Eight years after Trayvon Martin, another 17-year-old is killed in a Sanford, Florida, stand your ground case

Maybe. I still think Zimmerman did more than his fair share to incite.
Zimmerman is a member of the neighborhood watch. The gated community he lives in had been the victim of a number of break-ins. He sees a strange young man walking through the area and stops his car to observe him. At that point Martin makes a circle around Zimmerman's car looking at him. In your neighborhood, BM? Is that normal behavior? I lived in the big bad city several times...if someone did that to me while I was sitting in my car it would put me on edge. Would it do the same to you? Zimmerman calls the Police. That's not an incitement. That's someone having a reasonable response to what's taking place.

Like I said Zimmerman's actions could easily be seen by a reasonable person to be a threat.

Tell me if a guy was following your kid for blocks in his car then got out to chase him would you find that behavior threatening towards your kid?

Like I said Zimmerman's actions could easily be seen by a reasonable person to be a threat.

Ok. Doesn't make Trayvon's criminal assault any less criminal.

Tell me if a guy was following your kid for blocks in his car then got out to chase him would you find that behavior threatening towards your kid?

I'd expect my kid to call 911, not attack the guy after they already lost him.

Like I said all I know that in my old neighborhood Zimmerman's following a person for blocks in his car then getting out to chase him would be seen as threatening behavior.

I hope they were smarter than Trayvon in your old neighborhood.

I know, low bar.

wrong you claimed Zimmerman was the threat when he was returning to his car to meet the police he called. Martin had to come from the safety of his home to find and violently attack Zimmerman.
I said his behavior of following in his car and then getting out to chase a person can reasonably be seen as threatening.

Zimmerman didn't follow Martin for blocks in his car. He stopped his car and observed Martin. Then when the Police dispatch asked if he could see where Martin had gone...Zimmerman got out of his car and attempted to follow. Totally different scenario than what you're painting!

Ok. Doesn't make Trayvon's criminal assault any less criminal.

I'd expect my kid to call 911, not attack the guy after they already lost him.
We disagree.

I'm not going to argue anymore about it.

Where I grew up Zimmerman would have been seen as the aggressor.

Zimmerman didn't follow Martin for blocks in his car. He stopped his car and observed Martin. Then when the Police dispatch asked if he could see where Martin had gone...Zimmerman got out of his car and attempted to follow. Totally different scenario than what you're painting!
Whatever. We disagree.

Where I grew up it would have been Zimmerman that was seen as the aggressor. I guess I have a different perspective

I said his behavior of following in his car and then getting out to chase a person can reasonably be seen as threatening.
Actually the first "threatening" action would be Trayvon Martin circling Zimmerman's car! Who does that? Is that the action of a normal person?

Except when Martin Violently attacked him, he wasn't doing any of that.

That's a matter of perspective isn't it.

We are going to disagree because from my perspective growing up where I did Zimmerman would have been seen as the threat

Actually the first "threatening" action would be Trayvon Martin circling Zimmerman's car! Who does that? Is that the action of a normal person?
Maybe he was just trying to see what kind of perv was following him.

Doesn't matter. There is not a requirement for physical contact for a person's behavior to reasonably be seen as threatening.

There is when you lose all visual contact with that individual, then, when free and safe, you go back, circle around to get in front of that other person, and attack them from ambush..........

I go back and forth on this. In the Criminology class I took (years ago), the book and instructor pointed out that, in the Middle Ages, during public hangings of pickpockets, pickpockets would work the crowd. The severity of punishment doesn't deter the criminal bent on committing a crime.
The county in Arizona where Joe Arpaio was Sheriff, had a very low recidivism rate, however, whether It was because the ex-con's turned a new leaf or, just moved away to avoid being incarcerated in his county is anybody's guess. His policy was to place the arrested criminals in tents, rather than in air-conditioned buildings....and wear pink uniforms. Perhaps all counties should put prisoners in pink leotards and wear tutu's and see what happens. Embarrass them into behaving.
It wasn't pink uniforms. He had the jockey shorts dyed pink to reduce theft by inmates. A lot of inmates were taking their jail issued underwear with them when released. It seems like an innocuous method to reduce theft to me.

There is when you lose all visual contact with that individual, then, when free and safe, you go back, circle around to get in front of that other person, and attack them from ambush..........
Whatever.

All I know is that where I grew up it would have been Zimmerman that was seen as the threat because of his behavior and not a single person would have testified otherwise.

I've never lived in any neighborhood where a stranger making a lap around your car as you sit parked wouldn't have been seen as threatening.

Count your blessings then but don't be so naïve as to think there aren't dangerous places to live.

Forum List

Back