100-mile US glide bombs fail in Ukraine

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Much-vaunted US-supplied glide bombs given to Ukraine “didn’t work” due to a combination of mud and Russian signal jamming, the Pentagon has admitted.

The long-range weapons, which were not officially named but have been identified online as Boeing’s Ground Launched Small Diameter Bombs (GLSDB), were sent to Ukraine to help them hit targets at twice the distance reachable by current rockets.

The delivery of the adapted bombs to Ukraine in late January was met with widespread enthusiasm, with military experts suggesting it could force Russia to relocate supplies farther from the front lines.

But William LaPlante, the Pentagon’s weapon’s acquisition chief, said: “We sent it to the Ukrainians. It didn’t work. It didn’t work for multiple reasons including EMI [Electromagnetic interference] environment, just really, dirt, and doing it on ground.”

“When you send something to people in the fight of their lives that doesn’t work, they’ll try it three times and then just throw it aside,” he added at an event at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies.

A precision-guided bomb with a 100-mile range, the GLSDB attaches to an M26 rocket and is cheaper than the current limited number of Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) rockets the US has sent.

I sure the Uke-Bros would say "fails" is the wrong word and "less accurate" would be a better way of putting it.

The bottom line is this.....If it's not hitting its target it's failing. This is not a weapon where the target is a whole district.

I bet Boeing is pissed that another of their products is a failure....I'm sure they were counting on a big cut of that 65 billion.

Much-vaunted US-supplied glide bombs given to Ukraine “didn’t work” due to a combination of mud and Russian signal jamming, the Pentagon has admitted.

The long-range weapons, which were not officially named but have been identified online as Boeing’s Ground Launched Small Diameter Bombs (GLSDB), were sent to Ukraine to help them hit targets at twice the distance reachable by current rockets.

The delivery of the adapted bombs to Ukraine in late January was met with widespread enthusiasm, with military experts suggesting it could force Russia to relocate supplies farther from the front lines.

But William LaPlante, the Pentagon’s weapon’s acquisition chief, said: “We sent it to the Ukrainians. It didn’t work. It didn’t work for multiple reasons including EMI [Electromagnetic interference] environment, just really, dirt, and doing it on ground.”

“When you send something to people in the fight of their lives that doesn’t work, they’ll try it three times and then just throw it aside,” he added at an event at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies.

A precision-guided bomb with a 100-mile range, the GLSDB attaches to an M26 rocket and is cheaper than the current limited number of Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) rockets the US has sent.

I sure the Uke-Bros would say "fails" is the wrong word and "less accurate" would be a better way of putting it.

The bottom line is this.....If it's not hitting its target it's failing. This is not a weapon where the target is a whole district.

I bet Boeing is pissed that another of their products is a failure....I'm sure they were counting on a big cut of that 65 billion.

The Biden administration is running that war like a lemonade stand. Remember those M1 Abrams tanks we gave the Ukes? The Russians are finding out their weaknesses and how they can be destroyed.

All we're doing in Ukraine is giving Russia good opportunities for advances in their armament and tactics, and the Chinese are gaining valuable data on how to defeat us.

Russia has found the critical vulnerability in Nato’s American tanks

F1AqkREXsAMPQSl.jpg

Forum List

Back