College Football Playoffs

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
College Football Playoff doesn't need expansion – it needs reform

Interesting article on a suggestion. Do away with the conference championships and start the playoff for that game.

As it stands now, Georgia plays Alabama. We already saw that show. If you ask me, either team could lose and both could still be in, assuming Georgia does not lose by a wide margin, so who cares? Clemson plays Pitt. Who cares? Clemson need only win by one point and still be in the playoffs, something they could do in their sleep. Notre Dame gets to sit on their arse. Must be nice. Ohio State gets to play Northwestern. Again, no one cares other than Ohio State who will feel compelled to try to score a 100 points while looking like an arse to Northwestern fans, but hey, you have to try and impress the stupid judges. Oklahoma gets to play Texas. Again, we already saw the show and it was a defensive abomination.

Oh, and UCF gets to be ignored, simply because they have no tradition of winning big games.

This makes more sense than the people clamoring for an expanded playoff with conference champs from the Power 5 getting automatic spots.

Just go back to the way it was, Nascar should do the same..

I miss the marathon of great college football games January 1st.

Eight offers a better format
It would be really cool to have 8. With college football, that should be as large as it is allowed to go. Win 3 straight to be the national champion.

It was set up as amateur football no one wins ..

I can't stand the format now.
Can't please everyone. :dunno:

Exactly. The current system is still far better than going by the AP poll, and better than only the top 2 getting in.

Going to 8 to me is too much. Going to 6 might be an option, with 1-2 getting "byes"

considering how much time they get off between the season and the bowl games anyway, 1 more week isn't much.

Unless it was for the national championship they were exhibition games with no outcome other than bragging rights

Unless it was for the national championship they were exhibition games with no outcome other than bragging rights

The big bowls always had something more than just bragging rights to them. Saying you have won X Rose Bowls, or Y Cotton Bowls meant something.

Now saying you won Z Taxslayer.com bowls.....

As a player you used to be able to brag how you scored a touchdown in the Cotton Bowl or the Orange Bowl

Now you get to brag to your grandkids that you scored a touchdown in the Buttfuk.com Bowl and they will ask.......What was that?

The big bowls always had something more than just bragging rights to them. Saying you have won X Rose Bowls, or Y Cotton Bowls meant something.

Exactly now the bowl games don't mean anything..

Exactly now the bowl games don't mean anything..

The big ones still do, Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton, etc.

Especially when they are not one of the playoff bowls.

The Rose Bowl is still between the winners of the Big 10 and the Pac 10, (or the best that didn't make the playoffs)

It would be really cool to have 8. With college football, that should be as large as it is allowed to go. Win 3 straight to be the national champion.

Exactly. The current system is still far better than going by the AP poll, and better than only the top 2 getting in.

Going to 8 to me is too much. Going to 6 might be an option, with 1-2 getting "byes"

considering how much time they get off between the season and the bowl games anyway, 1 more week isn't much.
IMHO if they go to six, they may as well go to 8. That way each team has to win the same number of games to be the champ.

IMHO if they go to six, they may as well go to 8. That way each team has to win the same number of games to be the champ.

May as well go to 86..

May as well go to 86..

Or we could simply do without having a national champion!

Ok, we agree this system isn't perfect either. Some want more teams in the playoffs and some want less. Some want automatic bids for conference champions, or at least the requirement of winning your conference to get into the playoffs.

But the 2018 season will use the current playoff system. And there is no requirement to win your conference. Notre Dame doesn't even have a conference.

So for the 2018 season, I think the playoff final poll will be:
#1 Alabama
#2 Clemson
#3 Notre Dame
#4 Oklahoma

This simply assumes the favored teams win out. Alabama is favored over Georgia. Clemson is favored over Pitt. Notre Dame doesn't play.
Oklahoma is favored over Texas. And Ohio State is favored over Northwestern.

The top 3 teams are undefeated. If they win they are in.

If Oklahoma and Ohio State both win their conference championship games, I think Oklahoma gets the nod. They lost by 3 points to a ranked team. OSU, on the otherhand, lost by 29 to an unranked team that only earned bowl eligibility in the last game of the season and ended the season 6-6. OSU also had to have overtime to beat Maryland. Maryland is not even bowl eligible.

Oklahoma has looked great on offense. But their defense ranks near the bottom of the FBS in all categories. If I am not mistaken, they are ranked 125th in overall defense and 129 (dead last) in pass defense. And they have to play Alabama in the first game of the playoffs.

Notre Dame has had its moments. But they also struggled against some mediocre teams. They beat Pitt by 5 points. And Vandy by 5 points. Clemson's defensive front will wreck havouc on Notre Dame. Clemson's true freshman QB has looked very solid.

So my prediction is Alabama & Clemson will play for the Championship again. If so, 3 out of the 5 championship games will have been those 2 teams. Alabama will have played in every playoff and in 4 out of 5 championship games.

So the favored teams won in the 3 games that effected the CFP.

So the only reasonable rankings for the playoffs should be:
#1 Alabama
#2 Clemson
#3 Notre Dame
#4 Oklahoma

Forum List

Back