All things Doctor Who!

Okay, here are my thoughts on the episode, which I am going to hide with a spoiler thingee.

1)
Regeneration- Had the biggest problem with this aspect of the episode, but this goes back a couple episodes when they’ve tried to retcon the Doctor’s past to include the John Hurt version. So essentially, the Doctor has used up all 12 regenerations (the Metacrisis counting as a regeneration), and he’s out. Here’s the problem. He never acted like this was an issue up to this point. Quite the contrary, in Let's Kill Hitler, he thought regeneration was an option to beat the poison he’d just been given. In Nightmare in Silver, he thought regeneration would nullify the Cyberplanner. He even used a bit of regeneration energy to heal River Song's hand in Angels Take Manhatten.
So did the Doctor just lose count.

It seems like Moffat wanted to be the guy who resolved the problem.

2) Inconsistent aging. – So why does he age when he’s on Trenzinore but he hasn’t aged in the 300 years between 11th Hour and this episode? In fact, Tennant said in School Reunion "I don't grow old, I regenerate!"

3) The Time Lords- So let me get this straight. They are finally able to send a signal out of the pocket universe the doctor sent them to, and the wait around for 600 years for the Doctor to not do anything?

I have a bunch of problems with this. First, they were supposed to be trapped in a moment of time, how could they be taking action? Second, once they take action, why wait around 600 years for the Doctor to do nothing for them? On that point, why send out a signal that everyone - including the Angry Pepperpots you are at war with- can hear?

On that point, why would everyone else show up? Why would the Sontarrans care if the Time Lords came back, especially since neither side invited them to the Time War to start with? Why would the Slitheen (which weren't even a race, but just one family) get involved?

4) Makes me miss the quiet dignity of “End of Time”. I guess there’s the precedent of “thinking about your companions” before you go, that goes back to Tom Baker.

5) The Silence/Papal Mainframe.
So they're the Good guys, now?

He is my age, and I shall love him. Eye candy is not the reason for the doctor. :)

It is for me. Just when I was getting used to Matt Smith's fringe hanging over his face, some old bastard steals the limelight! He looks half mummified!

Outta start a symbollic petition for all the writers and makers of Dr Who to get Secret Service protection. No known threat to them, but they're just so special and should be protected. :)

It is for me. Just when I was getting used to Matt Smith's fringe hanging over his face, some old bastard steals the limelight! He looks half mummified!

Look, I didn't whine when diaper boy showed up, so you could return the favor.

:eusa_whistle:

Calm down, lovey. ;)

I'm trying to keep an open mind. When Smith first replaced Tennant in that silly couple of minutes after he regenerated... I had real reservations.

Then I saw "The Eleventh Hour", where he showed he had the acting chops to be completely in command of the role.

"Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically... run!"

So I'm willing to keep an open mind on Capaldi.

I couldn't stand Matt Smith, and he is still the Doctor that I liked least. I never really warmed to him - until he left and was replaced by some mummified dude.

You know what, I'm more of an old School Doctor Who fan.

I remember in 1981, when Tom Baker left the role, and they put the "All Creatures Great and Small" guy to replace him, and people didn't warm to him at first. And he infuriated the fans by unravelling Baker's trademark scarf. (At least they had Smith remove his own bowtie.) But eventually, we got used to him. I'm sure out there there was someone who was upset when they replaced Bill Hartnell.

I think it really depends on the writing for the "mummified" dude. Capaldi has given some really good performances in other things, he's a top flight actor. Whether he's good for this role is another question.

I didn't watch the show way back then lol, I wasn't even born. I do recall seeing some old episodes years ago, I think with Tom Baker - not sure.

Extra scenes from the DVD release of Christmas special The Time of the Doctor include one showing Smith reading his final words and being unable to contain his emotion.

He appears most moved when uttering the valedictory line "I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me" and begins crying.

Jenna Coleman said she was so affected by his reaction that she could not look at her co-star.

“All I could see was your hair,” joked Smith of the moment when he made his emotional outburst: “I am not really a sort of a weepie guy. I don’t know what happened to me to be honest with you.”

Doctor Who: Matt Smith cried when he read final lines

The leaked images of Capaldi's new costume as The Doctor.

article-0-1B02ED8400000578-153_306x611.jpg

Meh... not impressed.

Wait, some wag had some fun with it.

doctorwho-peter-capaldi-12th-doctor-memes-05.jpg

Forum List

Back