An example of why some are opposed to gay marriage

Do a google search for John Adams and Tyranny of the Majority and you will find some very interesting articles.

acludem

If the Framers had meant individual rights to apply to only a portion of the citizenry for all times, then they would have been more specific in defining who is an individual.

You are an excellent example of the tyranny of which Tocqueville warned. Be careful what you wish for. Allowing a majority to tell everyone else how to conduct their private lives is a dangerous game - and it often backfires. Once a theocracy is established, it tends to tighten the noose.

Hope you don't like blow jobs - because the fanatical Christian Right hates those too.

Originally posted by acludem
Do a google search for John Adams and Tyranny of the Majority and you will find some very interesting articles.

acludem

Interesting, but again, I'm sure faggots weren't on the mind of the writers.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Interesting, but again, I'm sure faggots weren't on the mind of the writers.

Prove it. I challenge you to find anything in their papers that would exclude homosexuals from the Bill of Rights.

Originally posted by wonderwench
You are an excellent example of the tyranny of which Tocqueville warned. Be careful what you wish for. Allowing a majority to tell everyone else how to conduct their private lives is a dangerous game - and it often backfires. Once a theocracy is established, it tends to tighten the noose.

Hope you don't like blow jobs - because the fanatical Christian Right hates those too.

Holy Christmas, Tocqueville again? Is that your only reference?

No, I'm an excellent example of democracy in action. Only those losing the battles refer to it as tyranny.

Prove it. I challenge you to find anything in their papers that would exclude homosexuals from the Bill of Rights.

I don't need to prove it. Our system works fine for me right now. The people speak and the majority get what they want. Seems as if you guys want changes that the burden of proof is all on you. Sad to report that I've seen little of that.

I offered my proof - the warning of James Madison about the danger of the majority oppressing the minority.

I offered my proof - the warning of James Madison about the danger of the majority oppressing the minority.

Well, it did nothing to sway my opinion.

It's quite apparent that facts do nothing to influence people engaged in emotional bigotry.

It's quite apparent that facts do nothing to influence people engaged in emotional bigotry.

Call it what you will, it still won't make animal like behavior anymore acceptable to normal people.

That is exactly the attitude the Framers were concerned about. Each of us has an inherent right to live in our own way, as long as we do not infringe upon the liberty of others.

A gay person's existence does nothing to impede your liberty. But you are willing to trash the Constitution because you don't like what they do in the bedroom.

That is exactly the attitude the Framers were concerned about. Each of us has an inherent right to live in our own way, as long as we do not infringe upon the liberty of others.

A gay person's existence does nothing to impede your liberty. But you are willing to trash the Constitution because you don't like what they do in the bedroom.

If I wanted to coexist alongside animals I would have moved to the zoo. Trash the constitution, nice dramatic touch, but ridiculous.

People that are sick need medical attention. We don't need to give them the right to spread their sickness.

They are not sick.

Oh yes they are, and it appears there is no cure. In my opinion, it's perhaps one of the worst diseases ever known. Their behavior is disgusting and not comparable to the actions of normal people.

I've seen some heterosexuals (not in person mind you) engage in what I would consider to be disgusting behavior. Should we define what is okay by your personal opinion of what is "disgusting"? Personally, I find bigotry disgusting, I think it should be banned.

acludem

See but the difference is that heterosexuals who engage in what we would call disguisting behavior are not looking for social acceptance of such !

BTW - I am with Jim it is disguisting and totally unnatural. You put on blinders all you wish it does not change the facts. Lets take a survey of males in the US alone and ask them how they feel about homosexuality, I feel safe to say most would agree with me!!

Originally posted by jimnyc
Oh yes they are, and it appears there is no cure. In my opinion, it's perhaps one of the worst diseases ever known. Their behavior is disgusting and not comparable to the actions of normal people.

Not one person on the planet conforms to what is considered normal 100% of the time. Nor do Constitutional protections only apply to The Norm or The Majority.

Too bad you haven't actually learned anything from Tocqueville. I'll continue citing him because he is one of the all time authorities and top analysts of the American form of government. His warnings were quite prescient.

Not one person on the planet conforms to what is considered normal 100% of the time. Nor do Constitutional protections only apply to The Norm or The Majority.

Too bad you haven't actually learned anything from Tocqueville. I'll continue citing him because he is one of the all time authorities and top analysts of the American form of government. His warnings were quite prescient.

Too bad the majority will still get their way regardless. I don't need to learn anything from Tocqueville that I don't already know. Homosexuality is a disgusting disease and trying to make it a normal part of society is just as disgusting. They should offer them free medical assistance.

Thanks for proving my point.

Tocqueville, Madison, Jefferson et al. were quite right to be concerned about the Tyranny of the Majority.

After gays are dealt with, then the will come the other "vices". Better find a good hiding place for the bong. The majority doesn't look to favorably upon pot smokers.

Forum List

Back