California Atheists prevail on xmas in Santa Monica

Too bad we don't have more concerned citizens like my friends in Cali :cool: :mm: :eusa_boohoo:
Atheist Messages Displace California Park Nativity Scenes | Fox News
SANTA MONICA, Calif. – Atheist messages have displaced most of the Christmas nativity scenes that local churches had placed in a California park for nearly six decades, and the churches say it was a coordinated attack.

I don't feel like this is particularly helpful behavior on the part of atheists. We live in a pluralistic society. If we want respect for our beliefs, we have to respect the beliefs of others.

They have just as much a right to have a space in the commons as any other group.

Damon Vix is behind the effort.

Last year, he put up a sign quoting Thomas Jefferson: "Religions are all alike -- founded on fables and mythologies." There were also selections on U.S. Supreme Court decisions about the importance of separating church and state.

Secularists feel a need to be more vocal and express their civil rights, he said.

Read more: Atheist Messages Displace California Park Nativity Scenes | Fox News

They have just as much a right to have a space in the commons as any other group.

A space, sure. I believe the atheists have every right to be represented in the public space, along with the Christians, buddhists, pagans, Hindus and Islamics. Are the atheists entitled to 87% of the space? No. The Christians are (rightfully) upset not because the atheists have one space, but because they've taken most of them:

Local churches have traditionally claimed 14 of the 21 display spaces to illustrate the story of the birth of Jesus Christ.
But atheists got all but three of the spaces this year because of a new lottery system.

Don't do to other people what would be hateful to you. I don't see how you, as a rational person, can decry it when the Christians do it, and then turn around and applaud when the atheists do it. That's hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Too bad we don't have more concerned citizens like my friends in Cali :cool: :mm: :eusa_boohoo:

Have they gotten the go ahead to fire up the ovens?

You godwinned this sumbitch on post #5? A telling sign of logical weakness.

godwins-law1.png

Last edited:
Seems like pretty basic freedom of speech to me.

Next year if the number of christian applicants increases, they'll have more spots from the lottery.

No big whoop.

A space, sure. I believe the atheists have every right to be represented in the public space, along with the Christians, buddhists, pagans, Hindus and Islamics. Are the atheists entitled to 87% of the space? No. The Christians are (rightfully) upset not because the atheists have one space, but because they've taken most of them:

Local churches have traditionally claimed 14 of the 21 display spaces to illustrate the story of the birth of Jesus Christ.
But atheists got all but three of the spaces this year because of a new lottery system.

Don't do to other people what would be hateful to you. I don't see how you, as a rational person, can decry it when the Christians do it, and then turn around and applaud when the atheists do it. That's hypocrisy.
see below V V V plus:
a new lottery system.

Next year if the number of christian applicants increases, they'll have more spots from the lottery.

No big whoop.

No big whoop.

Yes, we should always applaud gaming the system so as to show those overbearing Christians who's boss. :cuckoo:

This time of year is significant to them. Is it really helpful to be antagonistic and nasty towards believers because they want to share something really important to them with the community?

I mean, seriously. Christmas is one day. Atheists have 365 days to express their views, but doing it over the top of Christians seems a little like overkill.

Yes, I get that non-believers are significantly outnumbered in America (this was illustrated all too clearly to me while participating in singing Christmas carols last night at the local high school's "Holiday Concert." They threw in 2 Jewish songs to appease the non-Christian masses, and everything else was from a Christian tradition, for the most part.

(It was a little awkward for the Jewish participants, to say the least--and there were quite a few of them)

But...I don't think that engaging in tit for tat is how you win hearts and minds.

I'm not even a believer, but I'd rather see ten manger scenes in the park than a bunch of holier than thou billboards. At least the manger scenes are charming.

Last edited:
Atheist Messages Displace California Park Nativity Scenes | Fox News
SANTA MONICA, Calif. – Atheist messages have displaced most of the Christmas nativity scenes that local churches had placed in a California park for nearly six decades, and the churches say it was a coordinated attack.

I don't feel like this is particularly helpful behavior on the part of atheists. We live in a pluralistic society. If we want respect for our beliefs, we have to respect the beliefs of others.
Exactly.

No big whoop.

Yes, we should always applaud gaming the system so as to show those overbearing Christians who's boss. :cuckoo:

This time of year is significant to them. Is it really helpful to be antagonistic and nasty towards believers because they want to share something really important to them with the community?

I mean, seriously. Christmas is one day. Atheists have 365 days to express their views, but doing it over the top of Christians seems a little like overkill.

Yes, I get that non-believers are significantly outnumbered in America (this was illustrated all too clearly to me while participating in singing Christmas carols last night at the local high school's "Holiday Concert." They threw in 2 Jewish songs to appease the non-Christian masses, and everything else was from a Christian tradition, for the most part.

(It was a little awkward for the Jewish participants, to say the least--and there were quite a few of them)

But...I don't think that engaging in tit for tat is how you win hearts and influence people.

And if ppl are offended, and it's a christian society, next year they'll have more applicants for the lottery and get their spots back.

I have 3 idiotic christian billboards on the block of the building i work at, 1 is an anti-evolution billboard, the other 2 are essentially telling you that you'll go to hell for not believing in the Bible. I have to put up with that under freedom of speech just like Santa Monica christians have to put with these displays.

Like i said, no big whoop. The billboards I see or the displays in the article.

Don't blame the Agnostics.

We have nothing to do with this. I could care less what others believe or how they celebrate.

This is the Atheists who demand that they use the power of government to shove their stupid religion down the throats of all Americans.

But...I don't think that engaging in tit for tat is how you win hearts and minds.

I'm not even a believer, but I'd rather see ten manger scenes in the park than a bunch of holier than thou billboards. At least the manger scenes are charming.

The leftist/Atheists godwinned it before the thread started.

Wow. You're painfully stupid. Nothing in the first post referred to BURNING PEOPLE IN OVENS A LA HITLER, you stupid fuck.

The level of bigotry by the left is astounding, not since 1929 have we seen this kind of open intolerance.

Perhaps it's because the right hasn't ever been quite as proudly and intolerably ignorant as it is right now.

You go, boyo. Fly that moron flag high. :badgrin:

Don't blame the Agnostics.

We have nothing to do with this. I could care less what others believe or how they celebrate.

This is the Atheists who demand that they use the power of government to shove their stupid religion down the throats of all Americans.

Not even all the atheists.

This really is the results of a different group. I like to call them the "RELIGI-PHOBES!"

People that hate or fear a particular or numerous religions due to the actions of some of their fanatics, truth or fictional history, or other notion be it true or false concerning the religions at hand.

Wow. You're painfully stupid. Nothing in the first post referred to BURNING PEOPLE IN OVENS A LA HITLER, you stupid fuck.

First off, fuck you.

Secondly, the opening post shows the bigotry of the Atheists in wanting to piss all over the traditions and holidays of the Christians. This is EXACTLY the way Anti-Semites behaved before Kristallnact.

Perhaps it's because the right hasn't ever been quite as proudly and intolerably ignorant as it is right now.

Ignorance is the failure to recognize, based on historical precedent, the pattern of the bigotry and intolerance demonstrated by this action.

You go, boyo. Fly that moron flag high. :badgrin:

Unkatore is right, you're a fucking imbecile.

True statement.

No big whoop.

But...I don't think that engaging in tit for tat is how you win hearts and influence people.

And if ppl are offended, and it's a christian society, next year they'll have more applicants for the lottery and get their spots back.

I have 3 idiotic christian billboards on the block of the building i work at, 1 is an anti-evolution billboard, the other 2 are essentially telling you that you'll go to hell for not believing in the Bible. I have to put up with that under freedom of speech just like Santa Monica christians have to put with these displays.

Like i said, no big whoop. The billboards I see or the displays in the article.
It's not a big deal that they have a display. It's good, as a matter of fact, as equality under the law always is.

But, I find problems with it:

1. The display is telling others NOT to believe in their faiths. I doubt the other displays do anything of the sort.

2. And, Cat already mentioned this; they gamed the system to EXCLUDE other displays.

It doesn't really endear their cause (to get folks NOT to believe, based on their displays) to folks who might be questioning.

They might want to consider hiring a PR consultant. Just saying.

Last edited:
of the Atheists in wanting to piss all over the traditions and holidays of the Christians. This is EXACTLY the way Anti-Semites behaved before Kristallnact.

YOu should win some sort of prize for posting the stupidest comment of the day. Having non-Christian displays in a public park is in NO FUCKING WAY remotely like burning millions of people to death in ovens.

I can't believe that there are actually morons on the internet stupid enough to require these sorts of explanations.

Forum List

Back