A place to talk for those of us grieving over our pets

AyeCantSeeYou

Platinum Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
May 19, 2013
DMV
After I started the thread about Polly, I've had a few people PM me about the pain and grief they are going thru over the loss of their pets. I started looking and realized there really wasn't a thread on here for those of us dealing with it. Sure, anyone can do a web search on ways to deal with the loss of a pet, but for many of us, nothing those sites have listed really helps. Most of them are copycats of each other anyway and feel "stale" and uncaring. I want this thread to be a place for support and sincere compassion for those of us that are grieving the loss of our beloved pets.

I've had pets for as long as I can remember. The loss of one has never been minimized due to the loss of another. I have loved them all. I'm one of those that considers my pets "family". They're one of my kids. When they hurt, I hurt. When they're sick, I do everything I can to make them feel better (vet, giving/forcing them to take medicine, holding them like a baby, etc). The pain and heartache of losing one can't be described. It hurts like hell. Coming home is just never the same. There's an emptiness and silence I feel that is unexplainable; all is NOT well with the world as much as I want it to be.

After I started the thread about Polly, I've had a few people PM me about the pain and grief they are going thru over the loss of their pets. I started looking and realized there really wasn't a thread on here for those of us dealing with it. Sure, anyone can do a web search on ways to deal with the loss of a pet, but for many of us, nothing those sites have listed really helps. Most of them are copycats of each other anyway and feel "stale" and uncaring. I want this thread to be a place for support and sincere compassion for those of us that are grieving the loss of our beloved pets.

I've had pets for as long as I can remember. The loss of one has never been minimized due to the loss of another. I have loved them all. I'm one of those that considers my pets "family". They're one of my kids. When they hurt, I hurt. When they're sick, I do everything I can to make them feel better (vet, giving/forcing them to take medicine, holding them like a baby, etc). The pain and heartache of losing one can't be described. It hurts like hell. Coming home is just never the same. There's an emptiness and silence I feel that is unexplainable; all is NOT well with the world as much as I want it to be.
Maybe you can convince the powers that be to make a sub forum in Pets

very Interesting.

I am so sorry - and can relate.

Terrible idea.....It does nobody any good to wallow in grief over a pet for more than a day or so.

Remember them with fondness, buck-up, and move on.
A day or so is cutting it way too short. Nothing wrong with feeling the pain of loss for a couple of weeks given the years of love and companionship they gave you.

I’ve lost my dear pets and it always took me a month or so before I was ready to adopt a new one. And doing so always helped.

A day or so is cutting it way too short. Nothing wrong with feeling the pain of loss for a couple of weeks given the years of love and companionship they gave you.

I’ve lost my dear pets and it always took me a month or so before I was ready to adopt a new one. And doing so always helped.
The weird part is your mind plays tricks on you for a couple of weeks. Sometimes you swear that you see a departed pet in the corner of your eye.....It goes away.

The last dog I had was like that.....Like I said it was weird.

I'm sorry too. Losing a pet is traumatic.
We had an Ol Schaunzer- 16.
We bought a puppy. He was obsessed with the puppy. And the puppy took upon himself- the babysit the ol fella.
Who had dementia- plus deaf etc. The puppy took care of him- woke him up to go out... cleaned his ears. He lived to be 17.5 cause of his luv for that puppy.
When he finally passed on- the puppy was an adult.

now- the adult puppy was all alone. We bought him a schnauzer puppy. And the karmic cycle continues.... till this day.
some folks say they will never have another dog again because they're so upset.. I don't agree with that. Get another one. you'll be surprised- how much you luv it- and it's healthy for the other dogs.
I sing this song to them all... and change the words...
To All the dogs I luved before- who made me open up the door.( constantly)

Last edited:
There's an emptiness and silence I feel that is unexplainable; all is NOT well with the world as much as I want it to be.

I'm so sorry! There us nothing comforting that can be said...the loss is still an all encompassing loss...of a family member....

This is the stage my husband and I both, are still in... a year and 5 months, after she died.... :(

what breed was she?
She was a beagle.

I lost four dogs when my house burned down the twenty eighth of February.
I tried to think of something to say to you about this yesterday, but the only word that came to mind was, "Damn!"

How are you doing with all of it? Are the kids around to help?

Forum List

Back