Anyone Taking Any Food Supplements That Actually Work?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I am taking a daily multivitamin engineered for us old farts, a Glucosamine supplement that really works well to prevent joint pain, a probiotic that really helps me stay 'regular', a B Complex vitamin that has had a huge improvement on my energy levels over the last few days and I have been able to sleep much better also.

I am considering taking NAC, but as I reviewed the subject, I thought I might share my approach and what I have gained in insight since starting with food supplements about 9 years ago after my heart attack.

First, I only read reviews by neutral parties that dont sell a specific supplement, nor sites that have an angle, like skeptic sites that are never happy with anything. I once stopped taking my glucosamine after reading a negative review on one site but when the pain started coming back I resumed it, and realized that one can sells hyper-skepticism as easily as one can sell bullshit pills.

Another thing is I always take my food supplements after eating a meal. It seems to have more affect when it is take after eating, I guess the ingredients get absorbed into the food and the body digests it in better. But some things just do not get past the lining or acid in the stomach, so it has to piggyback on other things or be in a time release capsule, like the probiotics.

But this NAC is very interesting. Has anyone else here read about it or used it? Did it have a positive impact on your health?

The Ultimate Antioxidant

N-Acetyl Cysteine - Walmart.com

THE AMAZING BENEFITS OF N-A-C | Vitality Magazine | Toronto Canada alternative health, natural medicine and green living

Depends on your goal. I take a daily multivitamin because it turns my pee such pretty colors.
Have you tried a more direct approach like food coloring?

A great amount of the ingredients in food supplements do 'pass through' but what you take them with does make a difference.

My regimen is similar to yours, JimBowie. The glucosamine has been a tremendous help for mobility and lessening joint pain. I will try the B complex. I know nothing about NAC.

I am taking a daily multivitamin engineered for us old farts, a Glucosamine supplement that really works well to prevent joint pain, a probiotic that really helps me stay 'regular', a B Complex vitamin that has had a huge improvement on my energy levels over the last few days and I have been able to sleep much better also.

I am considering taking NAC, but as I reviewed the subject, I thought I might share my approach and what I have gained in insight since starting with food supplements about 9 years ago after my heart attack.

First, I only read reviews by neutral parties that dont sell a specific supplement, nor sites that have an angle, like skeptic sites that are never happy with anything. I once stopped taking my glucosamine after reading a negative review on one site but when the pain started coming back I resumed it, and realized that one can sells hyper-skepticism as easily as one can sell bullshit pills.

Another thing is I always take my food supplements after eating a meal. It seems to have more affect when it is take after eating, I guess the ingredients get absorbed into the food and the body digests it in better. But some things just do not get past the lining or acid in the stomach, so it has to piggyback on other things or be in a time release capsule, like the probiotics.

But this NAC is very interesting. Has anyone else here read about it or used it? Did it have a positive impact on your health?

The Ultimate Antioxidant

THE AMAZING BENEFITS OF N-A-C | Vitality Magazine | Toronto Canada alternative health, natural medicine and green living

I've taken a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM complex when I had sore joints. Then, once they're built back up I stop.

Hard to know about what would have happened without certain supplements. I do know taking C makes my gums and teeth stronger; that zinc intake grows hair, and that at least the occasional calcium/magnesium ingestion will incite vivid dreams. The outward effect of other stuff is less evident though.

I've taken a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM complex when I had sore joints. Then, once they're built back up I stop.

I stay onthat stuff daily. IF I go more than a week without it, I am hurting, but then again I have arthritis and the glucosamine seems to help with that alot. Dont know how, it was recommended to me by my doctor who runs alot and it helps him.

Hard to know about what would have happened without certain supplements. I do know taking C makes my gums and teeth stronger; that zinc intake grows hair, and that at least the occasional calcium/magnesium ingestion will incite vivid dreams. The outward effect of other stuff is less evident though.

Have you tried any probiotics or B Complex vitamin supplements? They have really helped me, which is what got me digging into this the past few days.

The current issue of Consumer Reports addresses this topic.
I'l look for it at the CVS and see if I can get away with reading the article at the magazine rack.

I have gotten cheap in my old age.

EDTA is hard to get information about and you should ask your cardiologist if he knows anything about it. Invented in the 1930s the patent expired in the 50s. Make sure you use the same type found in mayo and shampoo, the type used in ERs will kill you.

EDTA is hard to get information about and you should ask your cardiologist if he knows anything about it. Invented in the 1930s the patent expired in the 50s. Make sure you use the same type found in mayo and shampoo, the type used in ERs will kill you.
I think I read about this as an alternative treatment for over consumption of iron,etc. I have anemia and that shit would likely kill me, lol.

Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glucosamine Chondrotin has helped me. (It has helped some of my elderly dogs too. Dog physiology and human physiology are similar in many ways.) However, exercise helps ease joint stiffness and pain more than suppliments. That said, combine suppliments and exercise - that works best.

I sleep better if I've exercised that day.

What is NAC?

I stay onthat stuff daily. IF I go more than a week without it, I am hurting, but then again I have arthritis and the glucosamine seems to help with that alot. Dont know how, it was recommended to me by my doctor who runs alot and it helps him.

I can get away with just occasional use for when it flares up.
Couple of other things my doctor recommended for arthritis were: apple cider vinegar, cinnamon and garlic.
I believe turmeric is supposed to be good for general inflammation too -- I haven't used it as such but I have a friend who does.

Have you tried any probiotics or B Complex vitamin supplements? They have really helped me, which is what got me digging into this the past few days.

Probiotics, only when I had been taking antibiotics for some infection or to get rid of ulcers. Otherwise I think what's in my diet is both sufficient and the best delivery method. For instance I juice a grapefruit every day and usually have some raw veggies somewhere.

Same for B complex, which is water soluble and the excess drains off in urine anyway (hence the yellow) so it's in effect wasted. For supplements I'm more interested in C and E.

I've never noticed B vites making any difference in energy level or sleep. Or pretty much anything unless I was unable to eat.

I think I read about this as an alternative treatment for over consumption of iron,etc. I have anemia and that shit would likely kill me, lol.

Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are counter-indicators and dosage restrictions on anything, not to mention interactions with the other stuff you are taking. Check with your pharmacist too..

I've been taking supplements for maybe 30 years. B complex, C, potent multi-vitamin, most bought at Costco for 20 years or so. Added glucosamine chondroiten maybe 20 years ago, when I stop my knees hurt, added saw palmetto maybe 10 years ago.

The Ultimate Antioxidant

Generally fat soluble nutrients A, D, E, K, Fe, Mg & Ca are best taken with food and with food with a decent fat content.
Amino acids are generally best taken on an empty stomach or with fruit juice, but not protein as the amino acids in the protein will compete for absorption and utilisation of the supplement aa you are taking.
NAC is best taken with vit C - 3G for every 1.2g of NAC and fruit juice (not protein) as it utilises a fair amount of vit C.
Also, a lot of people seem to swear by taking NAC during and after taking alcohol. However, at least one study suggests It is potentially dangerous to do this as some metabolite of ethanol is formed more rapidly than usual and this metabolite is more damaging when formed so readily. So, before drinking, by several hours, yes, during and afterwards for several hours, probably not so good. If I remember the study I'll post it. Also, NAC can obviously change liver enzyme readings, but there are indications that the improved readings don't *always* correlate with improved function, so something for people with liver issues to bear in mind and tell their Dr about if they are having liver function tests.
NAC seems to be viewed as a kind of panacea right now, from COPD, Liver diseases, to skin issues (because it it is a precursor of Glutathione, and helps recycling and protecting C & E among other reasons), however, I haven't used it so I can't offer any personal experience.
Another issue is that regular NAC typically has an extremely short half life of about an hour and a half! However, Jarrow now makes a sustained release form, where 1/3 of the content is released as usual, and 2/3 over 8 hours - allegedly. So if I were to try it, I'd try that brand first.

Last edited:

The Ultimate Antioxidant

I started searching last year when we got the Internet back on what could be done to try to either minimize chemical asthma and the damage done to internal organs by being covered in chemicals in 2008. Shortly after I started the search my son came down to let us know he had been diagnose with cancer in three places. He was diagnosed with Lupus in his twenties and with Lupus treatment with chemo would be an almost certain death sentence. He went to Mayo as that is who has been his primary care facility for years. He decided on a natural medicine route and so far things are looking good for him. During that search of mine over the last year I made friends with several doctors who are also herbalist. I also tried to determine what we had growing in our own acreage that could be utilized. One group comment I came across a woman had used Chlorophyll for two years to fully cure her asthma so I started taking it three times a day- six months later and yesterday I went out to dig some Elecampe root and Teasel to see if they would be ready. I must have walked right over a hornets nest and I was swarmed. It took a lot of running to get to the house to get Rod's help to get these things off and out of my hair. I was a long ways out in the field. Six months ago walking that far would have done me in. One of my doctor friends also offered up some advice for a friend for Cholesterol buildup (it can be seen in a ring around the irises in the eyes). He said Hawthorn berry so I checked it out and bought a 1lb of it and started taking it six months ago too. Right away blood pressure improved for me. Five years ago I learned that the Liver could be fully restored with Milk Thistle, the studies and reports back then though were incomplete (there must be 20% viable Liver). Doctors thought it took 3 months but it takes at least six months and from everything I studied there are other things a person must to take along with the Milk Thistle to get the final results of a healthier Liver (the right kind food and oils, Flax and fish oil mainly, Dandelion root helps too and no saturated fats, pineapple, beets, tomato all improved the healing process). The benefits of taking the Milk Thistle improved my skin too. The skin had thinned so badly from the internal organ damage and the chemical that my skin would tear with bumping or moving against almost anything. Vitamin C (Acerola Cherry), Cranberry and Elderberry for Kidneys and Bladder works for me along with Echinacea and Golden Seal for helping to clear out colds. I have used vitamin D to get rid of ear infections as we do not get enough sun here in the winter. Vitamin B keeps my hair from being solid gray. I started taking it when grandma noticed I was going gray in my thirties, I have some gray now but not from lack of vitamins. A lot of viable studies out there online with pubmed if you are willing to take the time to search. I also use some essential oils and they have also brought excellent results. Frankincense and Clove oils healed the skin in a spot that had been badly burned when I was in my twenties. The broken red vessels that were very visible went away. I order the actual herbs whenever I can from herbal suppliers that sell raw product. A lot of other stuff I have tried that has worked over the years but the antis will probably have a fit for me listing even what I did. I also found a lot of super foods grow here on our acreage to help boost immunity and even some that the orientals use to repair organs grow here.

New Topics

Forum List

Back