Eight years after Trayvon Martin, another 17-year-old is killed in a Sanford, Florida, stand your ground case

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I was indicating just last night in a thread regarding the killing of Ahmud Abery in Georgia that Texas is the only state that I'm aware of that allows shooting someone to protect property and then only under a very specific set of circumstances.

Again we find that the shooter in this case originally claimed to have acted in a manner which is contrary to what the law allows. Thank God for that documentation which is as I understand it, heard in the 911 call.

By the way, the attorney representing the family of the 17 year old is the same attorney who represented George Zimmerman in his criminal trial

The family of a black 17-year-old fatally shot in the back by a homeowner during an alleged car break-in in Sanford, Florida, has hired Mark O'Mara, the attorney who represented George Zimmerman, the lawyer said.

Zimmerman shot and killed another 17-year-old, Trayvon Martin, in the same city in 2012. He was acquitted of all charges after claiming self-defense.

In the new case O'Mara has taken, he is representing the family of Adrein Green, who was killed before 2 a.m. Tuesday after, police say, he attempted to burglarize a vehicle in a gated community.

The homeowner was on the phone with a 911 operator reporting a possible home burglary when he fired two shots at Green, which can be heard on the 911 call released by police.

2014: Young black men can get justice, O'Mara says.

2014: Young black men can get justice, O'Mara says. 03:05

Officers found Green unresponsive on a road near the home, police say. They performed CPR, but Green died at the hospital from "an apparent single gunshot wound to his back," Sanford Police Chief Cecil Smith said at a news conference.

Evidence at the scene shows Green tried to break into one of the homeowner's vehicles, Smith said.

The homeowner wasn't arrested because he was justified in using deadly force when Green allegedly engaged in a "forcible felony," said Assistant State Attorney Dan Faggard with the 18th Judicial Circuit.

The homeowner told police he feared for his life and for the lives of his wife and baby, Faggard said. Authorities have not publicly identified the homeowner.

Under Florida law, a person can use deadly force if she or he "believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony."

The person using deadly force "does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be," the law states.

O'Mara contested the prosecutor's claim, saying the homeowner says in the 911 call that he fired his weapon to scare Green off of his property.

"They weren't shooting in fear of personal safety," O'Mara told CNN. "In this case, it's pretty clear, in my opinion, you aren't allowed to shoot someone because they are breaking into your car."

The investigation is ongoing, State Attorney Phil Archer's office said in a statement, and once a final determination is made it will be announced publicly.

Florida's stand your ground law was a topic of debate in the Zimmerman case, as well as in the cases of Michael Dunn, who killed Jordan Davis, 17, during a 2012 argument over loud music in Jacksonville, and Michael Drejka, who killed Markeis McGlockton after McGlockton pushed him in a 2018 confrontation over a handicapped parking space in Clearwater.

Like Zimmerman, Dunn forewent a stand your ground defense and argued the shooting was in self-defense. Dunn was convicted of murder, Drejka of manslaughter. Both are in prison.
Eight years after Trayvon Martin, another 17-year-old is killed in a Sanford, Florida, stand your ground case

Last edited:
bluzman61, what specifically do you dislike about this news article?
Very good question.
In fact, the dislike option is about the dumbest, most childishly petulant feature of this site.
LOL, took the words right out of my mouth and I mean that literally since the word "childish" went through my mind when I saw this reply.

I was indicating just last night in a thread regarding the killing of Ahmud Abery in Georgia that Texas is the only state that I'm aware of that allows shooting someone to protect property and then only under a very specific set of circumstances.

Again we find that the shooter in this case originally claimed to have acted in a manner which is contrary to what the law allows. Thank God for that documentation which is as I understand it, heard in the 911 call.

By the way, the attorney representing the family of the 17 year old is the same attorney who represented George Zimmerman in his criminal trial

The family of a black 17-year-old fatally shot in the back by a homeowner during an alleged car break-in in Sanford, Florida, has hired Mark O'Mara, the attorney who represented George Zimmerman, the lawyer said.

Zimmerman shot and killed another 17-year-old, Trayvon Martin, in the same city in 2012. He was acquitted of all charges after claiming self-defense.

In the new case O'Mara has taken, he is representing the family of Adrein Green, who was killed before 2 a.m. Tuesday after, police say, he attempted to burglarize a vehicle in a gated community.

The homeowner was on the phone with a 911 operator reporting a possible home burglary when he fired two shots at Green, which can be heard on the 911 call released by police.

2014: Young black men can get justice, O'Mara says.'Mara says.

Officers found Green unresponsive on a road near the home, police say. They performed CPR, but Green died at the hospital from "an apparent single gunshot wound to his back," Sanford Police Chief Cecil Smith said at a news conference.

Evidence at the scene shows Green tried to break into one of the homeowner's vehicles, Smith said.

The homeowner wasn't arrested because he was justified in using deadly force when Green allegedly engaged in a "forcible felony," said Assistant State Attorney Dan Faggard with the 18th Judicial Circuit.

The homeowner told police he feared for his life and for the lives of his wife and baby, Faggard said. Authorities have not publicly identified the homeowner.

Under Florida law, a person can use deadly force if she or he "believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony."

The person using deadly force "does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be," the law states.

O'Mara contested the prosecutor's claim, saying the homeowner says in the 911 call that he fired his weapon to scare Green off of his property.

"They weren't shooting in fear of personal safety," O'Mara told CNN. "In this case, it's pretty clear, in my opinion, you aren't allowed to shoot someone because they are breaking into your car."

The investigation is ongoing, State Attorney Phil Archer's office said in a statement, and once a final determination is made it will be announced publicly.

Florida's stand your ground law was a topic of debate in the Zimmerman case, as well as in the cases of Michael Dunn, who killed Jordan Davis, 17, during a 2012 argument over loud music in Jacksonville, and Michael Drejka, who killed Markeis McGlockton after McGlockton pushed him in a 2018 confrontation over a handicapped parking space in Clearwater.

Like Zimmerman, Dunn forewent a stand your ground defense and argued the shooting was in self-defense. Dunn was convicted of murder, Drejka of manslaughter. Both are in prison.
You obviously approve of black kids ripping off cars to get their walking around money

but I say its too bad his mom didnt raise him with better values

..if you commit a crime, you initiate the problem ....
.. if a criminal is shot dead, it is undeniable that it is GOOD for everyone--good for the community
..T Martin was doing nothing wrong..Zimmerman should be in jail..Zimmerman was not standing his ground---not at all...he kept going after Martin

2014: Young black men can get justice, O'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.

You obviously approve of black kids ripping off cars to get their walking around money

but I say its too bad his mom didnt raise him with better values
Why would you assume that I approve of anyone engaging in criminal activity but especially "black kids"?

Wrong again, Texas does and rightfully so. me personally I don't think I would do it though, but it would depend on the events.

2014: Young black men can get justice, O'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.

Wrong again, Texas does and rightfully so. me personally I don't think I would do it though, but it would depend on the events.
Is that not what I stated in my first sentence, that Texas was the only state that I'm aware of that allows you to shoot someone for a property crime?

2014: Young black men can get justice, O'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.

Is that not what I stated in my first sentence, that Texas was the only state that I'm aware of that allows you to shoot someone for a property crime?
Well, copy this for later, but it looks like I'm wrong again!

..if you commit a crime, you initiate the problem ....
.. if a criminal is shot dead, it is undeniable that it is GOOD for everyone--good for the community
..T Martin was doing nothing wrong..Zimmerman should be in jail..Zimmerman was not standing his ground---not at all...he kept going after Martin
Zimmerman was laying on his back getting his head pounded into cement.

Martin was the thug that Obama wanted to father.

QUESTION:

Do you understand what SELF DEFENSE means?

The Arbery defenders seem to have MAJOR TROUBLE with the concept.

#IRobWIthArbery
I most certainly do. Do you understand the difference between shooting to protect property and shooting to defend your own life or the life of another? I'll give ou a hint, only one has to do with the SELF-defense laws.

2014: Young black men can get justice, O'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.'Mara says.

Well, copy this for later, but it looks like I'm wrong again!
No worries, I love that law :cool:

QUESTION:

Do you understand what SELF DEFENSE means?

The Arbery defenders seem to have MAJOR TROUBLE with the concept.

#IRobWIthArbery
I most certainly do. Do you understand the difference between shooting to protect property and shooting to defend your own life or the life of another? I'll give ou a hint, only one has to do with the SELF-defense laws.

Did you fail to see the black man lunging at the white person, also hitting him in the head?

The white person was protecting himself, not property.

Forum List

Back