Closed due to diversity......Walmart closing 4 Chicago locations.

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Walmart has announced Tuesday that it is closing four of its Chicago stores because they are part of a group of locations that "lose tens of millions of dollars a year."

The retail giant says the Chatham Supercenter, the Walmart Health center, and the Walmart Academy at 8431 S. Stewart Ave., the Kenwood Neighborhood Market at 4720 S. Cottage Grove Ave., the Lakeview Neighborhood Market at 2844 N. Broadway St. and the Little Village Neighborhood Market at 2551 W. Cermak Road will shutter this upcoming Sunday.

"The simplest explanation is that collectively our Chicago stores have not been profitable since we opened the first one nearly 17 years ago -- these stores lose tens of millions of dollars a year, and their annual losses nearly doubled in just the last five years," Walmart said in a statement.

I wonder if they have tried the Service Merchandise model? ;)

b871df6bdd2b9f8a770b0e2176dff719.jpg

Chicago wouldn't allow Walmart to operate in the city 25 years ago. Little did they know all they had to do was stop prosecuting criminals and Walmart would want nothing to do with Chicago of their own accord. :laughing0301:

Walmart became "great" by choosing rural and semi-rural locations, near towns of 10-50 thousand, where they quickly became the go-to retailer and the customer base was conspicuously honest.

They cannot thrive in the Big City, where the pickings for employees are slim and "shrinkage" is massive.

I give a lot of business to WalMart Supercenters, because for certain purchases they are the best place to buy. It's also fun observing my fellow customers.

Walmart became "great" by choosing rural and semi-rural locations, near towns of 10-50 thousand, where they quickly became the go-to retailer and the customer base was conspicuously honest.

They cannot thrive in the Big City, where the pickings for employees are slim and "shrinkage" is massive.

I give a lot of business to WalMart Supercenters, because for certain purchases they are the best place to buy. It's also fun observing my fellow customers.
They also quickly put small shops and independent business owners in those rural and semi-rural locations out of business if you recall.

Personally I'm kind of sick of having Walmart being the only convenient choice for everyday non-foods shopping. Kmart is hardly around anymore. Sears is nowhere to be found. I see these closures of Walmart kind of being like giving members of Congress term limits once and for all. We definitely need to have some new players out there in the retail department store genre. Target is okay but overpriced and overrated in my opinion.

WE have two nearby, plus a Sam's. Added benny is Aldi's also opens up near Wally Worlds as well, and occasionally a Target. Competition has not entirely disappeared but yeah, the choices are a lot smaller then they were in the 1970's and 1980's. Sooner or later Wally World will buy out Aldi's and kill it.

WE have two nearby, plus a Sam's. Added benny is Aldi's also opens up near Wally Worlds as well, and occasionally a Target. Competition has not entirely disappeared but yeah, the choices are a lot smaller then they were in the 1970's and 1980's. Sooner or later Wally World will buy out Aldi's and kill it.
The squareheads own Aldi.

Yes, but how many places do you have to go? I like Walmart because I can pick up a hammer, some towels, shampoo, a sleeping bag, a frying pan and some cookies all at one place.
I wouldn't buy a hammer from Walmart, in fact, at one of the local home improvement chains, they sell pretty much all that stuff, and so do local grocery chains. It's rare that I even go to Target.

I wouldn't buy a hammer from Walmart, in fact, at one of the local home improvement chains, they sell pretty much all that stuff, and so do local grocery chains. It's rare that I even go to Target.
LOL....We have had a Target about as long as a Walmart and I've never been inside of it. They say it's MILF central. ;)

To be honest I suspect it's been six months or better since I've been inside the local Walmart. The wife shops there some though ALDI is getting more attention from her of late.

The squareheads own Aldi.

If 'squarehead' means Germans, yes. They train their checkers pretty well; they're faster than most convenience stores, even with a long line. Their store brands are mostly good too. Not many name brands, though, which probably frightens a lot of Burb types. The ydon't know that most goods are made and packaged at the same places, they just change the label machines when doing runs for different brands, especially canneries and baked goods.

Walmart has announced Tuesday that it is closing four of its Chicago stores because they are part of a group of locations that "lose tens of millions of dollars a year."

The retail giant says the Chatham Supercenter, the Walmart Health center, and the Walmart Academy at 8431 S. Stewart Ave., the Kenwood Neighborhood Market at 4720 S. Cottage Grove Ave., the Lakeview Neighborhood Market at 2844 N. Broadway St. and the Little Village Neighborhood Market at 2551 W. Cermak Road will shutter this upcoming Sunday.

"The simplest explanation is that collectively our Chicago stores have not been profitable since we opened the first one nearly 17 years ago -- these stores lose tens of millions of dollars a year, and their annual losses nearly doubled in just the last five years," Walmart said in a statement.

I wonder if they have tried the Service Merchandise model? ;)

b871df6bdd2b9f8a770b0e2176dff719.jpg

Chicago wouldn't allow Walmart to operate in the city 25 years ago. Little did they know all they had to do was stop prosecuting criminals and Walmart would want nothing to do with Chicago of their own accord. :laughing0301:
I just saw a Tiktok on this and had to check to make sure it was true. Voila, it is.
Personally I'm kind of sick of having Walmart being the only convenient choice for everyday non-foods shopping. Kmart is hardly around anymore. Sears is nowhere to be found. I see these closures of Walmart kind of being like giving members of Congress term limits once and for all. We definitely need to have some new players out there in the retail department store genre. Target is okay but overpriced and overrated in my opinion.
The point of the OP is that these bigger cities, where progressives are ruling, and have taken this stance to be light on crime, is driving these companies out. Not only will you NOT have Walmart, but nothing else. That's the point.

Wholefoods in San Francisco is closing its flagship store after just one year because of crime, employee safety, and bathrooms full dirty needles. Nike Store closed it's Portland Oregon store because of continuous break ins and are looking to fund police to protect the store.

What do you have remaining after all the businesses have vacated?

Slums and Ghettos

Welcome BACK SLUMS and GHETTOS.
Welcome to Americas future. Banana Republic, Democrat Utopia.
And what is sad, that culture will move on and cause other areas to become further victims to their lifestyle of crime and thuggery.
It happened where I'm at.

We've all seen the "People of Walmart" videos, there is less of that happening at Target, but it's America, and it happens there too.

And you know what, that woman will get her reparations via Target payout. As stupid and as ignorant as she is, I don't think the security guard should have punched her (even though she probably needed some sense knocked into her).

And you know what, that woman will get her reparations via Target payout. As stupid and as ignorant as she is, I don't think the security guard should have punched her (even though she probably needed some sense knocked into her).
You and I both know that woman needed to get her glasses knocked off her face, I'm not an advocate of violence but she deserves nothing from Target and their security staff have a right to protect themselves. Perhaps that woman got the wakeup call she desperately needed.

You and I both know that woman needed to get her glasses knocked off her face, I'm not an advocate of violence but she deserves nothing from Target and their security staff have a right to protect themselves. Perhaps that woman got the wakeup call she desperately needed.
I don't disagree. The police reviewed the footage and didn't arrest the security employee. However, I'm not sure we have seen the last of this. My guess is there will be a lawyer(s) that will put on their best used car salesmen pitch and tell her she has a payday coming because her rights were violated through some BS mechanism. Target in order to save face will payout because they do not want the negative publicity. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this is the last we will see of this wanna be Rosa Parks.

Forum List

Back