Black Judge Kicks Whites Out of a Courtroom

BrianH

Mar 10, 2008
Texas
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344830,00.html

While I think it's wrong to send them out of the courtroom...I say cudos to the guy for having enough guts to "lecture" the people of his race.

I wonder if he was concerned for the whites safety? OR maybe he just felt embarrassed with the whites there. I don't feel like this is a bad guy, just made a careless decision in the heat of the moment.

Nope, no problem. Just thought it was an interesting story. You don't normally hear of people "racially" getting asked to leave a courtroom. I just thought I'd get everyone elses view of it. There's bound to be someone who says, "That racist judge," or "good, make the whites leave," or something to that effect. This was most definately more "flame-bait" than a problem. LOL

Reverse it. A white judge kicks all non whites out of a court room to " lecture" white defendants. What do you think the Headline would be?

Never thought of that, should have though. It would have made headlines, NAACP would be all over the place, Jesse Jackson and Quannel X would be out of their holes and all over that judge like chocolate on ice-cream.

Nope, no problem. Just thought it was an interesting story. You don't normally hear of people "racially" getting asked to leave a courtroom. I just thought I'd get everyone elses view of it. There's bound to be someone who says, "That racist judge," or "good, make the whites leave," or something to that effect. This was most definately more "flame-bait" than a problem. LOL

It is interesting. It's interesting to me because I never cease to be amazed at the power US judges have. I'm just not used to it.

Yes, I can see the racial aspect igniting people, don't know why though.

Never thought of that, should have though. It would have made headlines, NAACP would be all over the place, Jesse Jackson and Quannel X would be out of their holes and all over that judge like chocolate on ice-cream.

That's an effective simile, I hope you don't get bombarded for it.

If a judge has the right to kick anyone he or she wishes out of a courtroom and the judge can defend the decision (as it would appear this judge has) then who cares what objectors on the sidelines are saying?

That's an effective simile, I hope you don't get bombarded for it.

If a judge has the right to kick anyone he or she wishes out of a courtroom and the judge can defend the decision (as it would appear this judge has) then who cares what objectors on the sidelines are saying?

Because THIS judge was ALLOWED to defend a decision that a white Judge would not be able to defend with the EXACT same words and deeds. It is a double standard. It is racial if a white does it, but just " no problem" if a black does it.

The same reason Obama can have a racist " mentor" and no one gives a rats ass but Trent Lott got thrown under the bus for saying something nice about a retiring US Senator.

A black person in this country can be as racist as they want, they can openly state their racism and they are given a pass. A white person even smiles at some off color joke and they are hounded out of office. By the same people that do not care that a black man is racist.

Because THIS judge was ALLOWED to defend a decision that a white Judge would not be able to defend with the EXACT same words and deeds. It is a double standard. It is racial if a white does it, but just " no problem" if a black does it.

The same reason Obama can have a racist " mentor" and no one gives a rats ass but Trent Lott got thrown under the bus for saying something nice about a retiring US Senator.

A black person in this country can be as racist as they want, they can openly state their racism and they are given a pass. A white person even smiles at some off color joke and they are hounded out of office. By the same people that do not care that a black man is racist.

When a white judge does it the other way we'll see what happens, until then it's pure speculation.

As for the rest of your post - opinionated crap.

I doubt he's got the 'right' to throw whites out of a courtroom on race grounds. If nothing else, the judicial canons restrict 'conduct unbecoming' and it's hard to see how this would not count as that.

I doubt he's got the 'right' to throw whites out of a courtroom on race grounds. If nothing else, the judicial canons restrict 'conduct unbecoming' and it's hard to see how this would not count as that.

You know, probably better than I do, that there's no such thing as an open and shut case. I reckon in this one he would walk out of any impeachment proceedings with an ear to ear grin. Heck I'm not a lawyer and I reckon I could get him off.

I would argue he didn't throw the whites out of the courtroom on race grounds (this is going to cause some brains to explode so get gloves and protective eye wear) but on the grounds that he would be better able to make his judicial point to the members of one racial community if other members of another racial community were present.

Q. "Tell me Judge Arrington, how many whites were present in your courtroom?"

A. "I didn't count, but I can tell you they amounted to 00.1% of the total population of that courtroom, um, statistics was my minor at college."

Q. "And how many members of other races were present?"

A. "Zero percent of the total population of that courtroom"

Q. "The Deputy Sheriffs who were performing bailiff duties?"

A. "Black"

Q. "And what if there were any members of any other race in the courtroom, Asian or Hispanic?"

A. "I can tell you they could have had Canadians in there and I'd have thrown them out too....I wanted to make my point to the members of the black community there and I couldn't do it effectively with members of other racial communities present, the message has a better chance of being heeded that way."

Q. "Judge Arrington, let's reverse it, if the courtroom had been populated by 99.9% whites, would you have removed the 00.1% black population?"

A. "Are you kidding? Sharpton and Jackson would have hauled my ass to....[laughing]...just kidding, just kidding! Yes I would. I wouldn't take the chance of some sort of racial disturbance occurring. Not saying it would, just saying I wouldn't take the chance."

Q. "So you would see that as preserving the dignity of your courtroom?"

A. "Well a mini race-riot would certainly disturb the decorum."

Q. "No further questions."

Aside from being smart I rather like Judge Arrington's sense of humour - and he never said "cracker" once.

A judge does NOT have the power to remove the Lawyer representing a client before the court without legal cause. He can send the Jury and spectators out any time he wants for just about any reason. He also can not order just certain races out of his court without legal cause.

The defense that we can not know what would happen to a white peson in the same situation is simply NOT true.

Do a goggle on what happened to Senator Trent Lott for simply saying something nice about a retiring Senator. Then get back to me on why Obama can have a racist mentor.

Diuretic,

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem, but it is. Whites don't like the double-standard placed on them because of things their ancestors (who aren't alive anymore) did to the blacks (enslaving). Equality is here and everyone has the same rights as everyone else (for the most part)...the problem that arises with whites is for instance...Any time a black person is murdered by a white person (most of the times their crack-heads or criminals anyway), civil rights activists (Jesse Jackson, NAACP, Quannel X) come out of the woodwork and blame the white people for putting the blacks down and killing them. Yet when a black man kills a black man, or a black man kills a white man, you don't see them at all.

You're right, their shouldn't be a problem, but it's a double-standard that exists that piss whites of, even though whites today have nothing to do with slavery or Jim Crow laws. Agreed, the Civil Rights Act was passed in the 60s, but people are different now (most of them). The fact is, if a white judge had thrown blacks out of the courtroom based on race, there would have been lawsuits filed, and all of the activists would have come out hollering discrimination and racism by the white people.

Judge admits mistake in kicking whites out of court

An Atlanta, Georgia, judge who ordered white lawyers out of his courtroom so he could lecture African-American defendants called that decision a "mistake" Tuesday night.

"In retrospect, it was a mistake," Judge Marvin Arrington told CNN. "Because my sheriff said to me, 'Judge, that message should be given to everybody' -- 'Don't violate the law, make something out of yourself, go to school, find a role model, somebody that will help you advance your life.'"

Arrington, who is African-American, is a judge in Fulton County, Georgia, which includes the city of Atlanta.

He said he got fed up seeing a parade of young black defendants shuffle into his courtroom and decided to address them one day last week -- out of the earshot of white lawyers.

"I came out and saw the defendants, and it was about 99.9 percent Afro-Americans," Arrington told CNN affiliate WSB-TV of Atlanta, "and at some point in time, I excused some lawyers -- most of them white -- and said to the young people in here, 'What in the world are you doing with your lives?'"

The judge thought his message would make a greater impact if he delivered it to a black-only audience, he said. Video Watch judge talk about decision to lecture black defendants »

"I didn't want them to think I was talking down to them; trying to embarrass them or insult them; be derogatory toward them, and I was just saying, 'Please get yourself together,'" Arrington said.

In his Tuesday night appearance on CNN, Arrington told Anderson Cooper that that seeing the same faces walk in and out of his courtroom year after year takes its toll.

"I ask them all the the time, 'What progress are we making with you?' And sometime they cannot answer," he said.

He said he would open his court doors to everyone on Thursday and "I am going to give the same identical speech: 'You've got to do better.'"

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/04/02/judge.whites.out/index.html

I still think you all are making a big deal out of nothing.

Judge admits mistake in kicking whites out of court

An Atlanta, Georgia, judge who ordered white lawyers out of his courtroom so he could lecture African-American defendants called that decision a "mistake" Tuesday night.

"In retrospect, it was a mistake," Judge Marvin Arrington told CNN. "Because my sheriff said to me, 'Judge, that message should be given to everybody' -- 'Don't violate the law, make something out of yourself, go to school, find a role model, somebody that will help you advance your life.'"

Arrington, who is African-American, is a judge in Fulton County, Georgia, which includes the city of Atlanta.

He said he got fed up seeing a parade of young black defendants shuffle into his courtroom and decided to address them one day last week -- out of the earshot of white lawyers.

"I came out and saw the defendants, and it was about 99.9 percent Afro-Americans," Arrington told CNN affiliate WSB-TV of Atlanta, "and at some point in time, I excused some lawyers -- most of them white -- and said to the young people in here, 'What in the world are you doing with your lives?'"

The judge thought his message would make a greater impact if he delivered it to a black-only audience, he said. Video Watch judge talk about decision to lecture black defendants »

"I didn't want them to think I was talking down to them; trying to embarrass them or insult them; be derogatory toward them, and I was just saying, 'Please get yourself together,'" Arrington said.

In his Tuesday night appearance on CNN, Arrington told Anderson Cooper that that seeing the same faces walk in and out of his courtroom year after year takes its toll.

"I ask them all the the time, 'What progress are we making with you?' And sometime they cannot answer," he said.

He said he would open his court doors to everyone on Thursday and "I am going to give the same identical speech: 'You've got to do better.'"

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/04/02/judge.whites.out/index.html

I still think you all are making a big deal out of nothing.

I agree, I'm just explaining to Diuretic why some people have a problem with this. I know the guy apologized and he probably did it in the heat of the moment, but I was just explaining why the double-standard ticks alot of white people off.

but thats just the thing.. if a white judge kicked all other ethnicties out of a MISSOURI courtroom so he could give a bunch of toofless, white trash, scurvy bastards a lecture on the methhead lifestyle I don't think anyone would bat an eye. Why? Because CLEARLY meth is a white issue that is specifically detrimental to a particular area and sample of the population. Why give a latino car thief from NYC a W. VA lecture about statutory rape?

but thats just the thing.. if a white judge kicked all other ethnicties out of a MISSOURI courtroom so he could give a bunch of toofless, white trash, scurvy bastards a lecture on the methhead lifestyle I don't think anyone would bat an eye. Why? Because CLEARLY meth is a white issue that is specifically detrimental to a particular area and sample of the population. Why give a latino car thief from NYC a W. VA lecture about statutory rape?

I agree, but it's the double-standard that pisses whites off.:cool:

for the wrong reasons.

I'd suggest that we stop being petty since this sure is no emmet till indication of a contrived stratagy against white people. This is like a pair of siblings crying about who got more ice cream on their two scoop cone.

Forum List

Back