Amend Florida's 'stand your ground' law, says lawyer for Markeis McGlockton's family

Have you ever used your weapon to dissuade someone w/o shooting?

• Total voters
To be fair, only this dummy saw it that way maybe. Just deal with the idiot appropriately and then move on. It is probably my guess that most don't abuse the law, and that most use it wisely. It is when people start defending the indefensible under such a law, is when people see the slight crack in the law that could be exploited. Seal the crack and move on.
No, I wish that were the case but not even close. Zimmerman is also a case in point however their are several cases where the SYG laws were just flat out abused, like the case where this guy ran down a thief who broke into his vehicle and stabbed him to death
Five ‘Stand Your Ground’ Cases You Should Know About — ProPublica

WTF....

In April, 22-year-old Cordell Jude shot and killed Daniel Adkins Jr., a pedestrian who walked in front of Jude’s car just as Jude was pulling up to the window of a Taco Bell drive-thru in Arizona. Jude claimed Adkins had waved his arms in the air, wielding what Judge thought was a metal pipe – it was actually a dog leash. Jude shot the 29-year-old Adkins, who was mentally disabled, once in the chest. As of May, an arrest had not been made in the April 3 shooting. Arizona passed a Stand Your Ground law in 2010.​

To be fair, only this dummy saw it that way maybe. Just deal with the idiot appropriately and then move on. It is probably my guess that most don't abuse the law, and that most use it wisely. It is when people start defending the indefensible under such a law, is when people see the slight crack in the law that could be exploited. Seal the crack and move on.
No, I wish that were the case but not even close. Zimmerman is also a case in point however their are several cases where the SYG laws were just flat out abused, like the case where this guy ran down a thief who broke into his vehicle and stabbed him to death

I agree. If you have to chase them down it is flat out wrong. Stand your ground does not mean you can chase them down. It means if you are attacked you do not have to run.

So if the attacker is backing up....?

Would this have happened had your hero not shoved the man? Yes or no?
Hmmm...now you are descending into “my hero”. He is not. He is just an unarmed guy who backed away from a guy he had shoved, who pulled a gun.

Did he deserve to die when he backed off? Who made the shooter judge, jury and executioner?

To answer your question, no.

But then...it should not have happened regardless.
Yeah, if only your hero had not shoved the other guy. Maybe he should have backed away before he shoved him or just tried de escalating the situation ya think? So yeah! It takes two to tango.
Or maybe he did not deserve to be shot when backing away Willow. Why defend it?
Answer my questions first then we will talk! I know you are in favor of shoving and physical assault right up until it dosen’t go your way but I can’t figure out why you defend physical assault! Tell me.

I did. You had one question, and I answered it. You don't get any more.

I'm not in favor of anything Willow. Except UNNECESSARY killing. I've been shoved and bullied, so I know all about it. I also know if a guy is BACKING away from a gun, he is no longer a threat. So why shoot him? Isn't that going too far? How FAR can it go where you will continue to defend it? Shooting him in the back as he is fleeing?
Then do not fucking ask me questions!

Hmmm...now you are descending into “my hero”. He is not. He is just an unarmed guy who backed away from a guy he had shoved, who pulled a gun.

Did he deserve to die when he backed off? Who made the shooter judge, jury and executioner?

Yeah, if only your hero had not shoved the other guy. Maybe he should have backed away before he shoved him or just tried de escalating the situation ya think? So yeah! It takes two to tango.
Answer my questions first then we will talk! I know you are in favor of shoving and physical assault right up until it dosen’t go your way but I can’t figure out why you defend physical assault! Tell me.

I'm not in favor of anything Willow. Except UNNECESSARY killing. I've been shoved and bullied, so I know all about it. I also know if a guy is BACKING away from a gun, he is no longer a threat. So why shoot him? Isn't that going too far? How FAR can it go where you will continue to defend it? Shooting him in the back as he is fleeing?
Then do not fucking ask me questions!

:lol:

I answer yours.

Will you answer mine?

I answered one question you don’t get anymore!

WTF....

In April, 22-year-old Cordell Jude shot and killed Daniel Adkins Jr., a pedestrian who walked in front of Jude’s car just as Jude was pulling up to the window of a Taco Bell drive-thru in Arizona. Jude claimed Adkins had waved his arms in the air, wielding what Judge thought was a metal pipe – it was actually a dog leash. Jude shot the 29-year-old Adkins, who was mentally disabled, once in the chest. As of May, an arrest had not been made in the April 3 shooting. Arizona passed a Stand Your Ground law in 2010.​

Stahp. I bet home invasions and robberies have gone down since that law was passed.

WTF....

Stahp. I bet home invasions and robberies have gone down since that law was passed.

I don't know. But it sure sounds like Cordell should not have been shot....

WTF....

I don't know. But it sure sounds like Cordell should not have been shot....

Ahem, Cordell was the shooter in that case. :rolleyes:

WTF....

I bet so too! My husband and I were driving home late at night in NOLA and a car full of people looking for trouble pulled up and started threatening us. My husband did not try to de escalate them, he knew trouble when he saw it. Next thing I knew his arm was across my chest and in his hand was a loaded gun! The troublemakers rolled up their windows and moved right on down the street!

WTF....

I bet so too! My husband and I were driving home late at night in NOLA and a car full of people looking for trouble pulled up and started threatening us. My husband did not try to de escalate them, he knew trouble when he saw it. Next thing I knew his arm was across my chest and in his hand was a loaded gun! The troublemakers rolled up their windows and moved right on down the street!

Like I said, there's a time and a place for everything.

PS: Y'all got some cockroachy thugs up 'round dere.

Some came here after Katrina. They're still here, somewhere in the FSP system.

Probably near Mama Hurt.

De escalation training is not valued enough in American society. Greater emphasis is placed on learning to shoot, whether it is the police or civilians.
Not everyone is looking for solutions, some just want an outlet for their aggressions.
Could be the case here, but without further investigation of the guy's background and/or his history, along with credible testimony put in the record as gathered from the store owner and witnesses, then the guy goes free.

No! The left hate stand your ground! They believe attackers should be able to beat the shit out of you and you should try and talk them out of it. Bullshit!

So you advocate killing unarmed people, backing away from your gun, without trying alternatives first?
Who knows, he may have shot the woman if he thought she was reaching for a weapon behind that car door when he was talking smack to her.

WTF....

Can you apply that tactic in every unique event in which has very different circumstances or do you think that one rule applies to all circumstances and/or situations ?? In some cases we have to react in certain ways while in other cases we might react in ways that a situation allows for or calls for. Death should be the last choice made, but if the choice is made then the consequences have to be dealt with.

WTF....

And you didn't shoot them! See...that's how it should go...don't you think?

I had a similar incident...my boyfriend of the time was an asshole driver (cut in and out) and I guess he pissed someone off...they started following us - riding our bumper, cutting in front, trying to force us off the road. We finally pulled off. They did too. Got out and approached our car. They got to the window and my shep/collie Halley hit the window snarling - they about pee'd their pants and we drove off. I was scared for sure.

WTF....

Can you apply that tactic in every unique event in which has very different circumstances or do you think that one rule applies to all circumstances and/or situations ?? In some cases we have to react in certain ways while in other cases we might react in ways that a situation allows for or calls for. Death should be the last choice made, but if the choice is made then the consequences have to be dealt with.

well said...thank you....

I mean the guy who was killed when he backed away. Does his life matter?
It did, he threw it away when he attacked another human, or don’t you believe in self defense?
I believe in using the minimum needed to defend myself. I also believe in trying to de escalate a situation.
Well ewe wasn’t there getting shoved around wiz ewe?

You know what the last violent altercation I had was?

It was St. Patty's day, and I drank a few with a friend, then was walking around the block (beer in hand) to see another old friend, and this young black cop comes up, says I'm going to jail. So I let him put the cuffs on me, soon as he got that 2nd cuff clicked, he curb-slammed me. Picked me up by the chain in between the cuffs.

I went off like a rocket, ready to get that POS fired. I know my rights, I demanded to speak to his supervisor, it was a choice, get him fired and go to jail, or walk away.

I walked away. There's a time and a place for everything.

I walked several miles right out of his jurisdiction.
Correct! And the violent one could have walked away from mr. mouth. Right?
Walked away while mouth was mouthing off at his girlfriend or wife with the kids in the car ?? Not likely.

WTF....

well said...thank you....
Welcome.

If can't get fair investigations after an event and/or fair trials to boot then all is lost.

WTF....

I remember this case being talked about after it happened.

I agree. If you have to chase them down it is flat out wrong. Stand your ground does not mean you can chase them down. It means if you are attacked you do not have to run.
Generally chasing someone down means that they're pissed which not only is not a valid legal basis for killing somone but it also makes them "the aggressor" which invalidates any stand your ground or self defense claim.

Forum List

Back