Am I the only athiest on here, who when...

That's interesting. You can't take my first sentences as truth because I recognize Palin as a dominionist? How much do you know about her Church? Joel's Army?

I didn't say that. You have a very, very bad habit of taking people's words and changing them to suit your own purposes. Whatever works for you I guess. The U.S. is not now, or ever going to become a Christian theocrasy. End of story.

I wish you would address the statements separately.

I hope you're right and the US never becomes a theocracy. Fox already think the government is 99% Christian. Is she right and I'm wrong?

So, you think that if the majority of people that work in the government are Christians, then that means we have a Christian theocrasy? How does that logic work?

I didn't say that. You have a very, very bad habit of taking people's words and changing them to suit your own purposes. Whatever works for you I guess. The U.S. is not now, or ever going to become a Christian theocrasy. End of story.

I hope you're right and the US never becomes a theocracy. Fox already think the government is 99% Christian. Is she right and I'm wrong?

So, you think that if the majority of people that work in the government are Christians, then that means we have a Christian theocrasy? How does that logic work?

Ask Fox, she came up with it. Her logic is that if the US opposes the kill gays bill in Uganda it does so because the government is 99% Christian.

I didn't make up this shit, she did.

There are plenty of Christians who don't believe in separation of church and state. They don't even think its in the Constitution.

Last edited:

Ask Fox, she came up with it. Her logic is that if the US opposes the kill gays bill in Uganda it does so because the government is 99% Christian.

I think you're deliberately miscontruing and misunderstanding what she said, which is not surprising given your track record for that.

I think you're deliberately miscontruing and misunderstanding what she said, which is not surprising given your track record for that.

Go back and read what she wrote.

I don't care what you think of me. I'm human.. If you want perfect, hang out with FoxFyre.

Last edited:
You said the US government is 99% Christian. I didn't make that up. Do you care to amend that statement or do you still believe it?

You said the US government is 99% Christian. I didn't make that up. Do you care to amend that statement or do you still believe it?

Nope. I absolutely said that 99% of those in government are on record as being Christian and that is verifiable if you would like to check their on line resumes. There is one Muslim I think. And a few Jews among the group. But it is mostly Christian. If not 99% then close to that. Nobody who is a professed Atheist. Atheism would not look good on a resume for somebody running for office in a predominantly Christian country.

And if you had it in you to honestly report what other members have said, you would acknowledge that gay people, Muslim people, Atheists, and everybody else have total and unfettered freedom in this country to be who or what they are BECAUSE of the very mostly Christian government leaders who saw to it that they would have those freedoms.

I guarantee you that if the government was mostly Muslim, you would not have the freedoms you enjoy if you were allowed to live at all.

And no government in which Atheism is the official policy has promoted and defended personal liberties either. So far ALL of those have been pretty bad so far as human rights go. So maybe you should be glad that Atheists are not in control here too. Hmmmmm?

I think you owe Christians an apology along with the World Net Daily.

There are plenty of Christians who don't believe in separation of church and state. They don't even think its in the Constitution.

And, in Islam, by definition, there is NO separation of church and law.

. . . and I told him so, privately a little while ago. But he is off-line.

And a private message apology after a public set of caustic comments doesn't seem to quite cut it.

Accordingly,

Dr. Grump I think I owe you a mea culpa. Damn it.

I am not sure why, but I came back to this thread.

I re-read your OP a few times in light of what you have subsequently said about what you intended.

I can see, now, that I may very well have reached a premature and erroneous conclusion. :redface:

Our immature back and forth banter with each other notwithstanding, I believe it comes down to this. I think I misjudged your intent -- and you in the process. My bad. I apologize to you.​

Pew Forum: Faith on the Hill: The Religious Affiliations of Members of Congress

111congress.png

In many ways, the changes in the religious makeup of Congress during the last half-century mirror broader changes in American society. Congress, like the nation as a whole, has become much less Protestant and more religiously diverse. Indeed, the total percentage of Protestants in Congress has dropped from 74.1% in 1961 to 54.7% today, which roughly tracks with broader religious demographic trends during this period. As recently as the early 1980s, nearly two-thirds of Americans identified themselves as Protestants. In the recent Landscape Survey, the number of self-identified Protestants dropped to 51.3%.

So if I'm doing my math right, about 90% of Congress is Christian. Are Mormons Christian? :confused:

Nope. I absolutely said that 99% of those in government are on record as being Christian and that is verifiable if you would like to check their on line resumes. There is one Muslim I think. And a few Jews among the group. But it is mostly Christian. If not 99% then close to that. Nobody who is a professed Atheist. Atheism would not look good on a resume for somebody running for office in a predominantly Christian country.

And if you had it in you to honestly report what other members have said, you would acknowledge that gay people, Muslim people, Atheists, and everybody else have total and unfettered freedom in this country to be who or what they are BECAUSE of the very mostly Christian government leaders who saw to it that they would have those freedoms.

I guarantee you that if the government was mostly Muslim, you would not have the freedoms you enjoy if you were allowed to live at all.

And no government in which Atheism is the official policy has promoted and defended personal liberties either. So far ALL of those have been pretty bad so far as human rights go. So maybe you should be glad that Atheists are not in control here too. Hmmmmm?

I think you owe Christians an apology along with the World Net Daily.

I don't owe Christians anything. If it was up to them (LDS and RCC) I would not be married in California. If I had completely unfettered freedom my marriage would be legal in all fifty states. It is church groups, not atheists who oppose marriage equality. Truth is there are Christians I'm grateful to. But, since you think I hate ALL Christians there is no point in me saying so. Keep your poor opinion of me.

WorldNetDaily is anti-gay. There is no way I will apologize to the likes of Joseph Farrah.

I'm not interested in a Muslim theocracy any more than I'm interested in a Christian or Buddhist one. Nor would I want to live somewhere all religion is outlawed and atheists rule.

Last edited:
...they read posts by the true-blue god botherers (ie, The Light), it only reinforces the fact there is no god? And if by some minor miracle it turns out that there is some sort of god out there, he or she would be sorely disappointed with the quality of his or her recruits

No, you're not the only sucker the devils laughing at, there's plenty more to join you there.

An atheist started the thread. Your point?

The point is that you accused Christians of starting threads to attack atheists and it sure seemed that you meant this thread. That was not the case here.

Grump is generally a good person to have a discussion with. It seems he can communicate without resorting to some of the tactics of others on here. I generally enjoy reading his comments whereas there are other atheists on this board that quite frankly are not worth spending time reading let alone communicating with.

Immie
I did not accuse Christians of starting threads to attack atheists. Please show me saying that exactly. I asked, more or less, why Christians are unable to leave atheists views alone, and why they feel challenged by them. If you believe in God, and they don't, that's all there is to it.

Funny, but throughout the entire thread you seem to be blaming Christians (and despite your protestation otherwise ALL Christians) for his problems and in fact accusing Christians of attacking atheists.

You say that he has a right to state his beliefs and his feelings... funny, I agree with you. I also happen to believe that Christians also have the right to state their beliefs and feelings.

Immie

I'm saying he intentionally threw out some somewhat provocative barbs in order to stir up some feelings among Christians.

Immie

A certain type of Christian...

I understand that and have no beef with you in this thread. However, your wording seems prime to "raise the cackles" of all Christians because you are in fact challenging all of us. I cannot recall having read too much from "The Light" that I don't at least understand where he is coming from and I would not put him in the ranks of people like Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell whose tactics I disagree with.

Immie

. . . and I told him so, privately a little while ago. But he is off-line.

And a private message apology after a public set of caustic comments doesn't seem to quite cut it.

Accordingly,

Dr. Grump I think I owe you a mea culpa. Damn it.

I am not sure why, but I came back to this thread.

I re-read your OP a few times in light of what you have subsequently said about what you intended.

I can see, now, that I may very well have reached a premature and erroneous conclusion. :redface:

Our immature back and forth banter with each other notwithstanding, I believe it comes down to this. I think I misjudged your intent -- and you in the process. My bad. I apologize to you.​

Classy

111congress.png

In many ways, the changes in the religious makeup of Congress during the last half-century mirror broader changes in American society. Congress, like the nation as a whole, has become much less Protestant and more religiously diverse. Indeed, the total percentage of Protestants in Congress has dropped from 74.1% in 1961 to 54.7% today, which roughly tracks with broader religious demographic trends during this period. As recently as the early 1980s, nearly two-thirds of Americans identified themselves as Protestants. In the recent Landscape Survey, the number of self-identified Protestants dropped to 51.3%.

So if I'm doing my math right, about 90% of Congress is Christian. Are Mormons Christian? :confused:

Are Mormon's Christian? That is a touchy subject. If one defines the word Christian as believing in the divinity of Christ and the Trinity (Father/Son/Holy Spirit being one and the same God) then no, Mormons are not Christian. They rank on the level of Jehovah's Witnesses who believe in the man Jesus Christ but not his divinity.

Mormons have a different belief as to who Jesus was and in the mainstream cannot be considered Christian.

Immie

111congress.png

Are Mormon's Christian? That is a touchy subject. If one defines the word Christian as believing in the divinity of Christ and the Trinity (Father/Son/Holy Spirit being one and the same God) then no, Mormons are not Christian. They rank on the level of Jehovah's Witnesses who believe in the man Jesus Christ but not his divinity.

Mormons have a different belief as to who Jesus was and in the mainstream cannot be considered Christian.

Immie

Mormons are the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

They believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

They are, on that basis alone, Christians.

The point is that you accused Christians of starting threads to attack atheists and it sure seemed that you meant this thread. That was not the case here.

Grump is generally a good person to have a discussion with. It seems he can communicate without resorting to some of the tactics of others on here. I generally enjoy reading his comments whereas there are other atheists on this board that quite frankly are not worth spending time reading let alone communicating with.

Immie
I did not accuse Christians of starting threads to attack atheists. Please show me saying that exactly. I asked, more or less, why Christians are unable to leave atheists views alone, and why they feel challenged by them. If you believe in God, and they don't, that's all there is to it.

Funny, but throughout the entire thread you seem to be blaming Christians (and despite your protestation otherwise ALL Christians) for his problems and in fact accusing Christians of attacking atheists.

You say that he has a right to state his beliefs and his feelings... funny, I agree with you. I also happen to believe that Christians also have the right to state their beliefs and feelings.

Immie

Thank you for this Immie. Every person whether Christian, Atheist, Buddhist, Muslim, or whatever has the full right in this country to state his/her opinion short of inciting to riot or other speech that directly endangers people.

And we each have full right to disagree with ANYTHING that anybody else says.

Among honorable people, however, we also have the right to be characterized and quoted accurately and we have an obligation to treat others in the same way regardless of how we might feel about them personally.

The dishonorable will continue to mischaracterize and misquote those they dislike or disrespect and apparently feel no conscience in doing so and feel no obligation to correct whatever misstatements they make. Apparently in their world, if the other is "evil", he, she, or it deserves whatever lies are told about him or her or it.

I hope and pray that the honorable will continue to outnumber the dishonorable.

If the dishonorable prevail, we are all screwed.

I'm saying he intentionally threw out some somewhat provocative barbs in order to stir up some feelings among Christians.

Immie

I understand that and have no beef with you in this thread. However, your wording seems prime to "raise the cackles" of all Christians because you are in fact challenging all of us. I cannot recall having read too much from "The Light" that I don't at least understand where he is coming from and I would not put him in the ranks of people like Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell whose tactics I disagree with.

Immie

I started my thread in response to the OP in this thread. http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/137520-the-movie-skyline.html
I mean the movie was made by Satan?? only a truly uber fundie Christian even thinks like this

Immie

I started my thread in response to the OP in this thread. http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/137520-the-movie-skyline.html
I mean the movie was made by Satan?? only a truly uber fundie Christian even thinks like this

I have not read that thread.

Made by Satan? Hehe Sure there was not a little bit of hyperbole... okay, strike that... a hell of a lot of hyperbole in that statement?

Immie

Forum List

Back