Bring back the rep system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it, it's just as easy to tell people how much you hate them and their posts.....just start a thread, like this one. There is no need for the rep system when you can do it in a thread and everyone can see what you posted.

When we had the rep system, I never negged people except when they negged me, I negged them back. And when I first came here, I was told I was stupid to neg back those that had more rep than me, but I figured it was more stupid to just let those bullies continue to neg me when I could neg them back. They kept bragging about how I should do the math....in other words, they were taking so many more points from me than I could take away from them....but really, if they were to do the math themselves, taking 1 or 2 points away from them is better than taking 0 points. So, it wasn't so much about the nice pms that you could send with a rep, it was more about the points, to those bullies, anyway. And I never got a nice note with a neg.....it was always an insult and name-calling. I can still send a pm with this system if I want to, or I can just reply and tell them how much I appreciate their post. Not a biggie, if you ask me.

Oh, and about those that negged me.....well, as soon as I passed them up in points, they quit their negging.... coincidence? Hardly.

That's why some folks would rep new people and others that would be negged mercilessly by Warrior and others for simply having a different opinion. Just to help offset that so that they wouldn't be run off the site. Yes, it did happen. So some would help them build their rep because these bullies would always stop if you got close to them in rep and if you surpassed them, they'd start kissing your ass.

I saw how some new people were ganged upon. Those who came in and were obviously conservative didn't have to put up with that crap because the left didn't play those kind of games - so they have no idea what it was like and probably don't understand why there was retaliation.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that "the right" was the only one picking on people.

Sure you do......even though you claim you're not partisan......but I never saw a "rightie" being ganged upon with neg rep to the point they had "splats". If there was, tell me who, I'll be waiting.
They played gang pos rep...

I remember very well when Mertex joined. She was slapped with red negs in her damn introduction thread. I was like WTF? So I started xapping her with pos rep..and others joined in. I can't count the times a newb would join just to be negged OUT.

Yeah, as I recall, even CK came in and gave me some pos rep. All this bs about missing the "ability to send nice messages" - to quite a few it was all about bullying....plain and simple, some of us were trying to use it the way it was intended and had to contend with the bullies.

Oh by the way, Gracie.....I really liked your post.

There was posters going through archives and red x ing.....Now that sounds like targeting to me folks....

Yep, there was a dude going around red "x ing" even posts in the Lounge.....he red ex'ed a picture of a kitten.....checked and he didn't ever make a post, so you couldn't even red x him back....now that is just nasty for the sake of nasty. I don't care how you dress it up.....the people that abuse it have more time on their hands to do crap like that than most of us, so they spoil it for the rest of us.

I miss that system because I could specify why I liked a posters comment.

I rarely negged but I could be very hard core when I did and would tell a poster in no uncertain terms why.

And, why can't you do it in a reply? Or a private message?

I'm not a pm kinda person. Trying not to come off like an idiot here or a lazy one :); but the old rep system sort of got me off my butt to take a little more time to compliment or to criticize and why.

The majority of the abusers are gone now. Or don't post as much. Those with HUGE rep...I loved that they lost it all. Petty of me, but I still was glad to see it all go.

The majority of the abusers are gone now. Or don't post as much. Those with HUGE rep...I loved that they lost it all. Petty of me, but I still was glad to see it all go.

Well that in the end was ridiculous. Truth that Gracie. Where everyone was just going for numbers.

I actually liked logging in and seeing that >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fill in the blank thought well enough of a post I made to comment on it and give me a positive rep because I'd made sense to them or touched their heart or soul.

Sort of brought one closer to others and made the USMB board better and a tad different than others.

I roll on many and the rep system from before truly made USMB stand out apart from the rest.

I rarely negged but I could be very hard core when I did and would tell a poster in no uncertain terms why.

I'm not a pm kinda person. Trying not to come off like an idiot here or a lazy one :); but the old rep system sort of got me off my butt to take a little more time to compliment or to criticize and why.

Okay, that was the good part of the rep system, however, the people that misused it are the ones responsible for it going away. And, it doesn't take that much more effort to reply to someone and tell them you agree with their post....if you don't want anyone else to see it, you can do it via PM. I liked the positive things about the Rep system, but didn't like what I saw.....people abusing it and using it to demean others. If they would leave the "points" off, I might could agree that it would be good to bring it back.

Okay, that was the good part of the rep system, however, the people that misused it are the ones responsible for it going away. And, it doesn't take that much more effort to reply to someone and tell them you agree with their post....if you don't want anyone else to see it, you can do it via PM. I liked the positive things about the Rep system, but didn't like what I saw.....people abusing it and using it to demean others. If they would leave the "points" off, I might could agree that it would be good to bring it back.

I'll have way more time in winter. I live in the land of 10 months of frozen hell and 2 months of bad skating where I push the limits of gardening to the max.

I run a lot of boards especially in election cycles. I'm really going to enjoy doing nothing for a bit before our next election up here.

I can't wait to talk beasties and recipes and what I''m going to order from my favorite seed companies for next years gruelling task of a garden from scratch.

I shall take the time out over the next few months to make sure I take that extra moment to thank someone for an exceptional post.

I run boards across the globe but I consider USMB home. I park myself here for good reason.

We have brilliant minds here. I appreciate them even though some are most certainly political opposites of my current stance.

Brilliant nonetheless. This is a good place. I'm proud to be a member.

you crack me up jake, no self awareness.....

You are lying, because you can't prove it. You and Ernie S. were part of a several years' assault by the extreme far righities against all you did not approve. Stats figured away for the rest of us to punish you guys and take away your collective power. The sane side of the Board beat down the crazy far right reactionaries. You have been whining ever since.

You and Stat came up with a way to punish some posters .... and you call others childish? You whine about being neg repped to the mods .. and you have the nerve to call others whiners? "Take away your collective power"? WHAT POWER??? Rep is meaningless, REMEMBER?? What childish assholes you both are. You think you figured a way to pull one over on those you claim abused the rep system? You moron, you screwed it for everyone, you ruined it for those of us (the majority, BOTH SIDES) who used the rep system as it should be used. In your plan to punish those 'abuser' posters, did it ever, ever occur to you that disabling the abusers ability to use the rep feature would do the trick? You just had to ruin it for the rest of us? Wow, just wow. Now we all know that Jake and Stat are responsible for the pussification of this place.

If rep is meaningless, why do you want it back? You can PM anyone you want and tell them how much you loved their post, if that's what you miss. Your idea that is has been ruined seems to me that rep wasn't really meaningless to you.

Go back and read BlackSand's posts on why. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Yeah, I read her bs about how you can get to your neighbor by walking across the lawn or driving around the block.....really....who in the hell would drive around the block to go see their next door neighbor? The point is for you and BlackSand, it's not that more difficult to go to "Conversations" ....you just have to hover your mouse over your username at the top right, click on conversations and start a conversation with whomever you want.....you don't have to drive around the block. It's really not any more difficult than hitting the rep button and typing a "limited" comment.

You miss the point ... repping someone was the start of the conversation. The ability to do that is now more cumbersome and no one does it. No one is linking to the post, going to converstions, pming the person, etc. It worked before but because whiners jake and stat whined ... well, it's gone.

The way I see it, it's just as easy to tell people how much you hate them and their posts.....just start a thread, like this one. There is no need for the rep system when you can do it in a thread and everyone can see what you posted.

When we had the rep system, I never negged people except when they negged me, I negged them back. And when I first came here, I was told I was stupid to neg back those that had more rep than me, but I figured it was more stupid to just let those bullies continue to neg me when I could neg them back. They kept bragging about how I should do the math....in other words, they were taking so many more points from me than I could take away from them....but really, if they were to do the math themselves, taking 1 or 2 points away from them is better than taking 0 points. So, it wasn't so much about the nice pms that you could send with a rep, it was more about the points, to those bullies, anyway. And I never got a nice note with a neg.....it was always an insult and name-calling. I can still send a pm with this system if I want to, or I can just reply and tell them how much I appreciate their post. Not a biggie, if you ask me.

Oh, and about those that negged me.....well, as soon as I passed them up in points, they quit their negging.... coincidence? Hardly.

That's why some folks would rep new people and others that would be negged mercilessly by Warrior and others for simply having a different opinion. Just to help offset that so that they wouldn't be run off the site. Yes, it did happen. So some would help them build their rep because these bullies would always stop if you got close to them in rep and if you surpassed them, they'd start kissing your ass.

I saw how some new people were ganged upon. Those who came in and were obviously conservative didn't have to put up with that crap because the left didn't play those kind of games - so they have no idea what it was like and probably don't understand why there was retaliation.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that "the right" was the only one picking on people.

Sure you do......even though you claim you're not partisan......but I never saw a "rightie" being ganged upon with neg rep to the point they had "splats". If there was, tell me who, I'll be waiting.

shootspeeders and tank both lean right and I believe they had splats at various times. I know tank did.

The gang negging went both ways, stop pretending that only the right did it.

I remember very well when Mertex joined. She was slapped with red negs in her damn introduction thread. I was like WTF? So I started xapping her with pos rep..and others joined in. I can't count the times a newb would join just to be negged OUT.

Yeah, as I recall, even CK came in and gave me some pos rep. All this bs about missing the "ability to send nice messages" - to quite a few it was all about bullying....plain and simple, some of us were trying to use it the way it was intended and had to contend with the bullies.

Oh by the way, Gracie.....I really liked your post.

So why not take the ability to rep away from those abusing it and leave it for the rest of us who didn't abuse it? That's part of why people are pissed that it's gone.

So why not take the ability to rep away from those abusing it and leave it for the rest of us who didn't abuse it? That's part of why people are pissed that it's gone.

Because the "bad people" were not the only ones abusing the neg rep system.

?? Why not take the ability to rep away from those abusing the system ... good OR bad ... and leave it for the rest of us who didn't abuse it?

Because the "bad people" were not the only ones abusing the neg rep system.

?? Why not take the ability to rep away from those abusing the system ... good OR bad ... and leave it for the rest of us who didn't abuse it?

Crap ... You have been here since 2008 and don't know how that story goes? Well ... There is really only one reason you take everyone's toy away because two parties cannot play nice together.

It happens when one side is favored over the other ... And you cannot take the toy away from the favored one without them pitching a shit-fit. So you take it away from everyone and call it fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back