Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

You are a stalker.

Still can't come up with all of those refutations to my statement that any conclusion made in the absence of evidence is a belief, can you? All of those refutations you claim were made and you can't point to a single one. So let's call me names instead. Is that what we are calling rational thought now?
The refutations to your silly statements have been made throughout this thread. Denial on your part is your own waking nightmare to deal with.

No. The refutations, which you can't produce, are in your head. It is easy enough to prove me wrong, but you won't do it. You will just continue to make the claim and never produce a shred of evidence to back it up. This is because there are no refutations. I kept asking people if they disagreed and the only person who ever actually responded was Sealy, and he did not refute it.

If you want to make the claim that your position is based upon rational examination of the facts, the standards you need to meet are not lower than those who just claim belief, they are higher. But you seem to think all you need to do is claim something and the rest of us are supposed to just accept it. You are dreaming. You are, in fact, just another believer who thinks that is the same thing as knowing.
I'm afraid that you're simply cutting and pasting the same tired arguments which have already been refuted any number of times in this thread.

Repeating your falsehoods won't change their status as falsehoods.

As I said, it would be easy to prove me wrong if I was wrong. But you won't do it. And you won't admit you won't do it. You'll just keep repeating the same unsupported claims.

"As I said". Actually, there are too many instances to count where you've written that after your last "As I said" wherein your mantra has been addressed and refuted.

You have already been proven wrong. There are now 122 pages in this thread and you're still unwilling to address the repeated times your silly claims have been addressed and refuted.

Still can't come up with all of those refutations to my statement that any conclusion made in the absence of evidence is a belief, can you? All of those refutations you claim were made and you can't point to a single one. So let's call me names instead. Is that what we are calling rational thought now?
The refutations to your silly statements have been made throughout this thread. Denial on your part is your own waking nightmare to deal with.

No. The refutations, which you can't produce, are in your head. It is easy enough to prove me wrong, but you won't do it. You will just continue to make the claim and never produce a shred of evidence to back it up. This is because there are no refutations. I kept asking people if they disagreed and the only person who ever actually responded was Sealy, and he did not refute it.

If you want to make the claim that your position is based upon rational examination of the facts, the standards you need to meet are not lower than those who just claim belief, they are higher. But you seem to think all you need to do is claim something and the rest of us are supposed to just accept it. You are dreaming. You are, in fact, just another believer who thinks that is the same thing as knowing.
I'm afraid that you're simply cutting and pasting the same tired arguments which have already been refuted any number of times in this thread.

As I said, it would be easy to prove me wrong if I was wrong. But you won't do it. And you won't admit you won't do it. You'll just keep repeating the same unsupported claims.

"As I said". Actually, there are too many instances to count where you've written that after your last "As I said" wherein your mantra has been addressed and refuted.

You have already been proven wrong. There are now 122 pages in this thread and you're still unwilling to address the repeated times your silly claims have been addressed and refuted.

Bullshit. But you have a nice day.

Don't go away mad....

Just ask the same questions for which you already have answers.

The thread is only 123 pages. Ask away.

Don't go away mad....

Just ask the same questions for which you already have answers.

The thread is only 123 pages. Ask away.

I'm not mad, Hollie. It's just that sometimes a single word is enough to describe an argument. Seriously, you have a nice day.

How is it different? As different as straight and gay marriage.

Actually more different. Polar opposites. If anything it is anti evalelizing. Just as different as atheist and theist are, so is what we're doing compared to you.

And I would love nothing more to learn how to wake more people up. For now, I have to let it happen naturally and gradually over time. First it was the North East part of the country, now it's the NE and NW parts of the country. The last will be the bible belt hold outs. But even them one day their kids are going to evolve into smarter more progressive people one would assume. But then again, if it takes a red neck 1000 years to evolve, it'll take the Muslims 5000. We're in for a long enlightenment period where humans no longer cling to irrational thoughts passed on to them from their stupid ancestors who were fooled into believing a lie because they were DUMB!

I see. You are doing exactly the same thing but it is entirely different.

Now you are getting it. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. If I was running around telling everyone a fairy was up my butt and it is telling me to tell people about him and you saw I was winning people over and eventually our society started passing public policies based on what this fairy tells me and we have even gone to war over what this fairy tells me, you going around trying to wake people up from whatever brainwashing I've done to them is not the same thing as what I'm doing.

Oh, I got it before. Do not confuse disagreement with misunderstanding. You think that because you believe something that makes it true and superior to what others believe. I'm sure you felt exactly the same way when you were a Christian. So yes, I got it. You are still wrong.

If the definition of Atheism you, Hollie and Carla have put forward is accurate, then not one of you is an Atheist. In fact, probably the closest thing to an Atheist here, by that definition, is me - and I am a Theist. You don't see it because you consider the definition itself to be the important thing, which is the case with dogma. You can't resolve the conflict it creates, so you just pretend it isn't there.

No actually one of the biggest problems I had with the Christian story is all non believers wouldn't go to heaven. I could not imagine every Chinese and Russian and Muslim burning in hell.

Your Christian religion is the reason Joseph Smith was able to convert so many people away from your traditional "corrupt" churches and go join his cult. Same thing I'm saying about your religion is the same thing God told Joseph Smith about it. Why mad at me?

As for your comments, please explain to me what I'm missing. How are you the closest thing to an atheist? Explain what you mean please. How come the definition isn't important? You've peaked my interest.

I'm not a Christian. Unlike you, I have never been a Christian. I have told you this many times.

I am the closest thing to an Atheist under the definition that an Atheist is one who lacks beliefs in gods because I really don't give a damn whether or not there is a God. I fully admit that there is zero evidence to support either side of the issue, so the chances of either being correct is the same - 50/50. The only way one can actually lack beliefs in gods is if one is entirely neutral on the subject, because any position other than neutrality is a belief.

The definition is not important because what you are is what you are, not what you say you are. I can define myself as anything I like, but that does not make me that thing. I can define Buddhism as the attainment of spiritual perfection, but that does not mean by calling myself a Buddhist that I have attained spiritual perfection.

If you lack beliefs in gods, it is only true if you actually lack beliefs in gods. If your only support to that claim is because you define yourself as lacking beliefs, then it is a worthless claim. If while you are defining yourself as such you continue to make claims which are beliefs, then the claim is false. It is not the definition which makes you what you are.

Is that your dogma?

I already explained why it was wrong and no one here refuted it. See post #2179

That wasn't a joke?

You feel you are being spoon fed definitions so what do you do? You add another definition.
Every activity a person does can be interesting to them, including stamp collecting, watching TV, eating, screwing, coluring in stencils...etc Are you suggesting these all be classified as religions. If you or anyone else says yes then I cannot help your lack of reasoning.

RFOLMAO.

OK, that is out of my system, for now.

This is the definition you insist is wrong.

A pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.​

Funny how you ignore the words supreme importance in your response, isn't it?

In other words, the only thing you refuted is your claim that you refuted anything.

So, one again, why are atheist that say their religion is atheism wrong? Have you even considered the possibility that you might be the one that is wrong?

As for writing a letter to Webster, they only accept business or advertising letters or someone wishing to add a new word.

And you know this because...

Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color
do most bald people deny the existence of hair?.....

Only when you discuss their hairdo.

Religion definition 4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Let's say you have 100% certainty that dark matter exists,because your textbook says so, but like myself you have a pedestrian understanding of physics. Your faith is unshakeable. You acquiesce to a scientific authority (a high priesthood), and agree with scientific consensus (orthodoxy), on a theory that is largely based on speculation. Isn't that a form of religion?

Can't we include politics, tradition, rituals, opinions about sex, family life and dietary practices, holding things and places as sacred, a sense of patriotism, etc. ... could not all of these things be regarded as part of a religion, regardless of whether or not we believe in a god?

Can't an atheist also be a fundamentalist on a range of issues?

Buddhism is an agnostic religion, compatible with atheism. Those who disagree will call Buddhism a philosophy, but it's all just semantics.

The only thing that is not semantics is the unequivocal dangers of Ebola and Global Warmaggeddeon!

Assessing Hysteria?

If we take a look at the more sentimental or radical or fundamental sides of Islam, we find over-zealous fervor towards political upheaval, and if we take a look at the more dramatic of over-imaginative sides of Christianity, we find strange and eerie imagery of sinful women riding on malicious beasts and dragons.

Atheists often claim that their philosophy can be construed as a religion, since it offers more moderate and hence 'balanced' attitudes towards eternity, emotion, and evil. However, challenging established religion does not necessarily establish the critic as a religion scholar or 'priest.'

Maybe Atheism, like Nihilism and Primalism, offers the thinker a clearer way to regularly conceptualize 'generalized hysteria.'

:afro:

The Ninth Gate - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

dr-strange.jpg

I see. You are doing exactly the same thing but it is entirely different.

Now you are getting it. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. If I was running around telling everyone a fairy was up my butt and it is telling me to tell people about him and you saw I was winning people over and eventually our society started passing public policies based on what this fairy tells me and we have even gone to war over what this fairy tells me, you going around trying to wake people up from whatever brainwashing I've done to them is not the same thing as what I'm doing.

Oh, I got it before. Do not confuse disagreement with misunderstanding. You think that because you believe something that makes it true and superior to what others believe. I'm sure you felt exactly the same way when you were a Christian. So yes, I got it. You are still wrong.

If the definition of Atheism you, Hollie and Carla have put forward is accurate, then not one of you is an Atheist. In fact, probably the closest thing to an Atheist here, by that definition, is me - and I am a Theist. You don't see it because you consider the definition itself to be the important thing, which is the case with dogma. You can't resolve the conflict it creates, so you just pretend it isn't there.

No actually one of the biggest problems I had with the Christian story is all non believers wouldn't go to heaven. I could not imagine every Chinese and Russian and Muslim burning in hell.

Your Christian religion is the reason Joseph Smith was able to convert so many people away from your traditional "corrupt" churches and go join his cult. Same thing I'm saying about your religion is the same thing God told Joseph Smith about it. Why mad at me?

As for your comments, please explain to me what I'm missing. How are you the closest thing to an atheist? Explain what you mean please. How come the definition isn't important? You've peaked my interest.

I'm not a Christian. Unlike you, I have never been a Christian. I have told you this many times.

I am the closest thing to an Atheist under the definition that an Atheist is one who lacks beliefs in gods because I really don't give a damn whether or not there is a God. I fully admit that there is zero evidence to support either side of the issue, so the chances of either being correct is the same - 50/50. The only way one can actually lack beliefs in gods is if one is entirely neutral on the subject, because any position other than neutrality is a belief.

The definition is not important because what you are is what you are, not what you say you are. I can define myself as anything I like, but that does not make me that thing. I can define Buddhism as the attainment of spiritual perfection, but that does not mean by calling myself a Buddhist that I have attained spiritual perfection.

If you lack beliefs in gods, it is only true if you actually lack beliefs in gods. If your only support to that claim is because you define yourself as lacking beliefs, then it is a worthless claim. If while you are defining yourself as such you continue to make claims which are beliefs, then the claim is false. It is not the definition which makes you what you are.

Is that your dogma?

Which part of that do you disagree with and why? Be specific.

That wasn't a joke?

You feel you are being spoon fed definitions so what do you do? You add another definition.
Every activity a person does can be interesting to them, including stamp collecting, watching TV, eating, screwing, coluring in stencils...etc Are you suggesting these all be classified as religions. If you or anyone else says yes then I cannot help your lack of reasoning.

RFOLMAO.

In other words, the only thing you refuted is your claim that you refuted anything.

So, one again, why are atheist that say their religion is atheism wrong? Have you even considered the possibility that you might be the one that is wrong?

As for writing a letter to Webster, they only accept business or advertising letters or someone wishing to add a new word.

Only when you discuss their hairdo.
preach it, Sister Carla, preach it!......

why there is no reason to waste your time going to that silly web site......there are no proofs there.....there is no evidence there......there isn't even logic there......nothing but boldfaced statements similar to the drivel you post here every day......nothing at all to back them up......

I mean look at it.....
"There is no evidence to support any of the claims made in the Bible concerning the existence of a god."......this is your proof there is no God?.......I can say exactly the same thing about the claim there is no God.......oh, gosh, which one of us wins?.....

As long as you realize "There is no evidence to support any of the claims made in the Bible concerning the existence of a god."

Smith defines implicit atheism as "the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it". "Absence of theistic belief" encompasses all forms of non-belief in deities. This would categorize as implicit atheists those adults who have never heard of the concept of deities, and those adults who have not given the idea any real consideration. Also included are agnostics who assert they do not believe in any deities (even if they claim not to be atheists)

vs me:

Smith observes that some motivations for explicit atheism are rational and some not. Of the rational motivations, he says:

The most significant variety of atheism is explicit atheism of a philosophical nature. This atheism contends that the belief in god is irrational and should therefore be rejected. Since this version of explicit atheism rests on a criticism of theistic beliefs, it is best described as critical atheism.

If by irrational it is meant the belief is based upon no evidence of any kind, I would agree. However, if a belief based upon no evidence of any kind is irrational, then that term must be applied to all such beliefs - which would includes Atheism.

This really has nothing to do with philosophy, it is a realistic examination of facts. If you want to look at a specific deity, or a specific attribute of a deity, sound arguments can be made about it. I think we can establish through hard evidence the sun is not Apollo riding his chariot across the sky. I think we can establish lightning is not Zeus throwing stuff around in a snit. But in terms of generality, the amount of information available to support either side is equal - zero. Whether one says there is or there is not, either position is equally irrational.

Consider a foot race and you are going to bet on the outcome. There are two racers, called racer a and racer b. Who the actual racers will be will be determined by drawing their name, at random, from a container with the name of every living human being on the planet. Who do you think will win, a or b? There is no way to judge that, so it is a 50/50 proposition. And in this situation, you at least have some information - which is more than you have regarding the existence of God. Yet you think you can come to a rational conclusion about the existence of God? The notion is absurd.

Lots of evidence. Why there is no god

ev·i·dence

1.the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

Yes. I have told you before I read your web site. I've also told you I'm not a Christian. There is no evidence presented in that site to show there is no God. Only arguments against the proposition that there is, and specifically a Christian God. Since there is no evidence that there is a God, that is not particularly difficult. You need to find a new set of bible tracts to hand out.

Maybe because god is a Baseless assertion and Unfalsifiable?

Falsifiability
or refutability of a statement, hypothesis, or theory is an inherent possibility to prove it to be false. A statement is called falsifiable if it is possible to conceive an observation or an argument which proves the statement in question to be false.

A justification for calling belief knowledge. A worthless justification. If you cannot support a claim, then you don't pretend you don't have to support it - you don't make it.

The reason it can't be falsified is because there is no evidence. None. Nada. Zip. In the absence of evidence, any conclusion is a belief. You are a believer.

You are just stupid and stubborn. Whatever you want to think.

I can't even say 100% sure that there were no talking snakes or 350 year old men so I guess I can't even be a true atheist about Jesus Mo or Jo. I wasn't there.

But then again I'd have to see that shit to believe it so I'm as close to 100% as you can get. Is that what we are arguing over? Less than 1%?

No, that you are a believer has been established. Your willingness to concede there is a 1% chance your belief is wrong does not make it any less a belief. What we are arguing over is this unquestioned adherence to a definition and the insistence that the definition creates reality. This is the essence of dogma and dogma is one of the attributes of religion.

The definition given is that Atheists lack beliefs in gods. You clearly don't lack beliefs but you go back and forth on admitting this because it conflicts with the definition. Dogma.

It is said Atheists don't evangelize. You have admitted you do exactly that, but you deny it is evangelizing (though you agree you are doing exactly what evangelists do) because you are an Atheist and Atheists don't evangelize. Dogma.

Atheism as the belief there is no God (and you can only arrive at that conclusion via belief) is not religion. It's just a belief and as valid as any other belief. It is this dogmatic approach that an Atheist's beliefs aren't beliefs because Atheists lack beliefs that takes what is just a belief and transforms it into religion. Now you are setting up standards that "this is what an Atheist is" and "they are doing Atheism wrong", and that is nothing but dogma.

The existence and non-existence of a god are not equally probable outcomes.
obviously nothing more than a throwaway, unproveable comment.....there is no valid way to quantify either.....

Really? What odds do you give god? 50 50 odds?
????.....100/100......the chance that the universe we have is the result of random shit happening randomly?......0

The First Cause Argument, or Cosmological Argument, is internally contradictory and raises the following questions: Who or what created god?, Why should a hypothetical ‘cause’ have any of the common attributes of a god?, Why is the ‘cause’ a specific god?, Why can’t the universe be causeless too? and, most importantly, Why rule out all other possible explanations?

It is fundamentally a ‘god of the gaps’ approach. Our current lack of understanding concerning the Universe’s origins does not automatically mean ‘god’ holds any explanatory value. Metaphysical and theistic speculation are not immediately justified or correct simply because we lack a comprehensive scientific model. Uncertainty is the most valid position and one can honestly say “We just don’t know yet”.

The argument ignores the fact that our everyday understanding of causality has been arrived at via a posteriori inductive reasoning – which means it might not apply to everything. Time, for instance, appears to have begun with the Big Bang, so there might not have been any ’cause’ for the Universe to be an ‘effect’ of since there was probably no time for a ’cause’ to exist in. Applying concepts like time and causality to the Big Bang might be comparable to asking “What is north of the North Pole?” – ultimately nonsensical and incoherent. Furthermore, even if causality could be established it would not immediately imply the existence of a god, much less any particular one, as the properties and nature of the ’cause’ could forever remain a mystery or be naturalistic.

In fact, something can come from nothing and we are able to observe it in the form of virtual particles and quantum vacuum fluctuations. They explain why the early universe lacked uniformity and provided the seeds for the emergence of structure. These quantum phenomena are also causeless in the sense that they are objectively and irreducibly random, a fact confirmed by tests of non-local realism and Bell’s Theorem.

You do agree though it would be impossible to say 100% for sure there is no generic thing that made everything we see? To KNOW that you'd have to be a god yourself. So even most atheists admit that. But as far as believing any organized religion that has ever been on this planet, we are as sure as we can be those are all 100% sure of it.

So sure I guess we are even willing to bet our souls that it is, right? So tell that bitch to shut the hell up. As far as her beliefs go, we're so fucking sure we're willing to burn in hell for eternity if we are right.

I wish they had to give something up if they are wrong. Wouldn't that be cool? We go to hell if there is a god and they go to hell if there isn't.

There is no hell. There is no Christian God. I'm 100% certain of that. Not a shred of doubt in my mind. Why is there doubt in yours?

Smith defines implicit atheism as "the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it". "Absence of theistic belief" encompasses all forms of non-belief in deities. This would categorize as implicit atheists those adults who have never heard of the concept of deities, and those adults who have not given the idea any real consideration. Also included are agnostics who assert they do not believe in any deities (even if they claim not to be atheists)

vs me:

Smith observes that some motivations for explicit atheism are rational and some not. Of the rational motivations, he says:

The most significant variety of atheism is explicit atheism of a philosophical nature. This atheism contends that the belief in god is irrational and should therefore be rejected. Since this version of explicit atheism rests on a criticism of theistic beliefs, it is best described as critical atheism.

If by irrational it is meant the belief is based upon no evidence of any kind, I would agree. However, if a belief based upon no evidence of any kind is irrational, then that term must be applied to all such beliefs - which would includes Atheism.

This really has nothing to do with philosophy, it is a realistic examination of facts. If you want to look at a specific deity, or a specific attribute of a deity, sound arguments can be made about it. I think we can establish through hard evidence the sun is not Apollo riding his chariot across the sky. I think we can establish lightning is not Zeus throwing stuff around in a snit. But in terms of generality, the amount of information available to support either side is equal - zero. Whether one says there is or there is not, either position is equally irrational.

Consider a foot race and you are going to bet on the outcome. There are two racers, called racer a and racer b. Who the actual racers will be will be determined by drawing their name, at random, from a container with the name of every living human being on the planet. Who do you think will win, a or b? There is no way to judge that, so it is a 50/50 proposition. And in this situation, you at least have some information - which is more than you have regarding the existence of God. Yet you think you can come to a rational conclusion about the existence of God? The notion is absurd.

ev·i·dence

1.the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

Yes. I have told you before I read your web site. I've also told you I'm not a Christian. There is no evidence presented in that site to show there is no God. Only arguments against the proposition that there is, and specifically a Christian God. Since there is no evidence that there is a God, that is not particularly difficult. You need to find a new set of bible tracts to hand out.

So if the bible god is completely made up, what makes you think any god(s) are real? Why can't you see that before Christianity was made up, god himself was made up?

That wasn't a joke?

RFOLMAO.

Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color, or not collecting stamps a hobby.

ev·i·dence

Falsifiability
or refutability of a statement, hypothesis, or theory is an inherent possibility to prove it to be false. A statement is called falsifiable if it is possible to conceive an observation or an argument which proves the statement in question to be false.

A justification for calling belief knowledge. A worthless justification. If you cannot support a claim, then you don't pretend you don't have to support it - you don't make it.

The reason it can't be falsified is because there is no evidence. None. Nada. Zip. In the absence of evidence, any conclusion is a belief. You are a believer.

An ad hominem is not a replacement for evidence or reason. Your conclusions are entirely unsupported by anything except belief. Whatever you want to think.

That wasn't a joke?

RFOLMAO.

Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color, or not collecting stamps a hobby.

Bumper stickers.

There is no hell. There is no Christian God. I'm 100% certain of that. Not a shred of doubt in my mind. Why is there doubt in yours?

vs me:

ev·i·dence

So if the bible god is completely made up, what makes you think any god(s) are real? Why can't you see that before Christianity was made up, god himself was made up?

I just feel that there is. Nothing more than that, just a feeling. Since there is no evidence to support either side, I'll go with what feels right. I don't claim this is knowledge, just belief. I also think all attempts on the part of humans to define God are our own inventions, including yours.

I would ask you how you know god was made up but we both know you have nothing to back that up. You just believe it. I have no objection to your believing it. I do object to someone who has nothing but belief claiming it is more than just belief. If you want to claim your position is based upon evidence and reason, then you must produce both. If you say you just believe it, then the discussion is over. You need provide no support for a belief.

ev·i·dence

Falsifiability

An ad hominem is not a replacement for evidence or reason. Your conclusions are entirely unsupported by anything except belief. Whatever you want to think.

noun: evidence
.the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

We've given you plenty of evidence that god doesn't exist. First we shown you tons of evidence the Mo, Jo & Jesus god(s) don't exist and we even exposed generic god as being a fraud.

Put it this way. If you believe in generic god, and you don't believe that god ever visited earth and talked to Mo, Joe & Jesus, then you are saying that ancient/primitive/superstitious/uneducated/unevolved man 400,000 years ago were right when they invented him.

Chances are though they made him up and he does not actually exist but feel free to remain in the stone age.

Forum List

Back