Athiests Lie, The Bible Tells the Truth

Wanna play dumb now? Okay, since what Joe just quoted you asserting what appears to be your first post in this topic, let's start there. No doubt - even Joe would at least suspect - the length of a cubit to vary through history. But "widely"? Ostensibly you entered this topic simply to inject ("assert") that adverb. Why? Want to love your fellow man? Scientifically explain how adding "widely" to "varied" helps him or her in this instance? What is your purpose here? Why do you patronizingly presume Joe thinks a cubit is 21 inches in length? What provoked you to claim ("assert") "twenty-one inches" to be "the standard" in the first place? What difference does the actual historical variance in the length of a cubic actually make to the point you thought Joe was trying to make? In other words, why should he pay the slightest bit of attention to your assertions of what he should keep in mind?

First was the claim that Goliath was nine feet nine inches (which is the measurement for the 21" cubit times six.). Where do we get 21 inches? Modern times. If you want to believe the measurement for Goliath is 9'9" so you can claim a man cannot be that tall, isn't that a little silly? Especially when you refuse to believe he probably wasn't that tall? Do you even know the real story of Goliath? After he was King, one of David's foot soldiers killed Goliath. The story was then revised so that David killed Goliath as a boy... And you want to argue about Golaith's true height.

Apparently pointing out that that biblical Goliath was likely impossible or gross exaggeration at best was important to Joe. I've just been analyzing that hypothesis here further.
It is important to Joe only for the express purpose of confirming his bias.

Wanna play dumb now? Okay, since what Joe just quoted you asserting what appears to be your first post in this topic, let's start there. No doubt - even Joe would at least suspect - the length of a cubit to vary through history. But "widely"? Ostensibly you entered this topic simply to inject ("assert") that adverb. Why? Want to love your fellow man? Scientifically explain how adding "widely" to "varied" helps him or her in this instance? What is your purpose here? Why do you patronizingly presume Joe thinks a cubit is 21 inches in length? What provoked you to claim ("assert") "twenty-one inches" to be "the standard" in the first place? What difference does the actual historical variance in the length of a cubic actually make to the point you thought Joe was trying to make? In other words, why should he pay the slightest bit of attention to your assertions of what he should keep in mind?

First was the claim that Goliath was nine feet nine inches (which is the measurement for the 21" cubit times six.). Where do we get 21 inches? Modern times. If you want to believe the measurement for Goliath is 9'9" so you can claim a man cannot be that tall, isn't that a little silly? Especially when you refuse to believe he probably wasn't that tall? Do you even know the real story of Goliath? After he was King, one of David's foot soldiers killed Goliath. The story was then revised so that David killed Goliath as a boy... And you want to argue about Golaith's true height.
I didn't know that. I learn something new every day.

I don't need to worry about things because I understand that I control my own destiny and plan accordingly. I understand the importance of an internal locus of control and not normalizing deviance to standards.
So you worry about (concern yourself with) controlling and planning your own destiny, and "an internal locus of control and not normalizing deviance to standards."
Planning is not worrying, neither is controlling, GB.

Having an internal locus of control is how one controls his destiny.

Not normalizing deviance to standards is how one prevents predictable surprises that creates worry.

It seems to me that you are looking for reasons to not believe that David defeated an enemy in battle and that the Jews went on to victory because you can't verify the exact height of his opponent.
His "exact height" has never been brought up except by you, FAICT. Now slap yourself silly.
Only in the context that that is what YOU have been arguing about for two pages, GN.

Are you denying that that is not what you have been arguing about? Goliath's height?

I don't care how tall he was, I understand the point of the account was that he was a really big dude that got defeated by David and then the Jews went on to victory.

I have literally been arguing that Goliath's height wasn't relevant. So for you to argue that I am arguing about his exact height doesn't make any sense at all and I know how important making sense to you.
You continue arguing about his "exact height." Your words. No one else's.
No. You are accusing me of what you have been doing. His height is unimportant. I already explained that to you.
So it wasn't you who brought up his "exact height" to begin with, accusing others of doing what you actually did? Hmm, interesting projection there..

It seems to me that you are looking for reasons to not believe that David defeated an enemy in battle and that the Jews went on to victory because you can't verify the exact height of his opponent.
His "exact height" has never been brought up except by you, FAICT. Now slap yourself silly.
Only in the context that that is what YOU have been arguing about for two pages, GN.

Are you denying that that is not what you have been arguing about? Goliath's height?

I don't care how tall he was, I understand the point of the account was that he was a really big dude that got defeated by David and then the Jews went on to victory.

I have literally been arguing that Goliath's height wasn't relevant. So for you to argue that I am arguing about his exact height doesn't make any sense at all and I know how important making sense to you.
No. You are accusing me of what you have been doing. His height is unimportant. I already explained that to you.
So it wasn't you who brought up his "exact height" to begin with, accusing others of doing what you actually did? Hmm, interesting projection there..
That's right, you were the one who was arguing about his height. I pointed out that you are really arguing about his exact height. That is not the same thing as me arguing about his exact height, that is me arguing that his height - exact or otherwise - is meaningless.

Now do you understand?

A cubit is the length from the tip of the middle finger to the elbow.

If people were very small the cubit would have been shorter and so would any giant.

There is also the point that fractions were often discarded. For example, if the "cubit" used was 18" and Goliath was over five cubits, we suddenly have 21" x 6 equaling 9'9". Or, if it were an 18" cubit where he was slightly over five cubits (which was then counted as six) we have a man who may have been about 7'6". However, the point of the story is not how tall Goliath was by today's measurements. The point is that Goliath towered in size and weight over his opponent.

I don't need to worry about things because I understand that I control my own destiny and plan accordingly. I understand the importance of an internal locus of control and not normalizing deviance to standards.
So you worry about (concern yourself with) controlling and planning your own destiny, and "an internal locus of control and not normalizing deviance to standards."

Not normalizing deviance to standards is how one prevents predictable surprises that creates worry.
Yet one can concern themself with any of it and call such concern "worrying about":

That's right, you were the one who was arguing about his height. I pointed out that you are really arguing about his exact height. That is not the same thing as me arguing about his exact height, that is me arguing that his height - exact or otherwise - is meaningless.

Now do you understand?
Ah, you made me laugh so hard there... phew.. Thanks!

Scholars looking into the life of King David have found some interesting things. While in power, he was not a widely popular King--opinion was widely and wildly divided with some telling stories supporting David, while others were throwing mud every chance they got. It is fair that David, as King, won victory that day. But the boy (young man) who made the killing shot was not David. Supporters of David made sure the King got credit.

Woman should be forced to marry their rapists and never be allowed to divorce.
Do all Christians think that's a GREAT Idea?

In today's culture? Of course not. Now let's go back to the culture of the time. In those days, a raped woman became unmarriageable, and it was thought marriage to the rapist a better fate than no marriage (and no children) at all. What say you? Would the woman--in those days--be better off isolated from ever having a family? Or would a chance at a family been the better option?

By the way, the rapist also had to pay the woman's family five years wages for the rape.

Woman should be forced to marry their rapists and never be allowed to divorce.
Do all Christians think that's a GREAT Idea?

In today's culture? Of course not. Now let's go back to the culture of the time. In those days, a raped woman became unmarriageable, and it was thought marriage to the rapist a better fate than no marriage (and no children) at all. What say you? Would the woman--in those days--be better off isolated from ever having a family? Or would a chance at a family been the better option?

By the way, the rapist also had to pay the woman's family five years wages for the rape.
you clearly do not understand the 1st century ...

Try hopelessly gullible, simply taking some internet stranger's word for it, fact checking nothing for yourself, and apparently all simply because they share your "bias."
Whatever floats your dinghy, ding, ding-a-ling..

I already gave you one that you failed to rebut, though you tried.
Here is another:
Ge 22:1 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

Jas 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
You aren’t GT.
Thank you for admitting you can't rebut this contradiction either.
I couldn’t be happier for you to see it that way. It seems important to you.
Lying suits you. Praise God!
Seriously, I am. I believe everyone should be able to experience their predictable surprises.
Yours is coming!

Yet one can concern themself with any of it and call such concern "worrying about":
I believe you are projecting.

Now do you understand?
Ah, you made me laugh so hard there... phew.. Thanks!
I'm happy I could entertain you. Good nature laughter serves an important purpose. Bad nature laughter, not so much. Choose wisely.

Try hopelessly gullible, simply taking some internet stranger's word for it, fact checking nothing for yourself, and apparently all simply because they share your "bias."
Whatever floats your dinghy, ding, ding-a-ling..

It seems I have upset you.

You aren’t GT.
Seriously, I am. I believe everyone should be able to experience their predictable surprises.
Yours is coming!
We shall see.

Yours is coming!
We shall see.
You will!

Forum List

Back