California Atheists prevail on xmas in Santa Monica

They have just as much a right to have a space in the commons as any other group.

Damon Vix is behind the effort.

Last year, he put up a sign quoting Thomas Jefferson: "Religions are all alike -- founded on fables and mythologies." There were also selections on U.S. Supreme Court decisions about the importance of separating church and state.

Secularists feel a need to be more vocal and express their civil rights, he said.

Read more: Atheist Messages Displace California Park Nativity Scenes | Fox News

The difference is that the nativity scenes were placed as reminders of the season. The atheists on the other hand, placed thiers out of desire to basically do a "gotcha!" to christians during thier one of their holy seasons.

So on one hand we have people of faith trying to profess thiers, on the other, we have self absorbed hipster asshats trying to put down other people during a time of year they usually celebrate.

One is based on malice, the other is not. Even if you don't believe in relgion of any type, the morality of one vs. the other should be clear.

Not that I agree or disagree with in particular religion, but is anybody else starting to notice that the decline in religion in this country is coinciding with the decline in society in general, especially in work ethic.

They have just as much a right to have a space in the commons as any other group.

Damon Vix is behind the effort.

Last year, he put up a sign quoting Thomas Jefferson: "Religions are all alike -- founded on fables and mythologies." There were also selections on U.S. Supreme Court decisions about the importance of separating church and state.

Secularists feel a need to be more vocal and express their civil rights, he said.

Read more: Atheist Messages Displace California Park Nativity Scenes | Fox News

The difference is that the nativity scenes were placed as reminders of the season. The atheists on the other hand, placed thiers out of desire to basically do a "gotcha!" to christians during thier one of their holy seasons.

So on one hand we have people of faith trying to profess thiers, on the other, we have self absorbed hipster asshats trying to put down other people during a time of year they usually celebrate.

One is based on malice, the other is not. Even if you don't believe in relgion of any type, the morality of one vs. the other should be clear.
Right. It makes them appear negative and bitter.

Not a group with whom I would associate or even seriously consider.

Cat nailed it - they aren't helping themselves here.

And, they add fuel to the "militant atheist" complaints.

I have zero problems with the Atheists being allocated space to promote whatever they want during this time of year (what's good for one is good for all). But, they handled this badly.

Too bad we don't have more concerned citizens like my friends in Cali :cool: :mm: :eusa_boohoo:

Have they gotten the go ahead to fire up the ovens?

You godwinned this sumbitch on post #5? A telling sign of logical weakness.

godwins-law1.png

Why not? It's an easy way to stop a dumb thread. When you have people like Uncensored onboard, it's actually a no-brainer. :cool:

Not that I agree or disagree with in particular religion, but is anybody else starting to notice that the decline in religion in this country is coinciding with the decline in society in general, especially in work ethic.

Not really, no. I have noticed a distinct parallel between stupid comments and people who loudly profess to be religious.

Why not? It's an easy way to stop a dumb thread. When you have people like Uncensored onboard, it's actually a no-brainer. :cool:

I don't think it's a dumb thread. As a non-religious person, I find the topic interesting. It demonstrates a major public relations fail. "Winning" isn't always winning, when it comes to the realm of faith and belief.

Yes, we should always applaud gaming the system so as to show those overbearing Christians who's boss. :cuckoo:

This time of year is significant to them. Is it really helpful to be antagonistic and nasty towards believers because they want to share something really important to them with the community?

I mean, seriously. Christmas is one day. Atheists have 365 days to express their views, but doing it over the top of Christians seems a little like overkill.

Yes, I get that non-believers are significantly outnumbered in America (this was illustrated all too clearly to me while participating in singing Christmas carols last night at the local high school's "Holiday Concert." They threw in 2 Jewish songs to appease the non-Christian masses, and everything else was from a Christian tradition, for the most part.

(It was a little awkward for the Jewish participants, to say the least--and there were quite a few of them)

But...I don't think that engaging in tit for tat is how you win hearts and influence people.

And if ppl are offended, and it's a christian society, next year they'll have more applicants for the lottery and get their spots back.

I have 3 idiotic christian billboards on the block of the building i work at, 1 is an anti-evolution billboard, the other 2 are essentially telling you that you'll go to hell for not believing in the Bible. I have to put up with that under freedom of speech just like Santa Monica christians have to put with these displays.

Like i said, no big whoop. The billboards I see or the displays in the article.
It's not a big deal that they have a display. It's good, as a matter of fact, as equality under the law always is.

But, I find problems with it:

1. The display is telling others NOT to believe in their faiths. I doubt the other displays do anything of the sort.

2. And, Cat already mentioned this; they gamed the system to EXCLUDE other displays.

It doesn't really endear their cause (to get folks NOT to believe, based on their displays) to folks who might be questioning.

They might want to consider hiring a PR consultant. Just saying.

Hence why I posted about the christian billboards doing the exact same thing as these displays and how it's just freedom of speech.

Their billboards tell others NOT to believe in facts.

Their billboards smear everyone who isn't a christian by demanding they be a christian or they're going to hell.

You've got ppl of all religious and non-religious views who want attention, it's a flaw our species has.

Would I do what these Santa Monica ppl did? No. But i don't think it's a big deal, just like i don't think these dumb billboards close to my work building are a big deal.

As an atheist, I cringe at this type of behavior. Christians enjoy the season and the best course of action is to let them. I never minded Nativity Scenes and don't care if they are on public property as long as all religions are provided equal access

Hence why I posted about the christian billboards doing the exact same thing as these displays and how it's just freedom of speech.

Their billboards smear everyone who isn't a christian by demanding they be a christian or they're going to hell.

You've got ppl of all religious and non-religious views who want attention, it's a flaw our species has.

Would I do what these Santa Monica ppl did? No. But i don't think it's a big deal, just like i don't think these dumb billboards close to my work building are a big deal.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. The billboards by your office probably cause more alienation than any other thing. And, that's exactly what this accomplishes...it alienates people and offends them, for no good reason.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. The billboards by your office probably cause more alienation than any other thing. And, that's exactly what this accomplishes...it alienates people and offends them, for no good reason.

I wonder if there are examples of what the churches were putting in the displays in previous years. If they were billboards similar to what Dr Dock is talking about, then fine, what the atheists are doing in justified.

But if all they were putting in was nativity scenes, or christmas decorations, than the guy who did this is an asshat of the first degree. The signs he put up celebrate nothing, they just attack other people's beliefs.

I don't have the right to not be offended by something.

Nor am I going to tell ppl how to show their religious views, as long as it doesn't harm other ppl. Offending them is fine, me included, it's part of freedom of speech.

Nor am I going to tell ppl how to show their religious views, as long as it doesn't harm other ppl. Offending them is fine, me included, it's part of freedom of speech.

I agree that the atheist in question followed the rules, and did what he felt was right to do. I also agree that you do not have the right to an offensiveness free life.

The right I reserve is soley to call said atheist a sad pathetic douchebag.

I agree that the atheist in question followed the rules, and did what he felt was right to do. I also agree that you do not have the right to an offensiveness free life.

The right I reserve is soley to call said atheist a sad pathetic douchebag.

Fair enough

I don't have a problem with telling people not to act like idiots. I feel like it's being a responsible citizen. :lol:

I don't have a problem with telling people not to act like idiots. I feel like it's being a responsible citizen. :lol:

Very true.

Forum List

Back