Are you a Good Samaritan?

Are you a Good Samaritan? Are you willing to help your fellow man out in a bad situation?

You know, pulling someone from a burning car. Performing CPR after someone has a heart attack. Doing mouth to mouth on a drowning person. Someone has fallen and you help them up. Someone is choking and you do the hymlic manover. You know that kind of thing, just being a nice person helping someone out.

In doing that are you willing to give up everything you have? Loose your home and all of your savings?

Be careful about this false security many you have about the Good Samaritan Law. There is no such thing.

Next time you come across one of your fellow man in trouble, think twice before helping. Unless that is you get it in writing that they want your help and absolve you of any liability.

So bottom line is don’t help anyone unless you are willing to accept the possibility to lose your shirt in the process.

What a piece of crap. I did the Heimlich on someone and I was only 19 at the time. I was shocked that no one else in that restaurant would help that man. Granted, he looked homeless, but for goodness sake, he still was a person. I couldn't believe that I, the youngest one in the place was the only one willing to help him. Guess the rest of the people in that restaurant were friends of yours?

Yes, I'm willing to help my fellow man/woman/person it's my duty as a Christian. Heck, it should be YOUR duty as a PERSON.

Ok I'll tell ya a little True Story.

I was driving through the Wilds of Wyoming one late afternoon about 10 miles south of Lance Creek when I passed two Black Angus Steers standing beside the road. They weren't inside the fence, so I figured I'd stop at the next ranch and let'm know there was about to be a wholelotta hamburger out on the highway if an 18 Wheeler hit them in the dark.

I pull up to this house, get out, and hear a weird, colliophy of yapping, snarling, whining as about a dozen weiner dogs rounded the corner.

I jump back into my car, but I gotta shake one weiner dog off my pantleg before I was able to close the door.

Are you a Good Samaritan? Are you willing to help your fellow man out in a bad situation?

You know, pulling someone from a burning car. Performing CPR after someone has a heart attack. Doing mouth to mouth on a drowning person. Someone has fallen and you help them up. Someone is choking and you do the hymlic manover. You know that kind of thing, just being a nice person helping someone out.

In doing that are you willing to give up everything you have? Loose your home and all of your savings?

Be careful about this false security many you have about the Good Samaritan Law. There is no such thing.

Next time you come across one of your fellow man in trouble, think twice before helping. Unless that is you get it in writing that they want your help and absolve you of any liability.

So bottom line is don’t help anyone unless you are willing to accept the possibility to lose your shirt in the process.

What a piece of crap. I did the Heimlich on someone and I was only 19 at the time. I was shocked that no one else in that restaurant would help that man. Granted, he looked homeless, but for goodness sake, he still was a person. I couldn't believe that I, the youngest one in the place was the only one willing to help him. Guess the rest of the people in that restaurant were friends of yours?

Yes, I'm willing to help my fellow man/woman/person it's my duty as a Christian. Heck, it should be YOUR duty as a PERSON.

Now where did I say don't help people? I said know the possible consequences of your actions.

Are you a Good Sam...

Now where did I say don't help people? I said know the possible consequences of your actions.

Stop warning about potential dangers. Jesus, you think you're doing people a favor by expressing your fears?

STFU

Last edited:

Stop warning about potential dangers. Jesus, you think you're doing people a favor by expressing your fears?

STFU

Not a fear, a fact of law.

Most states have a "Good Samaritan Law" for Health Care Workers that relieves them from liability for rendering medical assistance in an emergency with four general caveats: They act within their area of competence, only accepted procedures are performed, they remain on the scene until relieved and receive no compensation for the act.

Also, no health care worker is obligated to provide care in an emergency.

If the OP is in the healthcare field, I am surprised she isn't aware of it. Hell, I get mock questions about it on board prep question banks (easy points!).

Someone might try to sue you for actions under the GSL, but the law is written to encourage health care providers to render aid when needed for the greater good. In a utilitarian view, it's in the state's best interest to shield them from litigation and I think they generally are.

This was the only instance I could find of someone being sued under it and they weren't applying medical aid.

http://www.newser.com/story/45740/court-allows-suit-against-good-samaritan.html

Last edited:

STFU

What exactly is a "fact of law"? Someone can file suit against you for virtually anything. It doesn't mean it's going to go anywhere.

STFU

What exactly is a "fact of law"? Someone can file suit against you for virtually anything. It doesn't mean it's going to go anywhere.

As my old torts professor at Hastings, Dean Prosser, used to say a long time ago: "You can sue the Bishop of Boston for bastardy. The question is, can you win?"

As my old torts professor at Hastings, Dean Prosser, used to say a long time ago: "You can sue the Bishop of Boston for bastardy. The question is, can you win?"

"Summary Judgment"

In all seriousness, I hate to see people perpetuate bad information. I am a mediocre medical student, but I am bewildered at how fucking scared of litigation people in the medical profession are. To the credit of the Doctors who teach me, I never see them prattle on about it. It's only on the internet that the more bizarre notions come up.

Last edited:
An interesting side note to this thread is that, at common law (and I'm pretty sure under present statute law in all states), there was/is no duty to help anyone. The classic example given in law school was: you are walking down a sidewalk and come across a 1-year-old infant, drowning in a wading pool that is only a foot deep. You keep on walking and the child drowns.

Could you be sued for failing to help the child? Nope.

How do you like THEM apples?

This was brought to my attention just recently. A couple of weeks ago, in NYC, a homeless man came to the aid of a woman being mugged. For his efforts, the mugger stabbed him. He was left on the street to bleed out while several people walked passed him with nary a glance. A couple of folks passed and looked, then strolled on.

The callousness of the human animal never ceases to surprise me.

Anyway, this point of law was brought up in a couple of discussions concerning the incident.

STFU

Hello.

What is it with some women and the hysteria posts? I see it here, and elsewhere. It's like they are on watch duty.

"Summary Judgment"

In all seriousness, I hate to see people perpetuate bad information. I am a mediocre medical student, but I am bewildered at how fucking scared of litigation people in the medical profession are. To the credit of the Doctors who teach me, I never see them prattle on about it. It's only on the internet that the more bizarre notions come up.

Here and in public. It just has legs here where every idiot is equal.

An interesting side note to this thread is that, at common law (and I'm pretty sure under present statute law in all states), there was/is no duty to help anyone. The classic example given in law school was: you are walking down a sidewalk and come across a 1-year-old infant, drowning in a wading pool that is only a foot deep. You keep on walking and the child drowns.

Could you be sued for failing to help the child? Nope.

How do you like THEM apples?

This was brought to my attention just recently. A couple of weeks ago, in NYC, a homeless man came to the aid of a woman being mugged. For his efforts, the mugger stabbed him. He was left on the street to bleed out while several people walked passed him with nary a glance. A couple of folks passed and looked, then strolled on.

The callousness of the human animal never ceases to surprise me.

Anyway, this point of law was brought up in a couple of discussions concerning the incident.

Sad but true. Though I can see the point behind the clause in the GSL. Say (God help you all) I graduate from medical school and complete residency and go out one night and get very drunk (as I like to do on occasion and which won't likely change with job description) and in a drunken state stumble upon an accident. Now, if I were to show up intoxicated at the hospital to practice, I'd be in deep shit (rightfully so). I would think it would be criminal negligence for me to try and apply medical assistance while completely inebriated in my scenario.

Hello.

What is it with some women and the hysteria posts? I see it here, and elsewhere. It's like they are on watch duty.

I haven't really noticed that it's a gender thing. But some people really do need to nut up. I wonder if they go through life wearing a flak jacket.

Hell, you may get sued or you may not get sued. Most likely, if you are worth a damn, you won't even be concerned with it at the time. It will just be an aggravation after the fact. If I am a defense lawyer, I want to take that one to jury.

"So you are suing my client for providing aide that saved your life because he wrenched your neck and now you have some permanent nerve damage?"

"That's correct."

"But your heart, lungs, and brain are still functioning?"

"................"

I think some people are under the impression that they will actually die from civil litigation.

"Summary Judgment"

Here and in public. It just has legs here where every idiot is equal.

Yes. The OP is mistaken. There is, in fact, a Good Samaritan Law (that probably varies slightly from state to state).

What it does not do is serve as a catch all for stupidity. That is to say, you can't go and yank someone out of their car in a minor fender bender, break their neck in the process, and hide under the "Good Samaritan Law".

Rightfully so.

Forum List

Back