Average teacher pay...is not what you think it is...it is a lot more......

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
We have schools in democrat party controlled cities where students can't do math, read english or write.......and they blame everyone but the teachers unions and teachers....

According to Just Facts, in the 2020–21 school year, the average school teacher in the U.S. made $65,090 in salary, and received another $33,048 in benefits (such as health insurance, paid leave, and pensions) for $98,138 in total compensation.

Also, importantly, full-time public school teachers work an average of 1,490 hours per year, including time spent on lesson preparation, test construction, and grading, providing extra help to students, coaching, and other activities, while their counterparts in private industry work an average of 2,045 hours per year, or about 37 percent more than public school teachers.

All in all, with various perks included, a teacher makes on average $68.85 an hour, whereas a private sector worker makes about $36 per hour.

In the same vein, an earlier study by researchers Andrew Biggs and Jason Richwine showed that when healthcare and pension packages are included, teachers are paid more than other workers.

I wouldn't be surprised if their pay has anything to do with how much more of a problem the students can be now. Long gone are the days of students getting detentions and suspensions. Teachers and the other adults at school now have to worry about being shot at.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

We have schools in democrat party controlled cities where students can't do math, read english or write.......and they blame everyone but the teachers unions and teachers....

According to Just Facts, in the 2020–21 school year, the average school teacher in the U.S. made $65,090 in salary, and received another $33,048 in benefits (such as health insurance, paid leave, and pensions) for $98,138 in total compensation.

Also, importantly, full-time public school teachers work an average of 1,490 hours per year, including time spent on lesson preparation, test construction, and grading, providing extra help to students, coaching, and other activities, while their counterparts in private industry work an average of 2,045 hours per year, or about 37 percent more than public school teachers.

All in all, with various perks included, a teacher makes on average $68.85 an hour, whereas a private sector worker makes about $36 per hour.

In the same vein, an earlier study by researchers Andrew Biggs and Jason Richwine showed that when healthcare and pension packages are included, teachers are paid more than other workers.

That thing is way off.

1490 hours that they work per year is wrong.

There are 180 days in a school year that are 8 hours long, from 7 to 3. 1490/8 is 186. So you are going to tell me that in 180 school days the teachers only spend 48 hours grading homework, making tests, grading papers, etc?

As the brother of a teacher, I can tell you that teachers spend 3-4 hours PER DAY doing work outside of their day at school. So in that 180 days of school, they actually work over 2000 hours, just like anyone else. Not to mention, all those tests they give on Friday have to be graded over the weekend and lesson plans for the next week have to be made over the weekend so they don't get weekends off like everyone else.

They do THEORETICALLY get 3 months off for summer, but really they don't. They have to stay at the school well into June to finalize everything, and then when school starts, they have to be at school weeks before the kids to get the room ready, etc.

They do THEORETICALLY get 3 months off for summer, but really they don't.
In my State, Varies from school to school by a day or two, but school gets out June 21st.
Back to school, before the kids, In late August.

so 9-10 weeks at the most.

As the brother of a teacher, I can tell you that teachers spend 3-4 hours PER DAY doing work outside of their day at school.
This is true for the Core Subjects, but NOT for PE.
A lot of PE teacher coach, but that is an extra stipend.

How long have you been a teacher?

Private school teachers also work weeks before and after the school year. Their compensation is what the market bears.

When public school teachers make anything beyond what the market bears, they just plunder the public treasury.

Private school teachers also work weeks before and after the school year. Their compensation is what the market bears.

When public school teachers make anything beyond what the market bears, they just plunder the public treasury.
Hilarious. Most humorous quote of the year. Well done I've laughed incessantly at this one.

You missed one key point from your link: adjusted for cost of living. In other words, not a single teacher likely makes that amount.

Comparing it to your average worker is also intellectually dishonest because your average worker doesn't have a college or advanced degree.

The hours worked is also dishonest. When I was teaching, I never worked less than 12 hours a day.

It also does not cover unpaid required training, mandatory conferences after hours, and many other days and hours for which teachers receive zero compensation.

No honesty at all in your link. It is a hit piece.

We may have found the illusive "bridge too far" for the conservatives on this board when the OP brings this sort of crapolla. Nice job folks.

You missed one key point from your link: adjusted for cost of living. In other words, not a single teacher likely makes that amount.

Comparing it to your average worker is also intellectually dishonest because your average worker doesn't have a college or advanced degree.

The hours worked is also dishonest. When I was teaching, I never worked less than 12 hours a day.

It also does not cover unpaid required training, mandatory conferences after hours, and many other days and hours for which teachers receive zero compensation.

No honesty at all in your link. It is a hit piece.
12 hours a day MY ASS.

If we believe teachers we have to believe they work 100 hour a week all year long but they never seem to count all the time off they get

Oh I know it is! I actually Googled the incomes of some of my son's teachers and some were in the 6 figures! Plenty of nice German cars in that teacher's parking lot too. So much for the "Wah! Wah! Wah!" The teachers unions help teachers live like pampered corporate types.

Well then, let's see what the market will bear, shall we?

If this is such a great job, an easy job with great perks and great pay, why is there a teacher shortage?

12 hours a day MY ASS.

If we believe teachers we have to believe they work 100 hour a week all year long but they never seem to count all the time off they get

Again this is very simple.

If the time off is such an easy perk, if the pay is so generous for the work done, the line up to get these jobs would be around the block.

But just the opposite is true, to the point where we can't get young people to even go into education. We have teachers leaving their classrooms in the middle of the day, never to return.

Huh. Puzzle that out.

Again this is very simple.

If the time off is such an easy perk, if the pay is so generous for the work done, the line up to get these jobs would be around the block.

But just the opposite is true, to the point where we can't get young people to even go into education. We have teachers leaving their classrooms in the middle of the day, never to return.

Huh. Puzzle that out.
Because some people don't like babysitting other peoples' kids all day or dealing with parents who think their little angels can do no wrong.

Forum List

Back