Workplace Harassment v Free Speech

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Quantum Windbag, May 20, 2010.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Today the 9th Circuit ruled that employees cannot restrict the rights of fellow employees to express opinions simply because they find them offensive.

What were the emails?

Rodriguez v. Maricopa County Community College Dist.

2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
    Can you sum it up please? I really don't want to read all of that.

3. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I can say anything I want, even at work, at the government does not have the right to shut me up is the simplistic answer.

The issue was that Kehowski worked for a quasi government agency, the local community college, and espoused some views that others found offensive. The views included his opinion that La Raza day has racist overtones, that Americans should celebrate Columbus Day as a triumph of Western Civilization, and that multiculturalism is poisoning America. These emails were sent to everyone at the college who had a school email address. The district was sued for not preventing these views under workplace harassment laws.

I would like to point out that this decision applies only to government entities, not private employers, and only in the 9th Circuit, which frequently gets overturned by SCOTUS. I do think they reached the right interpretation here, mostly because I agree with it. :razz:

The part that makes the decision likely to stand up is that Kehowski did not direct the speech at any individual. He just publicized his opinion, so he is entitled to free speech protection. If he had directed the speech to specific people there could have been a case for harassment, and a hostile workplace of the school had done nothing to rectify it.

4. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
    How very un PC of him :lol::lol::lol:

5. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    He was technically wrong on the allegation that the Amerinds killed the White People who were here before them.

Though it has been documented that skulls found all over North America prior to the Amerind arrival were Caucasoid and that these skulls predate the Amerinds by 20,000 years there is no way of knowing the color of their skin. North Africans have Caucasoid skulls but can be very brown of skin. Same with numerous other Caucasoid people all over the globe. A good argument could be made that the pre Amerind people were from France because their spears were fluted just like the spear heads of France from 30,000 years ago.

That is the only link to the possible origination of the Caucasoids. It is also believed that the Caucasoids were not wiped out by the arrival of the Amerinds 12,000 years ago. The original English colonists described and painted the Eastern Woodland Indians as looking very Caucasion in appearance. Throughout Mexico when the Spanish arrived there were pockets of Indians who had very Caucasoid skull features. The ruling class of the Inca Indians had Caucasoid features and were reported to have had fair hair and even red hair.

6. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,950
    Currently a workplace has to be as bland as the most easily offended person there wants it to be.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,448
    . . . or as the boss and his managers will use to intimidate the worker bees.

8. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Walter Kehowski is a fucking hero.