Derailment, Springfield, Oh.

I told y'all that in the last 10 years Norfolk Southern cut it's workforce by 40% and shareholder values increased by 1,000% in that time frame!!

This was predictable and is no way to run a railroad.
Criminal charges should be forthcoming. Hell, the populace is rioting in Greece over one crash/derailment!!

ohito-ohio.gif

~s~

Well welcome to the wild world of railroading. Nearly 1,700 derailments happen each year, no matter who's transportation secretary or president.
Does that include passenger rail? How many are caused by track obstruction or other reasons outside the rail company's control? Numbers without explanation are pretty meaningless.

In 2009, Buffett completed the buying of the company. He bought the rest of BNSF for $34 billion, or roughly $100 a share. The buy gave him an extra 77.4% stake in BNSF, or 100% control.
How does BNSF describe its safety record?
As a leader in railroad safety, we recognize that a safe and secure railroad network is important to our stakeholders and essential to our nation’s future. The accident rate for U.S. railroads is significantly lower than that for the trucking industry and are some of the lowest in the transportation industry overall.
Notice how they're so concerned with safety their website isn't even secure, LOL. Here's a nice list in dire need of updating..

Does that include passenger rail? How many are caused by track obstruction or other reasons outside the rail company's control? Numbers without explanation are pretty meaningless.

Usually it's vehicles crossing the tracks when they shouldn't, but other times, it's the rail itself. Maintenance Of Way (MOW - In charge of railroad upkeep including tracks, signals, ballast, storm damage clearing, crossing maintenance, etc) has thousands and thousands of miles of upkeep to do, and sometimes problems just slip through the cracks. Bad weather can cause a faulty rail to expand and shrink until it eventually fractures, causing a derailment. I have personally called MOW when I have spotted a faulty rail, and they usually come by pretty quick, but it's a problem that the inspection crews didn't notice the issue prior to my finding of the issue.

Loose ballast, for example, after a flood, can distribute weight unevenly and a train weighing hundreds or thousands of tons can easily just tip over. Sometimes a railcar such as a boxcar can have an issue that wasn't caught during inspection, and could cause issues. New high tech "safety" systems also fail. Operator failure is also another issue, such as going too fast for the tracks, failure to brake the train at the appointed spots, ignoring or failing to notice signals indicating a slow down or stop up ahead. Dispatch can also screw up, thinking a section of track ahead is clear, when it actually isn't. A freight train has so much involved, anything can go wrong at any time.

Passenger train derailments are rare though, and are usually operator faults.

Forum List

Back