AK-47 and go hog hunting with it THEN use it for home defense.

Last edited:
I liked the concept. Pretty cool gun. Here is an article I read on it awhile back,

The DP 12 Double Barreled Pump - SHOT Show 2015

And they are costly. I'll be okay with a plane old Remington 870 for now.

DP-12 Double Barrel Pump Shotgun

I have shot one of these. It actually mounts and points way better then it looks like it would and it's pretty controllable to. My girlfriend is very recoil sensitive, but she can shoot this one pretty good. It's just so damn ugly though.

Forum List

Back