H&R Automatic Ejecting 5th Model Revolver

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I generally don't mess with the old centerfire top-breaks but I came across this H&R today and bought it ($50.00) due to it's exceptional shape, perfect bore/mechanics, and the fact I have a bunch of .38 S&W ammo.

It was made sometime between 1924-1941. With these you have to go by features/markings to ID them.

It's chambered in .38 S&W and is rated for smokeless powder.

hr 001 (2).JPG

Evidently it was a former PD or security company revolver due to the rack stamp on the butt.

hr 005 (2).JPG

H&R AUTOMATIC EJECTING 5th MODEL

(SMOKELESS POWDER)------------------------------1924 - 1941

Auto-ejecting mechanism, Calibers 32 S&W Long, 6 shot cylinder capacity, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot cylinder capacity, hard rubber grip panels with Target Logo, nickel finish (blue optional), barrel lengths of 2½ (rare), 3¼ (standard), 4, 5 & 6 inches available.

The caliber is marked on the left side of the barrel on the 3rd - 5ths models.

“IF IT HAS A CALIBER MARKED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BARREL THEN IT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR SMOKELESS POWDER”

For the serious gun collectors. I wish I had the extra bucks to bid on this. I would like to be there and watch the bidding.
Alexander Hamiltons pistols.

For the serious gun collectors. I wish I had the extra bucks to bid on this. I would like to be there and watch the bidding.
Alexander Hamiltons pistols.
I wonder what caliber they were. They were made just a few years after the French went metric (1795 in France) but I don't know what the French used at the time to gauge caliber.

I wonder what caliber they were. They were made just a few years after the French went metric (1795 in France) but I don't know what the French used at the time to gauge caliber.
.58 caliber with an 4.75 inch barrel from what I gather. I was reading the comments and one was commenting on it how it must have a real kick I am not sure about the caliber.

They were made in France by Jean-Louis Jalabert and are engraved with “Jalabert-Lamotte” on the lock plates, Lamotte being Jalabert’s wife, Marie-Anne Lamotte.

Am I reading the caliber right .69?In this article on it.

Last edited:
.58 caliber with an 4.75 inch barrel from what I gather. I was reading the comments and one was commenting on it how it must have a real kick I am not sure about the caliber.

They were made in France by Jean-Louis Jalabert and are engraved with “Jalabert-Lamotte” on the lock plates, Lamotte being Jalabert’s wife, Marie-Anne Lamotte.

Am I reading the caliber right .69?In this article on it.

Yeah, .69 was the common caliber of the day for horse pistols. I guess Hamilton wanted to leave a mark!

If you want to see the only revolver in the world with truly automatic cartridge case extraction, check out this Belgian revolver I once owned:
DSCF0054.JPG

Caliber .25 When fired, the bullet flies out and at the same time the cartridge case flies back, reflecting against the thick, rounded firing pin .
DSCF0055.JPG

When I first fired it, I was unaware of this feature of the revolver and was surprised at the lack of empty cartridge cases in the cylinder of the revolver. A rare thing... I traded it in for a Swedish carbine, as I was collecting army weapons, not civilian ones.

Forum List

Back