Christians: Are We Commanded To Preach To Others Or To Try To Save Their Souls?

the_human_being

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have read the Bible for some 50+ years now and have found no scriptures instructing the average lay Christian to either preach to sinners or to attempt to save any sinner's soul. If you have discovered such scripture, please post it. Thank you in advance.

I have read the Bible for some 50+ years now and have found no scriptures instructing the average lay Christian to either preach to sinners or to attempt to save any sinner's soul. If you have discovered such scripture, please post it. Thank you in advance.

Matthew 28:19-20King James Version (KJV)
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mark 16:15-16English Standard Version (ESV)
15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Last edited:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Thank you again. I am well aware of both these scriptures, however, these instructions were specifically given by the Christ to the Apostles and not to any lay Christian.

THB, the commandment is until the end of the world.....so this could mean that ALL, until the very end of the world, should spread the Good News, because obviously the Apostles would not live that long and should not end with their deaths....

I can see how you could see this commandment as an order for only the hierarchy of the Christian movement, but Christ didn't say that....He didn't command ONLY the hierarchy or apostles, He didn't say to limit this spreading of the Good News to just the apostles.... so to me, that is open for everyone to do, including lay people.

THB, the commandment is until the end of the world.....so this could mean that ALL, until the very end of the world, should spread the Good News, because obviously the Apostles would not live that long and should not end with their deaths....

I can see how you could see this commandment as an order for only the hierarchy of the Christian movement, but Christ didn't say that....He didn't command ONLY the hierarchy or apostles, He didn't say to limit this spreading of the Good News to just the apostles.... so to me, that is open for everyone to do, including lay people.

But I protest. He was talking directly to the Apostles who were the only ones present at that time and the only ones at that time qualified to do it. Were he speaking to Paul or Abraham at that particular time you would have to surmise that he was commanding only Paul or Abraham. My sense is this: The very reason we Christians have so much poor publicity is because many tend to get into everyone's face and preach and point out their faults instead of following Christ's own example with the woman caught in adultery.

If you remember, the Christ didn't jump up and down and bellow out at the woman or even condemn her for her actions. He merely told the men who wished to stone her to death to let the one there without sin cast the first stone. He then told the woman calmly to go and sin no more.

When Christians who are unlearned in Scripture begin preaching to someone they deem to be a sinner, that sinner often is more learned than the Christian and makes a complete disaster out of the situation. I say leave the preaching to the preachers. Besides, what can you even hope to accomplish?

Christ plainly stated that no man comes by Him unless the Father calls him. You are spinning your wheels unless the Father has first called the person to whom you are preaching.

Thank you again. I am well aware of both these scriptures, however, these instructions were specifically given by the Christ to the Apostles and not to any lay Christian.

You know very well and so did Christ that they would not live forever. It is for all Christians to do so. This is exactly why Christianity was spread to the whole world before he returns.
If it was as you said, Christianity would have died with them.

You know very well and so did Christ that they would not live forever. It is for all Christians to do so. This is exactly why Christianity was spread to the whole world before he returns.

Absolutely not. Christ said "No one comes by me lest the Father call him." Are you the Father? God has saw fit to call those necessary for His purposes throughout the ages. Unless you are a pastor or minister called by God and trained in the ministry, you have no business preaching to anyone. You are not even qualified to baptize.

Absolutely not. Christ said "No one comes by me lest the Father call him." Are you the Father? God has saw fit to call those necessary for His purposes throughout the ages. Unless you are a pastor or minister called by God and trained in the ministry, you have no business preaching to anyone. You are not even qualified to baptize.

Big difference for a person to follow and accept the calling than to spread the good news.
I never preach to anyone. I spread the good news. The rest is up to them that hear it and take the steps to follow.
Anyone who has been baptized receives the holy spirit, just like Jesus apostles did.
Anyone who has received the holy spirit can spread the good news that Jesus died for our sins.

There is a huge difference between traditional Christianity and what passes through the American right wing.

You will never see true Christians say "let him die" or "feed the poor and they will breed". Jesus preached helping the sick and the poor. So the right wing so called "Christians" will say that Jesus didn't mean we should give them "free stuff" because helping poor people to the American right means charity and giving them "stuff".

There is an old proverb:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

What that means is it's more worthwhile to teach someone to do something than to do it for them.

It's educating the middle class that became the foundation of what makes this country great. Unfortunately for this country, we now have an entire political party that believes education will turn you into a "liberal" and Jesus didn't really mean to help the poor and the sick.

So I believe that any real discussion on Christianity should start with defining what it actually stands for to Americans in this country. As long as that's not clear, any discussion is pretty meaningless.

I see THB's point, but there maybe a logical out here.

Jesus commanded his apostles to spread the message, but he did not instruct him on exactly how to spread.

Think about it. In Mark 15:15-16, didn't Jesus command them to spread the Gspel to the whole of creation? How where they going to do that without help? If I am right, they pretty much only got Italy and the Easter Mediterranean before they all died, that is not the whole of creation.

Jesus commanded his apostles to spread the message, but he did not instruct him on exactly how to spread.

Think about it. In Mark 15:15-16, didn't Jesus command them to spread the Gspel to the whole of creation? How where they going to do that without help? If I am right, they pretty much only got Italy and the Easter Mediterranean before they all died, that is not the whole of creation.

Considering the location and the technology available in those days, it was probably understood to be spread by foot.

For the record I am not a Bible believing Christian. I am convinced that if there is a judging God He will not judge us by what we believe but rather how we live our lives in accordance with those beliefs. However, I have studied the Bible for over 60 years and have many Christian friends. . When Christians spread the word they are living their faith and that is a wonderful thing . One of my best friends is a Christian and he told me Christians who don't spread the word are either spiritually lazy or they are ashamed to openly declare their faith.

I have never been offended or harmed in any way by Christians who wanted to share their faith. When the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door I tell them I would be glad to discuss the Bible with them, but I caution them that I am steadfast in my own faith and would not change. Once the parameters are set conversations are short but friendly.

If Christians feel they have found the truth and their lives have been enriched thereby, there is nothing wrong with them sharing their experiences and spreading their joy. And if they are genuinely convinced that those who did not believe in Christ were going to hell, I would expect them to do everything in their power to prevent this from happening; hell, I'd be preaching from the rooftops.

Christians should be guided by what the Bible says and there is a scriptural basis for proselytizing. Here are a few of the relevant verses:

“Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me. When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul” (Ezekiel 3:17-19, KJV).

This mandate to warn sinners of their wicked ways applies to all people, not just apostles. Although these Old Testament words do not address the Christian faith directly, it is nonetheless applicable to Christianity since it applies to each and all. The most direct references to a duty to publicly declare Christ come for the New Testament in verses such as the following (these verses clearly apply to ALL Christians, not just apostles):

“Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 10:32; see also Luke 12:8, Romans 10:9, and 1 John 4:15, KJV).

“Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels” (Mark 8:38, KJV).

People have different ways of doing almost everything and when it comes to spreading the Word some Christians are more personable than others. During my long life, I have encountered both the rudely aggressive and the friendly persuader. Even on the Internet you can see the various styles of those Christians on a conversion mission. Some belittle and degrade, while others are positive and caring. It is what it is. I suggest that when you criticize Christians for their attempts to convert you, it is proper to condemn their methods, but not their goals.

Conclusion: There are specific verses in the Bible which require Christians to proselytize. However, even in the absence of such specificity Christians would still have a duty to share the Word just as they would share other good things in their life. This is nothing more than common courtesy and caring. Besides, to a Bible believing Christian sharing the Word is more than just spreading good news; it is literally a matter of life or death. The Biblical message is that only those who accept Christ will be saved, and common sense dictates that only those who hear of Christ could possibly accept Him. Why would anyone expect Christians to remain silent when there is so much on the line?

But I protest. He was talking directly to the Apostles who were the only ones present at that time and the only ones at that time qualified to do it. Were he speaking to Paul or Abraham at that particular time you would have to surmise that he was commanding only Paul or Abraham. My sense is this: The very reason we Christians have so much poor publicity is because many tend to get into everyone's face and preach and point out their faults instead of following Christ's own example with the woman caught in adultery.

If you remember, the Christ didn't jump up and down and bellow out at the woman or even condemn her for her actions. He merely told the men who wished to stone her to death to let the one there without sin cast the first stone. He then told the woman calmly to go and sin no more.

When Christians who are unlearned in Scripture begin preaching to someone they deem to be a sinner, that sinner often is more learned than the Christian and makes a complete disaster out of the situation. I say leave the preaching to the preachers. Besides, what can you even hope to accomplish?

Christ plainly stated that no man comes by Him unless the Father calls him. You are spinning your wheels unless the Father has first called the person to whom you are preaching.
Good retort! Also, the bible states for us to do good, in all that we do...and to turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile with your adversary and all of those type of things so that others that are non believers, can come to believe through wanting to be like us, through wanting to be good tempered, giving and caring, no matter how horrible a person is treating us...and I believe THIS could be our calling as lay Christians in bringing the non believer to Christianity, while the scripture, as far as trying to convert someone to Christianity, with Baptism, is commanded to the ordained, or the person with a "calling"....so, I suppose you could be right on this...especially since there was no one Book of the Bible for any of the lay people to read in the first few hundred years after Christ, and most if not all lay people didn;t read back then....plus there were many segments or sects of Christianity early on, they were not unified in all the teachings till later on....

Yet I still believe, that we should spread the Good News....to the entire world....I just don't believe it is through spreading condemnation with no 'Good News' to be found... and NO, not to complete strangers, unless they themselves ask or are curious....but with friends, that are non believers, when they are ready to discuss or I can make them curious enough to ask me about my beliefs.... :D

Yes, a great disservice can be done, if the person trying to spread the Word is not pristine themselves....

so I guess I have not completely made up my mind on this yet.... but I am working on it! :lol:

Obviously you're unaware of the fact that this is an example of the arrogance common to many Christians, compelling non-Christians to reject your faith – and understandably so.

Who are you to identify another person as a 'sinner,' much less 'preach' to him. And by what 'authority,' your bible - certainly not.

Christians of all people are in no position to 'preach' to anyone about 'sin.'

Your time would be better spent addressing the many faults and failures of your religion, starting with your arrogance.

Mark 16:15 Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Considering the location and the technology available in those days, it was probably understood to be spread by foot.

Word of mouth. Any sales person will tell you it is the fastest form of communication - more results are produced through word of mouth then any other single sales technique. It's true.

Forum List

Back