Baptism for the dead

You're offended that we create the will call ticket that allows anyone, once they are dead, to accept or reject baptism. It amazes me that you put so much stock in what another religion does that you don't even believe in. Nobody raped anyone. Nobody is forcing you or your dead ancestor to accept the baptism. How could this be trampling on another's belief? If there is choice in the matter for the dead then nobody is trampling on his or her beliefs. We are simply performing a saving ordinance in their behalf so that should they desire to receive it, they have the choice to do so. We hold to the right to practice our religion every bit as much as you hold to your own. You judge me by the actions of another. I wasn't there and I didn't hear what your words or your good friends words were with one another. Take it up with her and leave me out of it. My interactions with you are simply to point out that baptism is required by the Lord to enter the kingdom of God and that we believe that all mankind are our brothers and sisters, i.e. children of God, and are in need of it. We do not believe that a person is condemned for not receiving baptism in this life when they never had the opportunity to receive it. We believe that God is a just and loving God and if he requires baptism that he will provide a means whereby every one of his children will have the opportunity to accept or reject it. For this reason was the gospel preached to the dead.

Would you be okay with someone inducting you posthumously into the KKK? How about casting a vote in your name after you are dead? And, how very patronizing of you to think that I am offended.

I am telling you of the distress and the stench LDS proxy baptism causes throughout the land. In 1995, people of the Jewish faith got this point across--and the LDS Church agreed to stop with these proxy baptism of a people who have no wish for this ordinance. My belief/experience is that this ordinance is absolutely worthless in the afterlife, and causes great distress in this one because of the contempt it shows other beliefs. The LDS Church has been asked to stop by numerous holy people, yet it blunders on.

Asking you to stop is not being "offended." I'll bet you delight in this imagined offense, putting others in the wrong and the LDS Church on a self-righteous pedestal. Here is the real deal. I, too, believe that it is possible to help souls in purgatory, and that this is done by prayer. A true caring of a soul in purgatory is prayer for that soul, not a proxy baptism for that soul. Revelation tells of a river that flows in the New Jerusalem, the Jerusalem that is of heaven.

The fact is, as someone who consistently prays for those who have passed on, I am happy (not offended) when people of any faith show care for souls that have passed on. However, there are plenty of ways to help these souls without offending the living--and being a light rather than a stench.

I believe Joseph Smith was a con man, and the Book of Mormon a poorly written work of fiction by a 14-year-old boy. However, I believe the LDS Church, through their faith in Jesus, has been rescued by him and has received the Holy Spirit from Christ, through Christ--and not Smith. It may or may not help--but I actually have more respect for your church than the many who have left the LDS faith. Still, that proxy baptism goes beyond the pale. It needs to stop.

Meriweather, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. Have a happy Thanksgiving! and may God bless you.

Meriweather, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. Have a happy Thanksgiving! and may God bless you.
One of my many quirks is that I never "agree to disagree." Poor grammar. I simply disagree. :D

I do wish you a happy Thanksgiving. May God's face shine upon you.

This thread is a baptism idea for the brain dead, as well as the heart dead.
Get a life!
:)

I personally would not find it offensive if any other religion performed religious ordinances on my dead ancestors or anyone for that matter. If I didn't believe that their religion was true, then it would make no difference to me. If it were the true religion then I should welcome it. So I don't quite understand why anyone would be offended and get all bent out of shape over how we practice this in our religion. The practice of baptism for the dead is to fulfill the ordinance for those who did not have the chance to receive it while here on this earth. As mention in my first post, the gospel is preached to those who are dead and they still have the opportunity to accept it or reject it. If they reject the gospel, then the baptism for the dead will avail them nothing. It would be as if no baptism was performed for them because God honors free will and will not force anyone into heaven. If they accept the gospel, then that person may enter the kingdom of God and have baptism for them done in their behalf. It is the turning of our hearts to the fathers.

What is offensive is that the LDS Church puts their own lack of faith in the power of God and His graces second to the power of their "ordinance." It dismisses the faith of others as unworthy. It dismisses the pain and grief this causes others because that pain and grief doesn't matter if it makes someone professing the LDS faith feel good and superior.

Prayers are welcome. Your ordinances are not. Those are not only offensive, but highly and repugnantly offensive. I pray your church will stop doing this. I'm happy to hear you welcome this prayer on your behalf.
oh brother. Whadda ripped view.

Forum List

Back