All things Doctor Who!

I thought the episode was okay but not Great like "The Eleventh Hour" ("Hello, I'm the Doctor. Basically, Run!")

I'm also bothered by the whole Clara being freaked out by a new Doctor. She's met other regenerations. This shouldn't be a shock to her.

Final point. This episode was a callback Season 2 story. And Next Week - Daleks! Going for the Daleks already.
thats the difference between Davies and Moffat Joe....i think Moffat is nowhere near as good a show runner as was Davies....

I don't know if I'd go that far. I think Davies was carried by the fact Tennant was as good as he was. Some of his episodes were seriously dark. And don't even get me started on Torchwood.

I thought the episode was okay but not Great like "The Eleventh Hour" ("Hello, I'm the Doctor. Basically, Run!")

I'm also bothered by the whole Clara being freaked out by a new Doctor. She's met other regenerations. This shouldn't be a shock to her.

Final point. This episode was a callback Season 2 story. And Next Week - Daleks! Going for the Daleks already.
thats the difference between Davies and Moffat Joe....i think Moffat is nowhere near as good a show runner as was Davies....

I don't know if I'd go that far. I think Davies was carried by the fact Tennant was as good as he was. Some of his episodes were seriously dark. And don't even get me started on Torchwood.
the Showtime Torchwood i thought sucked....the series i felt was pretty decent....

Can't stand the new one. I know we always have that initial reaction coming to love the last one, and the nature of the show is new doctors every so often, but compared to seemingly every prior Dr. Who this guy's old, stolid, and stuffy.

Not sure how I feel about the new doctor except I wish his accent wasn't so thick.

As far as age, I think they storyline handled it well when it was pointed to clara that even though he looks has looked young in the past, he really is old and the age should't matter.

I haven't watched Into The Dalek yet so hopefully the new Doctor will shine a lot more brightly this week.

Can't stand the new one. I know we always have that initial reaction coming to love the last one, and the nature of the show is new doctors every so often, but compared to seemingly every prior Dr. Who this guy's old, stolid, and stuffy.
I think his take, wildly different from Tennant and Smith, is excellent. Having a different actor doing the same things would be boring to me. Capaldi I think is bringing in bits of classic Doctors, and I think a bit of Eccleston as well. He's got the edge without the goofiness Eccleston brought.

Not sure how I feel about the new doctor except I wish his accent wasn't so thick.

As far as age, I think they storyline handled it well when it was pointed to clara that even though he looks has looked young in the past, he really is old and the age should't matter.

I haven't watched Into The Dalek yet so hopefully the new Doctor will shine a lot more brightly this week.
I feel like his accent is easier than Karen Gillan's. Though I may be used to it since I binged The Thick of It earlier this year.

geezus give the guy a chance....one fucking episode....Tennant had doubters his first episode too...

geezus give the guy a chance....one fucking episode....Tennant had doubters his first episode too...

I've been a fan since the Tom Baker era...

and frankly, what I'm seeing so far, I don't like. Especially this Dalek episode, where the Doctor really did act like kind of an asshole. (I won't give away more without spoiling it.)

I'm starting to wonder if they have another Colin Baker situation where they signed a guy to shake things up, and he ended up alienating fans instead.

I've been a fan since the Tom Baker era...

and frankly, what I'm seeing so far, I don't like. Especially this Dalek episode, where the Doctor really did act like kind of an asshole. (I won't give away more without spoiling it.)

I'm starting to wonder if they have another Colin Baker situation where they signed a guy to shake things up, and he ended up alienating fans instead.
like i said Joe....give the guy a chance to settle into his Character....if we were at episode 10....then you might have a point....

I think his take, wildly different from Tennant and Smith, is excellent. Having a different actor doing the same things would be boring to me. Capaldi I think is bringing in bits of classic Doctors, and I think a bit of Eccleston as well. He's got the edge without the goofiness Eccleston brought.

The goofiness is why so many like the new Who. Take that away and I think the love goes away as well. Kinda like the difference between the original Battlestar and the new 'edgier' one. There's nothing 'edgy' about a blue police box. Trying to turn that into something hardcore is almost totally antithetical to what Who's become. Can't change your mind now and try a radical shakeup.

I feel like his accent is easier than Karen Gillan's. Though I may be used to it since I binged The Thick of It earlier this year.

Almost enitrely now, character accents, tone, and sound are digitally customized in post-production. Like the guy playing Agent Smith in the Matrix movies, his character sounds nothing like he does in real life. Neither have the new Who doctors especially Tennant.

Spoiler alert, your fave pop stars can't sing to save their lives. hehe

The goofiness is why so many like the new Who. Take that away and I think the love goes away as well. Kinda like the difference between the original Battlestar and the new 'edgier' one. There's nothing 'edgy' about a blue police box. Trying to turn that into something hardcore is almost totally antithetical to what Who's become. Can't change your mind now and try a radical shakeup.
Except the darker, edgier tones have always been there too. This is a character that committed genocide, after all. It's not a radical shakeup. It's just different emphasis.

Almost enitrely now, character accents, tone, and sound are digitally customized in post-production. Like the guy playing Agent Smith in the Matrix movies, his character sounds nothing like he does in real life. Neither have the new Who doctors especially Tennant.

Spoiler alert, your fave pop stars can't sing to save their lives. hehe
Tennant simply did a different accent, it still sounds like him. If they could change it in post-production that much then they could make his American accent in Gracepoint sound better.

I have to agree. I like Capaldi on The Hours. He grows on you, then you end up really liking him. I really enjoy that he has been a fan so long. I cant wait to see where they go.

I have to agree. I like Capaldi on The Hours. He grows on you, then you end up really liking him. I really enjoy that he has been a fan so long. I cant wait to see where they go.
he plays Cardinal Richelieu pretty good on the Musketeers TV show....

Okay, third episode- Robin Hood.

I liked this one a little better than the last two, but the pattern I'm seeing is that they are writing Capaldi as a more fallible Doctor and less of a superhero. No appearance by "Missy" this week, but the ship was looking for the "Promised Land".

The episode "Asylum of the Daleks" from Series Seven seems to provide a clue as to why the Doctor is referred to as "Dr Who".​
the 5th Doctor novel "Divided Loyalties" goes into that.....the Doctor relates to back when he was a student at the Time Lord Academy with the Master and Romana and a few others....they have a day when you pick a name ....the Masters name before he picked the Master was Koschei,....

A problem with episode 4.

So in the episode "Listen," the TARDIS somehow brings Clara to Gallifrey to talk to a young Doctor about fear in the barn where John Hurt's Doctor will later attempt to unleash the Moment during the Time War. The problem is that Gallifrey is time locked and she shouldn't have been able to get there. So is this just a continuity error, or will it be important later, or is there some other explanation?

Forum List

Back