Anyone Taking Any Food Supplements That Actually Work?

For the very brave / experimentally minded / ? Stoopid ? Who want some serious antioxidant activity, you might want to look into Buckminster fullerenes (C60 OO) - a risky endeavour, but one many life extensionist types have been dabbling in since the experiment with rats by Fathi Moussa - I'm personally somewhat suspicious about some elements of the study, but it's interesting nevertheless.

For the very brave / experimentally minded / ? Stoopid ? Who want some serious antioxidant activity, you might want to look into Buckminster fullerenes (C60 OO) - a risky endeavour, but one many life extensionist types have been dabbling in since the experiment with rats by Fathi Moussa - I'm personally somewhat suspicious about some elements of the study, but it's interesting nevertheless.
Oh oh count me in. I'm donating my body to science!

As i understand it, isnt the trick to get them in a pure form and past the biological barriers like stomach acid?

How were they taking in the Buckey balls?

Glucosamine Chondrotin has helped me. (It has helped some of my elderly dogs too. Dog physiology and human physiology are similar in many ways.) However, exercise helps ease joint stiffness and pain more than suppliments. That said, combine suppliments and exercise - that works best.

I sleep better if I've exercised that day.

What is NAC?
THE AMAZING BENEFITS OF N-A-C | Vitality Magazine | Toronto Canada alternative health, natural medicine and green living

There are a couple more links in the OP.

James Watson:

...In light of the recent data strongly hinting that much of late-stage cancer's untreatability may arise from its possession of too many antioxidants, the time has come to seriously ask whether antioxidant use much more likely causes than prevents cancer.

All in all, the by now vast number of nutritional intervention trials using the antioxidants β-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and selenium have shown no obvious effectiveness in preventing gastrointestinal cancer nor in lengthening mortality. In fact, they seem to slightly shorten the lives of those who take them. Future data may, in fact, show that antioxidant use, particularly that of vitamin E, leads to a small number of cancers that would not have come into existence but for antioxidant supplementation. Blueberries best be eaten because they taste good, not because their consumption will lead to less cancer.

It is thought that antioxidants can prevent damage to DNA from oxygen radicals. But, argues Watson, we want oxygen radicals in cancer cells because this can cause the cells to die. Taking antioxidants might be preventing cancer drugs from destroying cancer cells.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5975002/james-watson-says-antioxidants-may-actually-be-causing-cancer

James Watson:

...In light of the recent data strongly hinting that much of late-stage cancer's untreatability may arise from its possession of too many antioxidants, the time has come to seriously ask whether antioxidant use much more likely causes than prevents cancer.

All in all, the by now vast number of nutritional intervention trials using the antioxidants β-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and selenium have shown no obvious effectiveness in preventing gastrointestinal cancer nor in lengthening mortality. In fact, they seem to slightly shorten the lives of those who take them. Future data may, in fact, show that antioxidant use, particularly that of vitamin E, leads to a small number of cancers that would not have come into existence but for antioxidant supplementation. Blueberries best be eaten because they taste good, not because their consumption will lead to less cancer.

It is thought that antioxidants can prevent damage to DNA from oxygen radicals. But, argues Watson, we want oxygen radicals in cancer cells because this can cause the cells to die. Taking antioxidants might be preventing cancer drugs from destroying cancer cells.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5975002/james-watson-says-antioxidants-may-actually-be-causing-cancer
Induction of apoptosis and reduction of MMP gene expression in the U373 cell line by polyphenolics in Aronia melanocarpa and by curcumin. - PubMed - NCBI

James Watson:

The cells should auto-suicide when they become damaged anyway, but the anti-oxidants can prevent the damage in the first place, it seems to me.

But, yeah, I am probably killing myself with all this shit, but at least it is a healthier, more pleasant and enjoyable life I am killing myself for, if so lol. :D

As i understand it, isnt the trick to get them in a pure form and past the biological barriers like stomach acid?

How were they taking in the Buckey balls?
They were taking them in extra virgin olive oil, some process involving centrifuging, and using very pure Bucky balls - ie there is a type that has some dangerous impurity - those below a certain % in the high 90's - but I can't remember what it's called. They have to be 'dissolved' sufficiently so there is no sediment. Once the fullerenes are 'dissolved' in evoo, there allegedly isn't any problem with absorption AFAIK - some of those guys took/take the C60 OO neat, some on a salad. Some made the stuff at home. Many tried to replicate the wistar rat study by dose by kg for a human etc, and also to follow the study in terms of the fluctuating dose, but I can't remember the details. I will have to look it up again, but I definitely don't recall a problem with absorption once it's in olive oil.

They were taking them in extra virgin olive oil, some process involving centrifuging, and using very pure Bucky balls - ie there is a type that has some dangerous impurity - below a certain % - but I can't remember what it's called. They have to be 'dissolved' sufficiently so there is no sediment. Once the fullerenes are 'dissolved' in evoo, there allegedly isn't any problem with absorption AFAIK - some of those guys took/take the C60 OO neat, some on a salad. Some made the stuff at home. Many tried to replicate the wistar rat study by dose by kg for a human etc, and also to follow the study in terms of the fluctuating dose, but I can't remember the details. I will have to look it up again, but I definitely don't recall a problem with absorption once it's in olive oil.
That sounds very interesting. Got a linky?

Same for B complex, which is water soluble and the excess drains off in urine anyway (hence the yellow) so it's in effect wasted. For supplements I'm more interested in C and E.
I've never noticed B vites making any difference in energy level or sleep. Or pretty much anything unless I was unable to eat.
I have long had ocular rosacea and it has migrated into my eyes. The biggest symptom is that I get 'dry eyes' a lot and a crusty material that buids up in my eye lashes late at night, no matter if I have exercised, no matter what I have eaten, etc.

However, since taking this immune boosting B complex, the symptoms have been reduced by 99%, I swear. This makes me think it is probably helping my badly abused body in other ways as well.

Last edited:
James Watson:

The cells should auto-suicide when they become damaged anyway, but the anti-oxidants can prevent the damage in the first place, it seems to me.

But, yeah, I am probably killing myself with all this shit, but at least it is a healthier, more pleasant and enjoyable life I am killing myself for, if so lol. :D
Yes. I'm not convinced about this either.
Also, i'll have to check, but I'm sure the beta carotene / vit A study the nay Sayers always quote was actually a synthetic vit A supplement, for example. However, glucose and iron are also believed to feed tumour cells, so who knows? It's probably just best not to go overboard. I'm thinking I might try NAC. Also, r Alpha Lipoic Acid is another interesting antioxidant and anti inflammatory as it can pass the blood-brain barrier, regenerate glutathione, and reduce insulin sensitivity. However, it uses up B bits at an alarming rate so one would have to supplement those too.

They were taking them in extra virgin olive oil, some process involving centrifuging, and using very pure Bucky balls - ie there is a type that has some dangerous impurity - below a certain % - but I can't remember what it's called. They have to be 'dissolved' sufficiently so there is no sediment. Once the fullerenes are 'dissolved' in evoo, there allegedly isn't any problem with absorption AFAIK - some of those guys took/take the C60 OO neat, some on a salad. Some made the stuff at home. Many tried to replicate the wistar rat study by dose by kg for a human etc, and also to follow the study in terms of the fluctuating dose, but I can't remember the details. I will have to look it up again, but I definitely don't recall a problem with absorption once it's in olive oil.
That sounds very interesting. Got a linky?
Ye, I'll find it.

I've been taking supplements for maybe 30 years. B complex, C, potent multi-vitamin, most bought at Costco for 20 years or so. Added glucosamine chondroiten maybe 20 years ago, when I stop my knees hurt, added saw palmetto maybe 10 years ago.

Yeah, when I was in the army I saw a report that was comparing life spans for those in the army and those out of the army. It also looked at various factors like beingmarried (a big plus) or if you drank (moderate was good) or took a daily vitamin. It added like 2 years and change then, but a growing body of evidence is supporting taking vitamins, despite the obvious problems in doing so.

Also there is a link between telemeres and antioxidants.

Longer telomeres associated with multivitamin use - Life Extension Update

The researchers found 5.1 percent longer telomeres on average in daily users of multivitamins compared with nonusers. Increased telomere length was associated with one a day and antioxidant formula use, but not with stress-tabs or B complex. Individual vitamin B12 supplements were associated with increased telomere length and iron supplements with shorter telomeres. When nutrients from food were analyzed, vitamins C and E emerged as protective against telomere loss.

In their discussion of the findings, the authors explain that telomeres are particularly vulnerable to oxidative stress. Additionally, inflammation induces oxidative stress and lowers the activity of telomerase, the enzyme that that is responsible for maintaining telomeres. Because dietary antioxidants, B vitamins, and specific minerals can help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, they may be useful for the maintenance of telomere length. In fact, vitamins C and E have been shown in cell cultures to retard telomere shortening and increase cellular life span.

This is the study that got the human rats experimenting. Note there were only 6 Wistar rats (rats that *usually* get tumours) in the experimental group, and one was I think euthanised - so who knows how long it would have lived.

Biomaterials
June 2012, Vol.33(19):4936–4946, doi:10.1016/j.biomaterials.2012.03.036

The prolongation of the lifespan of rats by repeated oral administration of [60]fullerene
  • Tarek Baati
  • Fanchon Bourasset
  • Najla Gharbi
  • Leila Njim
  • Manef Abderrabba
  • Abdelhamid Kerkeni
  • Henri Szwarc
  • Fathi Moussa
Show more
Check for full text accessPurchase $35.95Get Full Text Elsewhere
Abstract
Countless studies showed that [60]fullerene (C60) and derivatives could have many potential biomedical applications. However, while several independent research groups showed that C60 has no acute or sub-acute toxicity in various experimental models, more than 25 years after its discovery the in vivo fate and the chronic effects of this fullerene remain unknown. If the potential of C60 and derivatives in the biomedical field have to be fulfilled these issues must be addressed. Here we show that oral administration of C60 dissolved in olive oil (0.8 mg/ml) at reiterated doses (1.7 mg/kg of body weight) to rats not only does not entail chronic toxicity but it almost doubles their lifespan. The effects of C60-olive oil solutions in an experimental model of CCl4 intoxication in rat strongly suggest that the effect on lifespan is mainly due to the attenuation of age-associated increases in oxidative stress. Pharmacokinetic studies show that dissolved C60 is absorbed by the gastro-intestinal tract and eliminated in a few tens of hours. These results of importance in the fields of medicine and toxicology should open the way for the many possible -and waited for- biomedical applications of C60 including cancer therapy, neurodegenerative disorders, and ageing.

Keywords
  • Fullerenes
  • Toxicity
  • Pharmacokinetics
  • Ageing
  • Oxidative stress
Elsevier: Article Locator

Found this on NAD from Scientific American

Beyond Resveratrol: The Anti-Aging NAD Fad

Recent research suggests it may be possible to reverse mitochondrial decay with dietary supplements that increase cellular levels of a molecule called NAD (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide). But caution is due: While there's promising test-tube data and animal research regarding NAD boosters, no human clinical results on them have been published.

NAD is a linchpin of energy metabolism, among other roles, and its diminishing level with age has been implicated in mitochondrial deterioration. Supplements containing nicotinamide riboside, or NR, a precursor to NAD that's found in trace amounts in milk, might be able to boost NAD levels. In support of that idea, half a dozen Nobel laureates and other prominent scientists are working with two small companies offering NR supplements.

The NAD story took off toward the end of 2013 with ahigh-profile paper by Harvard's David Sinclair and colleagues. Sinclair, recall, achieved fame in the mid-2000s for research on yeast and mice that suggested the red wine ingredient resveratrol mimics anti-aging effects of calorie restriction. This time his lab made headlines by reporting that the mitochondria in muscles of elderly mice were restored to a youthful state after just a week of injections with NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide), a molecule that naturally occurs in cells and, like NR, boosts levels of NAD....

The NAD findings tie into the ongoing story about enzymes called sirtuins, which Guarente, Sinclair and other researchers have implicated as key players in conferring the longevity and health benefits of calorie restriction. Resveratrol, the wine ingredient, is thought to rev up one of the sirtuins, SIRT1, which appears to help protect mice on high doses of resveratrol from the ill effects of high-fat diets. A slew of other health benefits have been attributed to SIRT1 activation in hundreds of studies, including several small human trials.

Here's the NAD connection: In 2000, Guarente's lab reported that NAD fuels the activity of sirtuins, including SIRT1—the more NAD there is in cells, the more SIRT1 does beneficial things. One of those things is to induce formation of new mitochondria. NAD can also activate another sirtuin, SIRT3, which is thought to keep mitochondria running smoothly.

The Sinclair group's NAD paper drew attention partly because it showed a novel way that NAD and sirtuins work together. The researchers discovered that cells' nuclei send signals to mitochondria that are needed to maintain their normal operation. SIRT1 helps insure the signals get through. When NAD levels drop, as they do with aging, SIRT1 activity falls off, which in turn makes the crucial signals fade, leading to mitochondrial dysfunction and all the ill effects that go with it.

NAD boosters might work synergistically with supplements like resveratrol to help reinvigorate mitochondria and ward off diseases of aging. Elysium is banking on this potential synergy—its NR-containing supplement includes a resveratrol-like substance called pterostilbene (pronounced tero-STILL-bean), which is found in blueberries and grapes....

How excited should we be about all this? If I were a middle-aged mouse, I'd be ready to spend some of the nickels and dimes I'd dragged off the sidewalk to try NR supplements. Even before Sinclair's paper, researchers had shown in 2012 that when given doses of NR, mice on high-fat diets gained 60 percent less weight than they did on the same diets without NR. Further, none of the mice on NR showed signs of diabetes, and their energy levels improved. The scientists reportedly characterized NR's effects on metabolism as "nothing short of astonishing."

But the paucity of human data gives me pause. Nobel laureates notwithstanding, I plan to wait until more is known before jumping up from the supper table to run out for some NR. Besides, it probably won’t be long before more data come out given the growing buzz about NAD.

My views on life extension is that successful life extension begins with interviewing centenarians to find out what THEIR habits were and are.

This is a much more scientific approach to the issue than food fads.

There are some recommendations as well, this one from US News:

http://www.usnews.com/pubfiles/LT100_Checklist_Health_2012.pdf?int=99a108

One of these actually WARNS AGAINST "anti aging" fads.

I drink Myoplex when I'm done training
I drink moonshine -- but only moderately and in the evenings.

This is just exactly what the US News list says to do -- alcohol in moderation.

The science of alcohol in the human body shows that alcohol dissolves plaques in arteries and also helps to digest fats.

Forum List

Back