Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

Carla_Danger

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2013
A Red Welfare State
It is NOT a religion, and if you keep saying it is, I'm going to start my own tax exempt church, and start pounding on your door at dinner time.

Seriously, it sounds ridiculous when you say it.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms:faith, belief, worship, creed; More
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

It is NOT a religion, and if you keep saying it is, I'm going to start my own tax exempt church, and start pounding on your door at dinner time.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Stating the obvious. But has anyone but Astartled actually suggested it is? Is this some kind of movement in Revisionistastan?

I don't know, god doesn't tell me shit.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Stating the obvious. But has anyone but Astartled actually suggested it is? Is this some kind of movement in Revisionistastan?

I don't know, god doesn't tell me shit.

I've heard two other posters from this forum say it, but I don't remember who.

Ludicrous arguments. Like prevailing theories in cosmology, interesting food for thought but most can never be proven, thus we relegate all such arguments to the realm of "theology" or "faith". Atheism is a faith, because no atheist has yet been able to prove his counter-theological argument, yet they expend no small amount of energy trying to browbeat people into believing there's is the only true faith. He accepts on faith that there is no God, just as others accept on faith that there is.

Ludicrous arguments. Like prevailing theories in cosmology, interesting food for thought but most can never be proven, thus we relegate all such arguments to the realm of "theology" or "faith". Atheism is a faith, because no atheist has yet been able to prove his counter-theological argument, yet they expend no small amount of energy trying to browbeat people into believing there's is the only true faith. He accepts on faith that there is no God, just as others accept on faith that there is.

I don't have faith that there is no God. I cannot be 100% sure of what happens when we die.. As a matter of fact, I miss the comfort I got out of religion back when I was a believer. I just don't see any evidence that there is a God, so I don't live my life as if a God exists. (that's lack of faith)

Last edited:

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

You should try being honest for once maybe, and post the ENTIRE defintion

Full Definition of RELIGION
a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>

b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

number 4 certainly covers the militant atheists out there.

Have you noticed that every time you disagree with me, you are wrong?

If you go on the internet and tell people there's no God, and they're stupid if they think there is, you're acting just like a religious person who says there is a God, and you'll go to hell if you don't believe it.

Bullshit. Where's the "browbeat"? As noted where this malarkey began, I don't even know, and I doubt anyone else does, who the atheists are on this site. Unless it happened to come up, why would it? Atheism is a simple assessment of theist theory that it doesn't make sense and is rejected. That's it. Faith is something needed to believe what you can't prove. This is the opposite -- simply noting that such proof is not there.

If you go on the internet and tell people there's no God, and they're stupid if they think there is, you're acting just like a religious person who says there is a God, and you'll go to hell if you don't believe it.

That's a lot of ifs. Did they ask?

I don't have faith that there is no God. I cannot be 100% sure of what happens when we die.. As a matter of fact, I miss the comfort I got out of religion back when I was a believer. I just don't see any evidence that there is a God, so I don't live my life as if a God exists. (that's lack of faith)

We're relatively comfortable here in the West.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

That's a metaphorical definition. Does not apply. And there's no such thing as "militant atheists". That would require teams of missionaries traipsing out to the jungles to give the savages the good news that everything's fine, just keep on doing what you're doing. That would require charismatic cult leaders in mega-nonchurches splashing over your TV claiming to not-at-all heal the sick in the name of nothing, and most importantly SEND MONEY. Doesn't exist.

Belief in theism, or refusal thereof, is a personal decision. There would be no point in "selling" a nonentity. You can only sell an entity. Or a faith.

Uhhhhh.................. OK....

Yes, that is true. Uncomfortable people are more religious than comfortable people. The worst thing that ever happened to Christianity was color television, Disneyland, and the three-bedroom suburban home.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's a metaphorical definition. Does not apply. And there's no such thing as "militant atheists". That would require teams of missionaries traipsing out to the jungles to give the savages the good news that everything's fine, just keep on doing what you're doing. That would require charismatic cult leaders in mega-nonchurches splashing over your TV claiming to not-at-all heal the sick in the name of nothing, and most importantly SEND MONEY. Doesn't exist.

Belief in theism, or refusal thereof, is a personal decision. There would be no point in "selling" a nonentity. You can only sell an entity. Or a faith.

Metaphorical? LOL That's right our of Miriam's Dictionary.

And of course it's a personal decision, but there are just as many people out there trying to convince people that there is no God as there are trying to convince people that there is.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

You wish.

And no it doesn't. What we have is a lack of faith. Religion relies on faith. .

Forum List

Back