Both Sides of the Gun Debate Need to Listen to This

If you're going to set your standard at a 0% accident rate you might as well buy a bullet, rent a gun and kill yourself now because there is not a zero chance that getting out of bed won't result in a fatal accident
I have taken all reasonable precautions so I can get out of bed safely. I don't think we can say the same about guns.

As pointed out many times. Gun purchases are exponentially more regulated.
More regulated than cars? How so?

Gun Purchases require a background check. Cars require none.

Gun purchases require a license. Cars require none

Many localities (if not all) have an age limit to buy a gun, there is no such limit on guns

Felons cannot buy a gun, they can buy a car

so now you agree, I take it?
Not all gun purchases require a background check or a a license but yes, you're correct that gun purchases are more regulated. Exponentially though I don't know about that.

On the other hand the use of cars is exponentially more regulated.

I know of no community where using a car is nearly as limited as using a gun (hell, in this city you can be arrested for shooting a bow within the city limits)

I've never heard of a child being sent home for bringing a toy car to school. I am aware of bringing, or even drawing a toy gun bringing expulsion.

You?

No...guns do not kill 1,300 children each year, that is a lie......I link to the CDC WISQARs site.....where they provide death statistics...tell me where they get 1,300 from those statistics.......
I was unable to confirm your numbers but here is where I got mine.

Do you consider 17 year old gang members "children" because your link does...which is where they get that number, as I suspected...my number comes from WISHERS, the CDC source for deaths in this country.......your link throws in gang members shooting each other......

Your link...

This is what I call the anti gun, bait and switch, they say child, and then hide the actual fact that the majority of those deaths are gang members, not your average kid playing in the neighborhood...

Guns kill nearly 1,300 children in the U.S. each year and send thousands more to hospitals

The majority of the nearly 1,300 children killed in gun-related incidents each year are boys between the ages of 13 and 17

And notice...most of the deaths are from gang activity ...... so again...this is because of democrat party policies on crime and incarceration...they keep letting violent gun criminals out of jail, over and over again........stop the democrats from releasing violent gun criminals from jail, and you reduce these numbers......

Most of these younger children appear to be "caught in the crossfire," either as innocent bystanders to community violence or during incidents of intimate-partner violence and family conflict, according to the report

It doesn't seem to be such a burden on the gun seller to require him to verify that the buyer is eligible to be a gun owner.
Yes...it is.....if you live in a place where there are few gun stores...like Chicago where there are none....you have to travel 30 miles to get to a gun store to do a background check......and then you will have to pay for that check....

And since we can already arrest felons who buy guns, or carry them or use them in crime, this is an unnecessary burden on law abiding people.......the only reason is to force gun registration.
I'm OK with UBCs and registration. I don't think either is or should be a burden.
I'm OK with guns for hunting, recreation, and self-defense provided the user is not a criminal or incompetent.
I'm OK with concealed carry but it should be a local decision.

I'm not OK with open carry but I think it should be a local decision.
I'm not OK with large capacity magazines, automatic weapons, or bumpstocks.

You are fine with UBCs and gun registration because you don't care about keeping your guns. Local decisions were also used to keep blacks from voting, using the same bathrooms and water fountains....our Rights are not based on location.....

Magazine capacity has nothing to do with crime or mass shooters.....and again, you don't care because you want guns banned....and banning standard magazines is a back door ban on pistols......

Canada, as well as every other small penis average size countries have rational gun laws, why not the United States?

Canada has growing gun crime....we have gun crime that is going down....

Canada.....

Police can't explain increase in shootings in Toronto | CBC News

The two shootings come as Toronto is experiencing a year of increased gun violence, up 35 per cent from last year. The number of victims has also increased, up by 80 per cent over last August, according to police statistics.

Deputy Chief Peter Sloly can't say why there have been so many shootings this year, adding that he's noticed an uptick in gun violence across the country.

"It's a concerning trend we're seeing this year," Sloly told CBC News. "We've put extra resources on the street, we've got extra intelligence coming in, we have extra support from our communities."

But Mayor John Tory thinks he knows why the city is witnessing so much gun play.

"There's some level of gang activity involved," he said. "There is the illegal gun trade that continues to be a real problem especially when it comes to the Canada-U.S. border."

-----------
Firearms: Making sense of Toronto’s cycle of violence

The number of people killed or injured by guns in Toronto so far this year is already higher than 2014, reversing a recent downward trend. But while gun violence appears to be going up in Ontario’s capital, criminologists say this apparent increase in gun violence doesn’t necessarily mean the city is becoming more dangerous.
This week alone, there have been seven shootings over a span of four days, two of them fatal, Toronto Police spokeswoman Caroline de Kloet said Friday.

Mr. Pugash said the number of shooting events this year – 162, as of Aug. 20 – is now on par with the number on the same date in 2012, the year police previously noted a spike in gun violence.

Police don’t know the reasons behind this year’s increase, Mr. Pugash said, and it’s an issue that could be impacted by an “infinite number of factors.”

Toronto Sun

TORONTO - Welcome to Toronto’s Summer of the Gun 2015.

It’s a headline neither Toronto Police nor city hall want to see.

There is no question statistics can be made to look a lot of different ways, but some statistics are just plain ugly.

Scary, actually.

For example, 36 more people have been shot so far this year in Toronto than at this point last year.

Toronto Police statistics show a 90% increase in people wounded by gunfire and a 48% increase in shootings (135 compared to 91).

And there have been 106 more shooting victims (those hit by gunfire, as well as those victimized by it).

In fact, the 227 shooting victims so far this year is 31 more than the total for all of 2014.

It’s true not all shooting victims have been hit by gunfire, but as Deputy Chief Peter Sloly points out, every gun shot, whether into the air or a tree, is one that could ricochet and strike an innocent victim like we saw in 2012 when a two-year-old was hit.

If you add the death and injury statistics, Toronto has seen 88 dead or wounded by gunfire in 2015 compared to 53 at this time last year. That’s a 66% increase.

It’s a big spike.

Shocking, horrifying numbers that seem to have just snuck up on us.

Many seem worried about the controversial carding issue, but these scary stats aren’t getting the same media attention. It doesn’t feel like a particularly violent summer, but the stats indicate otherwise.

And more, with stories...

'Brazen criminals' behind spike in Toronto gun crime, says deputy chief | CBC News

Another Canadian city with gun crime....

UPDATED: Why does Moncton have such high gun-crime rates?

United States....

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

--------
-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

Vegas. October 1, 2017, 58 dead, 500+ injured because it's more important to sell guns than to protect peoples lives.

Nice, France. July 14, 2016, 86 dead 458 injured because it's more important to allow people to drive trucks than to protect people's lives.

So we should let people have AR-15's because we let them drive trucks?

Is that what I said? Or, did I just ridicule your pathetic use of the victims of violence?

and comments from both side are welcome

-Geaux

Who is talking about taking everyone's guns?

The democrat party. At the CNN Town Hall, at the D.C. Rally, and the left wing, former Supreme Court Justice, to name a few.....both hilary and obama praised Australian gun confiscation as have many democrats at the local and state level.....and various towns are banning all semi automatic weapons.....

Them people........

Registration might make it harder for felons to get weapons since they can be traced.

OMG. THAT MAY BE THE STUPID POST OF THE YEAR!

Like a criminal CARES!
The criminal might not care but the person who would be tempted to sell to the criminal might care.

I don't guess you realize that it's against the law in MOST states to sell a firearm to someone who can't pass the background check. They don't seem to care about that, do they?
I don't guess you realize that in many circumstances you don't have to determine if someone could pass a background check before legally selling them a gun.

If you don't care about the law, you're right. So, if people aren't following the law as it is now, why not enforce the laws we have rather than call for more infringements to the rights we have left?

Many localities (if not all) have an age limit to buy a gun, there is no such limit on guns

Not all gun purchases require a background check or a a license but yes, you're correct that gun purchases are more regulated. Exponentially though I don't know about that.

I know of no community where using a car is nearly as limited as using a gun (hell, in this city you can be arrested for shooting a bow within the city limits)

I've never heard of a child being sent home for bringing a toy car to school. I am aware of bringing, or even drawing a toy gun bringing expulsion.

You?
TYPES OF DRIVER’S LICENSES
ALABAMA
Class A, B, C, D, M, and V licenses valid for 4 years. CDL permit valid for 1 year.

Class A is valid for driver with combination of vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, if vehicle is towing an excess of 10,000 lbs.

Class B is valid for single vehicle with GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more, and vehicle is not towing an excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

Class C is valid for single vehicle with GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs. or vehicle towing another vehicle that has a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 lbs., which includes vehicles designed to carry 16 or more passengers with the driver, and vehicles used to transport hazardous materials.

Class M is valid for motorcycle and motor-driven cycles.

Class V is valid for motorized watercraft.​

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) are U.S. federal regulations specifying design, construction, performance, and durability requirements for motor vehicles and regulated Automobile safety-related components, systems, and design features.
  • FMVSS No. 101: Controls and displays
  • FMVSS No. 102: Transmission shift lever sequence, starter interlock, and transmission braking effect
  • FMVSS No. 103: Windshield defrosting and defogging systems
  • FMVSS No. 104: Windshield wiping and washing systems
  • FMVSS No. 105: Hydraulic and electric brake systems
  • FMVSS No. 106: Brake hoses
  • FMVSS No. 108: Lamps,reflective device and associated equipment
  • FMVSS No. 109: New pneumatic tires for passenger cars
  • FMVSS No. 110: Tire selection and rims for passenger cars
  • FMVSS No. 111: Rear view and side view mirrors
  • FMVSS No. 113: Hood latch system
  • FMVSS No. 114: Theft Protection
  • FMVSS No. 116: Motor vehicle brake fluids
  • FMVSS No. 117: Retreaded pneumatic tires
  • FMVSS No. 118: Power-operated window, partition, and roof panel systems
  • FMVSS No. 119: New pneumatic tires for vehicles other than passenger cars
  • FMVSS No. 120: Tire selection and rims for motor vehicles other than passenger cars
  • FMVSS No. 121: Air brake systems
  • FMVSS No. 122: Motorcycle brake systems
  • FMVSS No. 124: Accelerator control systems
  • FMVSS No. 125: Warning devices
  • FMVSS No. 126: Electronic stability control systems
  • FMVSS No. 131: School bus pedestrian safety devices
  • FMVSS No. 135: Light vehicle brake systems
  • FMVSS No. 136: Electronic stability control systems on heavy vehicles
  • FMVSS No. 138: Tire pressure monitoring systems
  • FMVSS No. 201: Occupant protection in interior impact
  • FMVSS No. 202: Head restraints for passenger vehicles
  • FMVSS No. 203: Impact protection for the driver from the steering control system
  • FMVSS No. 204: Steering control rearward displacement
  • FMVSS No. 205: Glazing materials
  • FMVSS No. 206: Door locks and door retention components
  • FMVSS No. 207: Seating Systems
  • FMVSS No. 208: Occupant crash protection
  • FMVSS No. 209: Seat belt assemblies
  • FMVSS No. 210: Seat belt anchorages
  • FMVSS No. 212: Windshield mounting
  • FMVSS No. 213: Child restraint systems
  • FMVSS No. 214: Side impact protection
  • FMVSS No. 215: Exterior protection
  • FMVSS No. 216: Roof crush resistance
  • FMVSS No. 217: Bus emergency exits and window retention and release.
  • FMVSS No. 218: Motorcycle helmets
  • FMVSS No. 219: Windshield zone intrusion
  • FMVSS No. 220: School bus rollover protection
  • FMVSS No. 221: School bus body joint strength
  • FMVSS No. 222: School bus passenger seating and crash protection
  • FMVSS No. 223: Rear impact guards
  • FMVSS No. 224: Rear impact protection
  • FMVSS No. 225: Child restraint anchorage systems
  • FMVSS No. 226: Ejection Mitigation
  • FMVSS No. 301: Fuel system integrity
  • FMVSS No. 302: Flammability of interior materials
  • FMVSS No. 303: Fuel system ingegrity of compressed natural gas vehicles
  • FMVSS No. 304: Compressed natural gas fuel container integrity
  • FMVSS No. 305: Electric-powered vehicles: Electrolyte spillage and electrical shock protection
  • FMVSS No. 401: Interior trunk release
  • FMVSS No. 403: Platform lift systems for motor vehicles
  • FMVSS No. 404: Platform lift installation in motor vehicles
  • FMVSS No. 500: Low-speed vehicles

You?
ALABAMA
Class A, B, C, D, M, and V licenses valid for 4 years. CDL permit valid for 1 year.

Class A is valid for driver with combination of vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, if vehicle is towing an excess of 10,000 lbs.

Class B is valid for single vehicle with GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more, and vehicle is not towing an excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

Class C is valid for single vehicle with GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs. or vehicle towing another vehicle that has a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 lbs., which includes vehicles designed to carry 16 or more passengers with the driver, and vehicles used to transport hazardous materials.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) are U.S. federal regulations specifying design, construction, performance, and durability requirements for motor vehicles and regulated Automobile safety-related components, systems, and design features.
  • FMVSS No. 102: Transmission shift lever sequence, starter interlock, and transmission braking effect
  • FMVSS No. 120: Tire selection and rims for motor vehicles other than passenger cars
  • FMVSS No. 203: Impact protection for the driver from the steering control system
  • FMVSS No. 305: Electric-powered vehicles: Electrolyte spillage and electrical shock protection

How does any of that relate to his statements and questions?

You?
ALABAMA

And? With all of those regulations, cars still kill more people than guns.

Since cars are more dangerous than guns, do you want to raise the age to drive to 21? Since people like you think 18-20 year olds can't own a gun?

and comments from both side are welcome

-Geaux

Who is talking about taking everyone's guns?

Democrats, that's who....

Oh Look, Another Reason Why We Should Be Skeptical Of Democrats On Gun Control

Now, YouGov has a poll showing that 82 percent of Democrats want to ban semiautomatic firearms, while they’re evenly split on a total handgun ban. This is where the party stands on gun rights, our civil right to own firearms. They want to shred the Second Amendment and the gauge of Democratic Party members offers a dark vision of what could come if enough of these people are elected to Congress. Allahpundit broke down the numbers:
----

Democrats are also evenly split at 39/41 on, uh, whether to repeal the Second Amendment.
===========

Alabama lawmaker proposes ban on semiautomatic gun sales

Rep. Mary Moore, D-Birmingham, introduced a bill today that she said was intended to ban the sales of all semiautomatic guns, both rifles and pistols.

I don't guess you realize that in many circumstances you don't have to determine if someone could pass a background check before legally selling them a gun.
If you don't care about the law, you're right. So, if people aren't following the law as it is now, why not enforce the laws we have rather than call for more infringements to the rights we have left?
No, you can LEGALLY sell a gun WITHOUT a background check under the right circumstances.

No, you can LEGALLY sell a gun WITHOUT a background check under the right circumstances.

Yes...you can sell your Constitutionally protected property to anyone who is not a felon.

*sigh* Your ignorance knows no bounds.

You?
ALABAMA

How does any of that relate to his statements and questions?

I guess I could post every single address a gun is not permitted to shoot, but who has that kind of time?

And? With all of those regulations, cars still kill more people than guns.

Since cars are more dangerous than guns, do you want to raise the age to drive to 21? Since people like you think 18-20 year olds can't own a gun?
In 2016, there were about 222 million licensed drivers in the United States. In 2017, there were about 126.22 million households in the United States of which about 42% had a gun and 2.58 people per household for a total of 137 million people in homes with a gun. That includes minors so figure a ballpark number of 100 million.

In a recent year I found 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms". Motor vehicle accidents claimed 40,100 deaths in 2017.

My eyeballs tell me that guns are almost twice as dangerous as driving even though we drive considerably more than we use guns.

You?
ALABAMA

^^^^^^^ And none of these forbids or regulates the sale of any of these vehicles, whether you have a licence or register them.

Now, do you have a point, or are you just here to waste time?

I guess I could post every single address a gun is not permitted to shoot, but who has that kind of time?
Cars are banned in plenty of places. I can park in the mall garage but they refuse to let me drive into the mall.

When you are through trying to save face, come on back.

I have actually driven a car in a Mall (true story), but neither the Mall's parking garage, nor the Mall itself are taxpayer funded roads. (another true story)

Forum List

Back