California Atheists prevail on xmas in Santa Monica

I am well aware of that.

I know tons of atheists.

I don't know many in real life, lots of Agnostics, but not many who put there fail into the whole "Nogod" thing.

And, none of the atheists I know are like that.

Stalemate.

;)

Dr. Drock?

:eusa_angel:
I see him as not really giving a flying fuck about much of anything related to beliefs, except to protect the Constitutional rights of believers and non-believers. And, that's pretty much what I get from the atheists I know in RL, too.

They only care about Constitutional rights in this topic.

What? I know tons of atheists and they are nothing like Westboro.

Atheist != Agnostic

Every Atheist I run into is an intolerant bigot who seeks to crush the religions liberty of others.

Gnosticism has to do with knowledge, not belief. Atheism or theism relates to ones position on the question of belief in God. I consider myself to be an agnostic atheist, in that I don't know if there is a God or not but I have no convincing reason to believe. When it comes to questions of knowledge about the existence of God, while it's possible to think that you are gnostic, I don't think it's possible to be anything other than agnostic in reality.

I find it hard to believe that every atheist you've ever met is hell bent on destroying the freedom to practice any religion you want to in this country. You understand that challenging someone's reasons for religious belief in a discussion is not the same as seeking to crush their freedom of religion, right?

I find it hard to believe that every atheist you've ever met is hell bent on destroying the freedom to practice any religion you want to in this country. You understand that challenging someone's reasons for religious belief in a discussion is not the same as seeking to crush their freedom of religion, right?

No, he doesn't know that. I don't think he's actually agnostic. I think he just plays one on the internet.

Hence why I posted about the christian billboards doing the exact same thing as these displays and how it's just freedom of speech.

Their billboards tell others NOT to believe in facts.

Their billboards smear everyone who isn't a christian by demanding they be a christian or they're going to hell.

You've got ppl of all religious and non-religious views who want attention, it's a flaw our species has.

Would I do what these Santa Monica ppl did? No. But i don't think it's a big deal, just like i don't think these dumb billboards close to my work building are a big deal.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. The billboards by your office probably cause more alienation than any other thing. And, that's exactly what this accomplishes...it alienates people and offends them, for no good reason.

The difference being that Christians are compelled to spread the Word of God. It seems the motivation behind atheism behavior is often just to be obnoxious. Would you agree?

The difference being that Christians are compelled to spread the Word of God. It seems the motivation behind atheism behavior is often just to be obnoxious. Would you agree?

Christians can control their compulsions as easily as atheists, and generally should. As a "no religious preference" person, I find both equally annoying. The state of affairs with my soul is nunyas.

Hence why I posted about the christian billboards doing the exact same thing as these displays and how it's just freedom of speech.

Their billboards smear everyone who isn't a christian by demanding they be a christian or they're going to hell.

You've got ppl of all religious and non-religious views who want attention, it's a flaw our species has.

Would I do what these Santa Monica ppl did? No. But i don't think it's a big deal, just like i don't think these dumb billboards close to my work building are a big deal.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. The billboards by your office probably cause more alienation than any other thing. And, that's exactly what this accomplishes...it alienates people and offends them, for no good reason.

I would agree that the atheists in the OP are, but other than that, no. I do not agree that they are any more obnoxious than a normal distribution of obnoxiousness in the total population.

Gnosticism has to do with knowledge, not belief.

That's the point.

I've seen no evidence supporting the idea that there is a god. I've also seen no evidence that precludes the possibility of a god. Being rational, I acknowledge that I don't know.

Religion is based on faith, belief without evidence. Likewise, Atheism is based purely on faith, belief without evidence.

Really, Atheism is just another religion, a particularly nasty one bent on proselytizing.

Atheism or theism relates to ones position on the question of belief in God. I consider myself to be an agnostic atheist, in that I don't know if there is a God or not but I have no convincing reason to believe. When it comes to questions of knowledge about the existence of God, while it's possible to think that you are gnostic, I don't think it's possible to be anything other than agnostic in reality.

Yet there are many who have a need to make absolute judgements that god does not and cannot exist.

I find it hard to believe that every atheist you've ever met is hell bent on destroying the freedom to practice any religion you want to in this country.

As I told Si Modo, I don't meet many Atheists. I meet a lot of Agnostics, but Atheists are fairly rare. I mostly run into them on the web or in the news. Virtually always they are seeking to deny 1st amendment rights to those who have a competing faith, as my earlier links demonstrate.

You understand that challenging someone's reasons for religious belief in a discussion is not the same as seeking to crush their freedom of religion, right?

Suing to deny others the right to express their beliefs is.

The behavior by the atheists cited in the story is obnoxious, just as the behavior of Christians who are compelled to put up billboards that imply non-believers will burn in hell is obnoxious. I don't care if they feel compelled to spread this message of "love" and "forgiveness," it's pretty goddamned obnoxious and it doesn't excuse their actions. If I feel compelled to masturbate in public, does that make me better than the person who does it just to be obnoxious?

I would say the general motivation behind "atheism behavior" (what the fuck does that even mean) is to promote the separation of church and state and to promote a healthy skepticism of supernatural claims, although I certainly don't speak for all atheists. Some atheists are more compelled than others to spread this message, a great deal of them don't give a flying fuck either way though.

Christians can control their compulsions as easily as atheists, and generally should. As a "no religious preference" person, I find both equally annoying. The state of affairs with my soul is nunyas.

Motivation and intent is part of the formula. The Bible instructs Christians to spread the Word. I'm not claiming that it offends your less or more.

It is just something to think about. Intention.

The behavior by the atheists cited in the story is obnoxious, just as the behavior of Christians who are compelled to put up billboards that imply non-believers will burn in hell is obnoxious.

See, here's the thing; I don't actually believe in hell. So a Christian telling me I'm going to hell is like "ho-hum, who cares?" Clearly, the Atheists are not at all secure in their faith to the deity Nogod that they worship.

I don't care if they feel compelled to spread this message of "love" and "forgiveness," it's pretty goddamned obnoxious and it doesn't excuse their actions. If I feel compelled to masturbate in public, does that make me better than the person who does it just to be obnoxious?

If you didn't believe, it would have no power over you.

I would say the general motivation behind "atheism behavior" (what the fuck does that even mean) is to promote the separation of church and state and to promote a healthy skepticism of supernatural claims, although I certainly don't speak for all atheists. Some atheists are more compelled than others to spread this message, a great deal of them don't give a flying fuck either way though.

Nonsense, the motivation is fear.

I would agree that the atheists in the OP are, but other than that, no. I do not agree that they are any more obnoxious than a normal distribution of obnoxiousness in the total population.

I clarified "often".

Forum List

Back