Are you a Good Samaritan?

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010

Are you a Good Samaritan? Are you willing to help your fellow man out in a bad situation?

You know, pulling someone from a burning car. Performing CPR after someone has a heart attack. Doing mouth to mouth on a drowning person. Someone has fallen and you help them up. Someone is choking and you do the hymlic manover. You know that kind of thing, just being a nice person helping someone out.

In doing that are you willing to give up everything you have? Loose your home and all of your savings?

Be careful about this false security many you have about the Good Samaritan Law. There is no such thing.

Next time you come across one of your fellow man in trouble, think twice before helping. Unless that is you get it in writing that they want your help and absolve you of any liability.

So bottom line is don’t help anyone unless you are willing to accept the possibility to lose your shirt in the process.

Are you a Good Samaritan? Are you willing to help your fellow man out in a bad situation?

You know, pulling someone from a burning car. Performing CPR after someone has a heart attack. Doing mouth to mouth on a drowning person. Someone has fallen and you help them up. Someone is choking and you do the hymlic manover. You know that kind of thing, just being a nice person helping someone out.

In doing that are you willing to give up everything you have? Loose your home and all of your savings?

Be careful about this false security many you have about the Good Samaritan Law. There is no such thing.

Next time you come across one of your fellow man in trouble, think twice before helping. Unless that is you get it in writing that they want your help and absolve you of any liability.

So bottom line is don’t help anyone unless you are willing to accept the possibility to lose your shirt in the process.

There are a number of states that have good samaritan laws which protect the good samaritan from civil liability in the event they inadvertantly injure someone while trying to help them. There are a number of states that do not.

California's good samaritan law protects good samaritans who are "rendering emergency aid" to a victim of an accident. The California Supremes recently interpreted that phrase as meaning that only good samaritans who are rendering emergency MEDICAL aid will be protected by the law. That means a GS who injures a victim while pulling them out of a burning car, CAN be sued by the victim. (Thank you, Syrenn, for providing this information to me originally.)

I would say you should be aware of what the law is in your state on this particular issue and be guided accordingly. Of course, I don't know about you or anyone else, but I doubt there are few of us out there who wouldn't try to help another person if we could.

They can sue me if they want, but unless they find out where I hid the money I don't have they won't collect.

Well I took a five week First Aid class, I am a nurses aid, and I take care of a guy who will probably dies within three weeks. So I guess my answer is yes! Plus it is my job to do life saving procedures if need be. If some of clients cases they are on Hospice, so I just make them comfortable.

Good smaritan Laws will protect you, as long you help within reason. If you try to preform heart surgery on a person without being a doctor, the law will not protect you.

• Banned
Well I took a five week First Aid class, I am a nurses aid, and I take care of a guy who will probably dies within three weeks. So I guess my answer is yes! Plus it is my job to do life saving procedures if need be. If some of clients cases they are on Hospice, so I just make them comfortable.

And out on the street? Say you come across someone, what then?

If you look anything like your avatar in real life, you could sure make me feel comfortable . . . :eusa_whistle:

But seriously - good for you! I have a great deal of respect and gratitude for one who does what you do.

Yes I would, and I wouldn't care less if they sued me. For one I have nothing, I rent, and I owe on my car. Plus it wouldn't matter, I am not going to let someone die if can do something about it. You think I would be in line of work I am, if I could let someone die?
What if they wouldn't sue you, and you let them die?

In California, she would probably be OK, because she would be (presumably) providing emergecy MEDICAL aid.

Query, however: Suppose, in California, a medical doctor was merely pulling someone out of a burning vehicle, even as you or I could do. Serious spinal injury results. The victim was unconscious, so the doc couldn't ask him about any injuries prior to pulling him out and, in any event, there wouldn't have been enough time.

Yes I would, and I wouldn't care less if they sued me. For one I have nothing, I rent, and I owe on my car. Plus it wouldn't matter, I am not going to let someone die if can do something about it. You think I would be in line of work I am, if I could let someone die?
What if they wouldn't sue you, and you let them die?

Totally agree. As I said earlier, I think most of us wouldn't think twice about helping another if we could.

If the bastard then sued me, I might SHOOT HIM, but that's another issue . . .

I will help to the best of my ability. But if I question myself about a procedure I wouldn't try it. I mean we did have some pretty intensive first aid courses in the military and I did once do a 6 week combat Medic course. Not often you come across a sucking chest wound these days though.

Good smaritan Laws will protect you, as long you help within reason. If you try to preform heart surgery on a person without being a doctor, the law will not protect you.

No they will not, not as far as you would hope or think. It is nice to think that they will but just remember you may not always be getting thanks. Your ass can be handed to you on a plate for you help.

I will help to the best of my ability. But if I question myself about a procedure I wouldn't try it. I mean we did have some pretty intensive first aid courses in the military and I did once do a 6 week combat Medic course. Not often you come across a sucking chest wound these days though.

Ollie, how about putting your hand out to help someone up who has fallen down? You know the car is about to explode and you pull someone out? The train is coming and you pull some kid off the tracks who is unconscious?

No they will not, not as far as you would hope or think. It is nice to think that they will but just remember you may not always be getting thanks. Your ass can be handed to you on a plate for you help.

I have read the Good Samaritan Law in my state a few times, yes it would protect me.
maybe you should show examples of people being screwed, before you go any farther.

I have read the Good Samaritan Law in my state a few times, yes it would protect me.
maybe you should show examples of people being screwed, before you go any farther.

I come from the medical end too. My instinct is always to help, however I will always think twice now.

All it will take in your state is to challenge that law and then your up shit creek. You don't have to have anything to be sued. Your wages can be garnished for the rest of you life.

Ollie, how about putting your hand out to help someone up who has fallen down? You know the car is about to explode and you pull someone out? The train is coming and you pull some kid off the tracks who is unconscious?

All that goes without saying, unfortunately, these days, more people would reach for their camera phones.

As far as someone suing me for helping them? Well, There are still a lot of very deep dark closed up coal mines in the area. Some of us know where and can open them temporarily. Not that I know of anything like that......

An interesting side note to this thread is that, at common law (and I'm pretty sure under present statute law in all states), there was/is no duty to help anyone. The classic example given in law school was: you are walking down a sidewalk and come across a 1-year-old infant, drowning in a wading pool that is only a foot deep. You keep on walking and the child drowns.

Could you be sued for failing to help the child? Nope.

How do you like THEM apples?

Forum List

Back