Christians: Are We Commanded To Preach To Others Or To Try To Save Their Souls?

I have read the Bible for some 50+ years now and have found no scriptures instructing the average lay Christian to either preach to sinners or to attempt to save any sinner's soul. If you have discovered such scripture, please post it. Thank you in advance.
Obviously you're unaware of the fact that this is an example of the arrogance common to many Christians, compelling non-Christians to reject your faith – and understandably so.

Who are you to identify another person as a 'sinner,' much less 'preach' to him. And by what 'authority,' your bible - certainly not.

Christians of all people are in no position to 'preach' to anyone about 'sin.'

Your time would be better spent addressing the many faults and failures of your religion, starting with your arrogance.

Why not try to actually READ what I said?

I have read the Bible for some 50+ years now and have found no scriptures instructing the average lay Christian to either preach to sinners or to attempt to save any sinner's soul. If you have discovered such scripture, please post it. Thank you in advance.

Matthew 28:19-20King James Version (KJV)
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mark 16:15-16English Standard Version (ESV)
15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Thank you again. I am well aware of both these scriptures, however, these instructions were specifically given by the Christ to the Apostles and not to any lay Christian.

For the record I am not a Bible believing Christian. I am convinced that if there is a judging God He will not judge us by what we believe but rather how we live our lives in accordance with those beliefs. However, I have studied the Bible for over 60 years and have many Christian friends. . When Christians spread the word they are living their faith and that is a wonderful thing . One of my best friends is a Christian and he told me Christians who don't spread the word are either spiritually lazy or they are ashamed to openly declare their faith.

I have never been offended or harmed in any way by Christians who wanted to share their faith. When the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door I tell them I would be glad to discuss the Bible with them, but I caution them that I am steadfast in my own faith and would not change. Once the parameters are set conversations are short but friendly.

If Christians feel they have found the truth and their lives have been enriched thereby, there is nothing wrong with them sharing their experiences and spreading their joy. And if they are genuinely convinced that those who did not believe in Christ were going to hell, I would expect them to do everything in their power to prevent this from happening; hell, I'd be preaching from the rooftops.

Christians should be guided by what the Bible says and there is a scriptural basis for proselytizing. Here are a few of the relevant verses:

“Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me. When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul” (Ezekiel 3:17-19, KJV).

This mandate to warn sinners of their wicked ways applies to all people, not just apostles. Although these Old Testament words do not address the Christian faith directly, it is nonetheless applicable to Christianity since it applies to each and all. The most direct references to a duty to publicly declare Christ come for the New Testament in verses such as the following (these verses clearly apply to ALL Christians, not just apostles):

“Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 10:32; see also Luke 12:8, Romans 10:9, and 1 John 4:15, KJV).

“Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels” (Mark 8:38, KJV).

People have different ways of doing almost everything and when it comes to spreading the Word some Christians are more personable than others. During my long life, I have encountered both the rudely aggressive and the friendly persuader. Even on the Internet you can see the various styles of those Christians on a conversion mission. Some belittle and degrade, while others are positive and caring. It is what it is. I suggest that when you criticize Christians for their attempts to convert you, it is proper to condemn their methods, but not their goals.

Conclusion: There are specific verses in the Bible which require Christians to proselytize. However, even in the absence of such specificity Christians would still have a duty to share the Word just as they would share other good things in their life. This is nothing more than common courtesy and caring. Besides, to a Bible believing Christian sharing the Word is more than just spreading good news; it is literally a matter of life or death. The Biblical message is that only those who accept Christ will be saved, and common sense dictates that only those who hear of Christ could possibly accept Him. Why would anyone expect Christians to remain silent when there is so much on the line?

Paul was very clear in defining the offices of the Church. There are ministers, teachers, etc. Our Church ministers do not go unto all the world and preach the gospel. Our Church ministers are to feed his local flock. Teachers take care of the Sunday School classes and may teach Bible study classes. The Deacons have their own place within the local Church. Most churches support evangelists who go forth into other countries and preach the gospel. The average lay Christian or local church member is often a babe in Christ him/herself and there are many folks out there who are not church members who are capable of totally destroying one of these babes in Christ in any Biblical debate of any substance. We have no right at all to judge another person. How dare we call anyone a sinner. We are not to decide whether anyone is saved or not. That is God's call. Unless one has actually received the gift of the Holy Spirit, he is lost. If you baptize a drunk man all you have when he comes out of the water is a wet drunk. Our churches are full of church members. The larger portion of these church members in attendance are unsaved.

Mark 16:15 Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

And you are doing just that? How many countries thus far?

Obviously you're unaware of the fact that this is an example of the arrogance common to many Christians, compelling non-Christians to reject your faith – and understandably so.

Who are you to identify another person as a 'sinner,' much less 'preach' to him. And by what 'authority,' your bible - certainly not.

Your time would be better spent addressing the many faults and failures of your religion, starting with your arrogance.

I've preached to people on the continent of Africa, people throughout Europe - Italy,Britain,Wales,France & more - Israel, Egypt, Iraq,Iran,Lebanon, anywhere people have a computer - I've preached to them. One of my favorite conversions was a Muslim boy whose mother had me on her friends list in order to keep track of my whereabouts. She wasn't home and he asked me by IM are you my friend? I said of course. He told me his father was a Catholic and his mother was a muslim. I shared the Gospel with him and asked him if he would like to accept Jesus Christ so he would be able to go to heaven ( as this is the only way one can enter heaven is to be born again ) he accepted Jesus Christ and became a born again Christian. Just as we were closing his mother came home and found out he was online with me. She took me off her buddies list but it matters not. Her son is saved and will now lead the rest of the family to Christ. That is just one story. I've got many! How much time do you have?

Last edited:
the great commission. We are to share the good news with others.

Amen. When someone claims they have read the bible for fifty years and cannot find the great commission there could be a vision problem. I'd look into getting some eyeglasses. That might help.

To the person misquoting scripture. That is not what Jesus said.

This is what Jesus said,

King James Bible
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. - Words of Jesus

This references the reason the Gospel must be preached throughout the entire earth. Salvation cannot come without the preaching of the Word of God. It is the Word of God which is living that converts the souls of men through the hearing of the Word of God. Faith comething by hearing. They must be told. How else will they know unless they hear the Word of God then the Spirit of God draws whom He will. The Gospel must be preached. By internet, by youtube, on the street corner, from the pulpit, from publications, tracks, the written message - from every possible form of communication - the gospel must go out to the world. That is the responsibility of every person who has believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. No exceptions!

It is written:
Romans 10 17 Consequently faith comes from hearing the message and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

Context
The Word Brings Salvation
16However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, "LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?" 17So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. 18But I say, surely they have never heard, have they? Indeed they have; "THEIR VOICE HAS GONE OUT INTO ALL THE EARTH, AND THEIR WORDS TO THE ENDS OF THE WORLD."…

And again it is written:

Romans 10 14 How then can they call on the one they have not believed in And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard And how can they hear without someone preaching to them

Context
13for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED." 14How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!"…
Cross References
John 9:36
"Who is he, sir?" the man asked. "Tell me so that I may believe in him."
Acts 8:31
"How can I," he said, "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
Ephesians 2:17
He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near.
Ephesians 4:21
when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.
Titus 1:3
and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,

For those who reading who would like to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. You feel the Lord is letting you know you are lost, you are not a Christian, you do not live for Christ. You know you are a sinner going to hell today. Repent of your sins. Acknowledge you are a sinner in need of salvation. Renouce your life of sin and tell the LORD you will follow Him and serve him. Then do this:
Romans 10 9 If you declare with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead you will be saved.

Context
8But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART "-- that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.…
Cross References
Matthew 10:32
"Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
Luke 12:8
"I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God.
Acts 2:24
But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.
Acts 2:32
God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it.
Acts 16:31
They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."
Romans 4:24
but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness--for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead.
Romans 10:10
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
Romans 14:9
For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
Imagine how upsetting it must be for Satan to have his workers make threads intended to destroy the faith of men only to watch God send His own servants to bring the Gospel and save souls of men - and on the very same thread! ha! ha! I love it! I absolutely love it! Thank God for the Word of God!

Last edited:

Everyone is a sinner. There is no one to identify.

I've preached to people on the continent of Africa, people throughout Europe - Italy,Britain,Wales,France & more - Israel, Egypt, Iraq,Iran,Lebanon, anywhere people have a computer - I've preached to them. One of my favorite conversions was a Muslim boy whose mother had me on her friends list in order to keep track of my whereabouts. She wasn't home and he asked me by IM are you my friend? I said of course. He told me his father was a Catholic and his mother was a muslim. I shared the Gospel with him and asked him if he would like to accept Jesus Christ so he would be able to go to heaven ( as this is the only way one can enter heaven is to be born again ) he accepted Jesus Christ and became a born again Christian. Just as we were closing his mother came home and found out he was online with me. She took me off her buddies list but it matters not. Her son is saved and will now lead the rest of the family to Christ. That is just one story. I've got many! How much time do you have?

Do you also speak, write, or type in tongues?

Everyone is a sinner. There is no one to identify.

Exactly. All have sinned and come short, even Christians. Am I to point out the splinter in my brother's eye when I have a log in mine? Even those who are devout will scarce be saved.

This is what Jesus said,

King James Bible
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. - Words of Jesus

This references the reason the Gospel must be preached throughout the entire earth. Salvation cannot come without the preaching of the Word of God. It is the Word of God which is living that converts the souls of men through the hearing of the Word of God. Faith comething by hearing. They must be told. How else will they know unless they hear the Word of God then the Spirit of God draws whom He will. The Gospel must be preached. By internet, by youtube, on the street corner, from the pulpit, from publications, tracks, the written message - from every possible form of communication - the gospel must go out to the world. That is the responsibility of every person who has believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. No exceptions!

It is written:
Romans 10 17 Consequently faith comes from hearing the message and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

Context
16However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, "LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?" 17So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. 18But I say, surely they have never heard, have they? Indeed they have; "THEIR VOICE HAS GONE OUT INTO ALL THE EARTH, AND THEIR WORDS TO THE ENDS OF THE WORLD."…

And again it is written:

Romans 10 14 How then can they call on the one they have not believed in And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard And how can they hear without someone preaching to them

Context
13for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED." 14How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!"…
Cross References
"How can I," he said, "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near.
when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.
and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,

For those who reading who would like to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. You feel the Lord is letting you know you are lost, you are not a Christian, you do not live for Christ. You know you are a sinner going to hell today. Repent of your sins. Acknowledge you are a sinner in need of salvation. Renouce your life of sin and tell the LORD you will follow Him and serve him. Then do this:
Romans 10 9 If you declare with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead you will be saved.

Context
8But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART "-- that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.…
Cross References
"Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
"I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God.
But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.
They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."
but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness--for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead.
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
Imagine how upsetting it must be for Satan to have his workers make threads intended to destroy the faith of men only to watch God send His own servants to bring the Gospel and save souls of men - and on the very same thread! ha! ha! I love it! I absolutely love it! Thank God for the Word of God!

Now tell us when the gospel will be preached unto all the world. We are also told that God will have all men to be saved and come into the knowledge of the truth. Do you know the truth? Are you preaching the truth, or is it that you are preaching what you believe to be truth?

Why would it matter? What she said was sufficiently clear.

Que idioma necessitas hablarla?

Well, you stated you have preached to Israelites, French, and a whole bunch of other folks. I am awed by the mere fact that you are fluent in so many languages. Do you work for the State Department or some other government agency as a translator?

Amen. When someone claims they have read the bible for fifty years and cannot find the great commission there could be a vision problem. I'd look into getting some eyeglasses. That might help.

When someone misinterprets plain scripture as written, perhaps they should pray for understanding. You say you are a preacher and a saver or souls yet you attack your brother. You are the very reason for my OP. You spout salvation but you show your true self.

From my own experiences and observations I would have to say that the hellfire and damnation preaching and condemnations of the stanch fundamentalism crowd has done more to damage Christianity and lose more souls than the Inquisition.

This is what Jesus said,

King James Bible

It is written:

Context

And again it is written:

Context
Cross References

Context
Cross References

Now, just exactly which scripture of all those you posted instructs a lay Christian to preach to and to accuse anyone?

Why would it matter? What she said was sufficiently clear.

Que idioma necessitas hablarla?

Well, you stated you have preached to Israelites, French, and a whole bunch of other folks. I am awed by the mere fact that you are fluent in so many languages. Do you work for the State Department or some other government agency as a translator?

I never said anything of the sort.

Alot of people speak English. It's a common tongue nowadays.

Now, just exactly which scripture of all those you posted instructs a lay Christian to preach to and to accuse anyone?

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is not a message of accusation or condemnation. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is good news. Jesus Christ atoned and died for the sins of the world. Through His actions we can overcome death and sin. The resurrection brings about our immortality and the Atonement our Eternal Life.

The resident Bible thumper at work used to say (until she quit) that you didn't have to convince anyone to get Baptized. You've already spread the Word, if they reject it, it's on them not you.

When someone misinterprets plain scripture as written, perhaps they should pray for understanding. You say you are a preacher and a saver or souls yet you attack your brother. You are the very reason for my OP. You spout salvation but you show your true self.

I agree with this post...but perhaps you should state the reason for your OP? What point are you trying to make?

The resident Bible thumper at work used to say (until she quit) that you didn't have to convince anyone to get Baptized. You've already spread the Word, if they reject it, it's on them not you.

Wow and I'll bet you didn't harass her at all at the workplace.

You don't have to convince anyone to get baptized. Baptism isn't necessary for salvation. We spread the word about Christ, by sharing scripture and personal testimony.

We pray for guidance and we pray for the people who are unsaved...but whether or not they reject the Word is, indeed, upon them and not us.

Forum List

Back